Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
looking at binning off all the cigarette socket points and replacing them with USB only charge ports.

Also looking at putting some in rear to use from leisure battery so we can charge stuff overnight .

Any reccomendations?

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I fitted a 12 v meter and USB skts in my van using the leisure battery as the supply, that way I can monitor the voltage. Found mine on EBay about £10.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just be aware that a USB socket generally takes longer to re-charge something than a ciggy type socket so whilst they may be more convenient they will be slower - our sat nav takes out more juice in use than the USB cable can put back into it so we've reverted back to a ciggy lighter for that.

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Sorry I'm not that good with computers but if you type in what I've suggested you should get a choice. I'm sure someone on here reading this will soon oblige. Good luck.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've just realised you said about charging overnight ... IMV you should NEVER leave a gadget charger on overnight or when you're not in the MH ... they can sometimes overheat and melt and cause a fire.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
XCSOURCE is like mine on amazon 12v meter, cigar skt and 2x USB skts flush mounted.

OP
OP
PhilG

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Just be aware that a USB socket generally takes longer to re-charge something than a ciggy type socket so whilst they may be more convenient they will be slower - our sat nav takes out more juice in use than the USB cable can put back into it so we've reverted back to a ciggy lighter for that.

Even if its wired to the same feed?

I am over ciggy lighter sockets, the weight of the cables pulls them out, and they always stop charging and shut down right when you really need them. If i can run a socket to each side of the dash, we can charge both phones and have satnav and tablets on too.. and if we can do the same in the back for when we are off mains, that would be cool.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

I am over ciggy lighter sockets, the weight of the cables pulls them out, and they always stop charging and shut down right when you really need them. If i can run a socket to each side of the dash, we can charge both phones and have satnav and tablets on too.. and if we can do the same in the back for when we are off mains, that would be cool.
If we use a ciggy lighter lead plugged into the cab outlets for the sat nav, no problem at all, if we use a USB one in the same socket it never charges it as much.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
You just need to make sure the output of any USB socket is around 2.1 amps, this is OK to charge tablets, the smaller output ones are only good for phones.

The USB converters which fit in the cigar sockets are the same. I have one with two sockets, one for tablets and one for phones. Doesn't matter which one you plug the phone in, but put tablet in the wrong one, and its Xmas before its charged.:)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

There are different sorts of USB socket, I suggest look for ones which can produce at least 2 amps. Then use the shortest lead you can to connect the device to the socket. If you need a long lead look for a nice thick one. I bought three 1.8m long leads with a braided cover off Amazon for a tenner this week.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
The one I posted is quick charge 2amps our phones charge quickly and so does the tablet

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
There are also fast charge usb adapters which are not the same as a 2.1a charger. My Galaxy Note charges a flat battery up a lot faster on a fast charge socket rather than a 2.1a socket.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The leads I bought, mentioned above, were these. Well made, good value. Don't be taken in by the express delivery scam. They came in a couple of days with the standard delivery option.

Amazon product ASIN B01N10LIOX

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back