Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
Can i use the above to plug into my TV at home and record a film,then plug it into my TV in the van and watch the film if i cant get a signal on the TV.

Thanks
rich

:xsmile:

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
That rather depends on whether your home TV can record to USB and whether your Van TV can play from one.

In theory Yes. In practice you may need to record onto the USB from a laptop or other recording device. If you gave the TV models I might have 5 mins to look them up ...

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We record movies to the hard drive in our Humax then download them to a USB stick to use in the van, not often as it takes a while to load the stick.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Might be worth checking that the video formats of the recordings are compatible on both devices. There's a lot of video formats.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Can i use the above to plug into my TV at home and record a film,then plug it into my TV in the van and watch the film if i cant get a signal on the TV.

Thanks
rich

You should through this. We have ours connected to a 1Tb hard drive with all kinds of different video formats and it never fails.

Link Removed

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
You should through this. We have ours connected to a 1Tb hard drive with all kinds of different video formats and it never fails.

Link Removed
Stealaway, without me sounding too thick - How does this thing work ? (Laymans terms please) :xlaugh::xlaugh::xlaugh: Seriously x:-)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Thanks
rich

Don't hold your breath. The nasty words are Digital Rights Management ( DRM ), copyright protect electronically. Basically new recorders, either TV or separate boxes, encrypt the recording so it will not play on any other device.

Older ones did not do this.

I bought a Panasonic recorder to do just this, recorded some films but when I tried transferring them to the PC for storing it could not read the drive, the damned Panasonic had reformatted my drive in a bastard format.

I have solved this problem with a £24 August 400 recorder. It's cheap Chinese and does not follow the protection protocol.

Anyway, try your 2 TVs first it just might work with a USB stick.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

You've misread him I think. He's not saying the USB stick won't work, he's say he wants back-up films for when he can't get an off air signal.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
You've misread him I think. He's not saying the USB stick won't work, he's say he wants back-up films for when he can't get an off air signal.

I assumed he wanted to watch recorded TV/Films saved on a USB stick and watch them on his TV in the van.
I assumed his TV has a USB in socket.

Stealaway, without me sounding too thick - How does this thing work ? (Laymans terms please) :xlaugh::xlaugh::xlaugh: Seriously x:-)

Not all TV's can read all the various formats , you could get lucky and be OK.
This Cyclone devise has a USB slot and will convert almost any format to the TV through a HDMI out cable to the TV.
I use the USB socket for the USB lead from a H/D. It comes with its own remote and is easy to use.

Just spotted this one ---- Link Removed

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Biggest problem is the codecs so many different ones, just to get videos to play on a PC I often download blocks of a 100 codecs. Problem with TV's is you normally can't add codecs so unless the recording is exactly the same format you are stuffed.
All is not lost most TV's will play mp4 files so just use a file conversion program on your PC and convert the avi file to mp4 then it should play on the TV.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs

Link Removed
Can you explain how this works a littl more please. Does this connect between a 1tb and the tv?
EDIT ..I see you answered , so tv must have hdmi slot?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I assumed he wanted to watch recorded TV/Films saved on a USB stick and watch them on his TV in the van.
I assumed his TV has a USB in socket.

That's about how I read it, so I could not understand why you suggested a media player. If the TV has a USB socket I assume it will play files on a USB stick, just because every TV I've come across with a USB socket will. I may be wrong and of course someone else has mentioned incompatible format, so you would be spot if that is the case.

FUN in action, a simple question but never a simple reply.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back