Jun 24, 2013
Hampshire UK
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008. Owned since July 2013.
Hi all,

Our Ducato has two cigar lighter sockets in the cab. Found some USB chargers on eBay for less than £5 delivered and it turns out they fit perfectly into the cigar lighter hole - so now we have a cigar lighter socket and two USB sockets.
charger.jpg
The panel is a complete *&^$ to remove, but once you're in there, the connector on the back of the original socket has three pins - ground, switched live and lighting. If you pull the terminals out and swap around the live and lighting pins, it fits straight onto the back of the USB charger - no soldering or rewiring required. Didn't take any photos, sorry, but it's dead easy.

Here's the charger I bought:
Broken Link Removed

Word of warning, though. Although the sockets say 2.1 and 1A, in fact they don't charge that fast for me. I don't know why - I've never got my Samsung phone or tablet to fast charge with anything other than the original Samsung charger. Using any other charger they seem to default to the basic 0.5A charging. Still, better than an adapter which falls out all the time. After a hunt on t'internet I suspect maybe Apple products would fast-charge, but anyway our Samsung ones don't.

-Mark

OP
OP
M

marksmith

Free Member
Jun 24, 2013
Hampshire UK
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
Ah yes, that's the thread I saw which led me to the chargers on eBay - I couldn't find it to mention.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Mark,
I have to get behind that socket to tap off some power for my reversing camera. I've spent the last two hours figuring out what needs to be removed without success. How did you gain access?

OP
OP
M

marksmith

Free Member
Jun 24, 2013
Hampshire UK
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
I dismantled a LOAD of stuff trying to work it out, and I'm not sure I can remember for certain, but in the end I think these are the bits I removed in the end:

Two screws underneath (visible in my photo). Pull the knob off the lever which selects recirc/fresh air - VERY stiff but it will come. Remove the insert from the ash tray and remove two screws behinds it. Bend the panel above forward slightly and you can get a screwdriver in to remove the top two screws. I think that was all - or maybe I had to remove a screw of two at the side of the glove box "jamb". Sorry I can't really remember.

However a few days ago I started to wonder whether I should have started from the top - remove the bolts holding the map holder, then work down past the stereo, vents etc.

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I've played with the map holder. I want to take the cable from the monitor through the dash at the rear of this. Any hole would be invisible. Removing the two screws doesn't achieve anything. I think the radio may need removing first. I have another play tomorrow.

OP
OP
M

marksmith

Free Member
Jun 24, 2013
Hampshire UK
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
It is a massive faff, I remember that much. But I was able to get in from below to change the lighter socket. A couple of things were also quite stiff and I had to cross my fingers and hope something didn't snap. Nothing did, fortunately.

Chris & Vickie

Free Member
Sep 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbie 1 year
Stevec,
Why don't you tap off the back of the radio power for the reversing camera? Much easier to get to.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
No need to dismantle your van, use one of these.

Broken Link Removed

Chris & Vickie

Free Member
Sep 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbie 1 year
Bobby22 careful I had one of those and it blew up on me,
A little smoke came out and then it went pop, needles to say it doesn't work anymore.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
This is without doubt the best IMHO and at this offer price of £9.99 is a steal
Broken Link Removed

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Bobby22 careful I had one of those and it blew up on me,
A little smoke came out and then it went pop, needles to say it doesn't work anymore.
Chris i got mine from Halfords
I have just got 1 of these griffen dual from work for my works Merc.....so hope it's better quality

Chris & Vickie

Free Member
Sep 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbie 1 year
Maybe mine was just a duff one, but I wouldn't leave it in a permanently live socket just to stay safe.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Your probably blocked out now Chris, but you points have been taken on board.

BTW for a £10 you won't regret it , subscribe and stay on in touch :emo:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back