usb compatibility ? (1 Viewer)

Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
any idea on the limitations of the usb to radio slot that sits half way down the dash in the middle - is it just fat-32 ? and what size can it read ? with usb's upto 2 tb now there seems to be no limit except for what can read it.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
any idea on the limitations of the usb to radio slot that sits half way down the dash in the middle - is it just fat-32 ? and what size can it read ? with usb's upto 2 tb now there seems to be no limit except for what can read it.
:unsure: :unsure::unsure::unsure::Eeek:

Gixer

Free Member
Dec 16, 2018
South Wales
Funster No
MH
2018 Chausson EB
Exp
None
Different file systems for different manufacturers - format 2 and try [1 NTFS and 1 Fat32]

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
FAT32 can address up to 2TB I think. So if it will read this file system then that is probably the answer. :)

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
From what I understand, different radios have significantly different limits on the total number of tracks they can play and the number of files or subfolders they can interpret.

Many radios have a limit of 255 or 999 files or folders per directory and can only detect up to 999 files. Some radios increase this to 5,000 or 9,999 tracks. A few units on the market can read an impressive 65,535 files per folder, and there are a couple with supposedly no limits at all

My Kenwood has a 255 limit per folder - so I have put about 10 folders with 200 files each in the root (top) directory it works fine

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Shove one in and see what it does (y)(y);)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
It's dependent upon the unit \ operating system. Our Xtrons Android unit will read up to 32Gb however their later units read higher.

ps our Ferguson TV says a limit of 1Tb but actually reads our 2Tb hdds. It won't read our 4Tb units though.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Nothing to do with the port: it's the operating system of the device behind it.
So, if I take the USB ports on my dashboard (Fiat Ducato MY 2016) and the USB port in the center column do these produce different capabilities i.e. one provides more power than the other, or am I getting confused, and the difference is determined by what device you plug into any given USB port.
Thanks

OP
OP
roadwarrior
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
So, if I take the USB ports on my dashboard (Fiat Ducato MY 2016) and the USB port in the center column do these produce different capabilities i.e. one provides more power than the other, or am I getting confused, and the difference is determined by what device you plug into any given USB port.
Thanks
capabilities yes, power no= all USB ports are 5v, and no, down to the capability of the receiving port or unit.

OP
OP
roadwarrior
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
Different file systems for different manufacturers - format 2 and try [1 NTFS and 1 Fat32]
ntfs is a Microsoft format made windows and as such won't be seen outside of a PC, TV, DVD, amps and audio tend to use fat32, so my original question was, what capacity is the dashboard USB likely to be? 32gb is a given, my music collection exceeds 128GB on a stick.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
ntfs is a Microsoft format made windows and as such won't be seen outside of a PC, TV, DVD, amps and audio tend to use fat32, so my original question was, what capacity is the dashboard USB likely to be? 32gb is a given, my music collection exceeds 128GB on a stick.
Your dashboard connections will support any capacity size \ format of disc \ stick connected to it! Capacity \ format is determined by the head unit connected to it. The specification of the unit will, normally, stipulate what these are. If it doesn't, I would suggest you try different capacity sticks to see what it accepts.
I generally use NTFS (however EXT4 for Linux) as FAT32 has a file size limitation of 4Gb which is exceed by some movie files. Both NTFS and FAT32 are supported by our car and motorhome head units up to 32Gb. I've tried higher with no success. However, as stated in #10 our TV supports in excess of it's published 1Tb limitation up to 2Tb.
The other option could be to compress your audio files so they fit onto a stick that your head unit supports however that could (would) lead to reduced quality.

ps be aware some USB sockets only supply power (no data connection) as these are used for power \ charging only. An example would be where a cigarette socket has been changed to a USB outlet.

OP
OP
roadwarrior
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
YES, i know its takes 32 gb happily, my goal is to find a way to play my entire 128gb music collection on a stick, but i have found it wont take a 500gm formatted to fat32 so dont expect it to read ntfs. i might try a 256 gb in an usb adapter. Its just me being curious, i can of course bluetooth my music but as i say im curious, the radio is the uconnect 5|" circa 2017, rather rubbish all told but i believe its integrated even upto the ecu so im stuck with it really.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Thanks
Some are limited to 1A (the original USB standard) but as is the way with standards they're adapted to suit present need. Some will supply up to 5A. It doesn't matter to the user attempting to charge a battery powered device. Whatever you plug in will accept what it can / what its maker allowed. The ports are 5v and anything you plug in will charge. Bottom line is certain devices charge faster in certain USB ports but you don't need to think about it when plugging in.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
YES, i know its takes 32 gb happily, my goal is to find a way to play my entire 128gb music collection on a stick, but i have found it wont take a 500gm formatted to fat32 so dont expect it to read ntfs. i might try a 256 gb in an usb adapter. Its just me being curious, i can of course bluetooth my music but as i say im curious, the radio is the uconnect 5|" circa 2017, rather rubbish all told but i believe its integrated even upto the ecu so im stuck with it really.
If the head unit is limited to x it will, almost certainly, not read higher than x. The only options I know of that may fix this is a firmware update to the head unit or change the head unit. uConnect website says says check the user manual on the supplied DVD for USB formats \ capacities \ etc.
As the old saying goes you can't get a quart into a pint pot!
Another analogy would be pouring liquid into a funnel, you can pour (virtually) any volume into it but it will only allow a maximum flow through it! The bottom end of it being the head unit.

OP
OP
roadwarrior
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
As I said it's just too much trouble for me to change the head unit just for that, so it's just curiosity and wondering what happens next if.. I so to speak, I will just use Bluetooth for music, but the Tom Tom I never look at as I'm as using my stand alone Tom Tom ironically which is much better 🤔

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back