Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Hi all,

Apart from the cost, our main concerns about purchasing a MH is whether we will get enough use out of it, so my question is…

When you first thought about purchasing your MH's, what sort of usage did you think you were going to get out of it and has it met or exceeded your expectations?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Not so!
On my last jaunt to France we were there just short of three weeks,my total spends including ferry,diesel,site fees and spends was less than £1500 quid.
We ended up at a site on the med and kids had the best holiday ever.
Before the van a fortnight abroad was costing us around £3500 ,so even if we just used it for 4 weeks we'd be saving a fortune.::bigsmile:
By using it a lot more I soon hope to be minted:winky:.

Vlad

My figure was what the MH costs before you even drive it an inch. If you really did use your vehicle for 3 weeks a year by your figures those 3 weeks would cost you £1500 plus VED, insurance, depreciation, servicing plus any repairs that might be needed. Those 3 weeks away suddenly look very expensive - if you only used the vehicle a few weeks a year. Use it a lot and each individual week is cheaper as the cost of ownership is spread further. Hardly rocket science but worth keeping at the back of your mind and a good reason for getting the beast out on the road!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lisa

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Thanks for everyones replies and input, it's interesting and I really appreciate it.

I'm guessing that we would have a couple of weeks holidays in it and the rest of the time we would use it for over nighters, something that we wouldn't want or have the inclination to do in a caravan.

Hoping the right one comes along now :Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
we try to use ours at least once a month for a few days with one long holiday during the year of 14 or so days.
Last year however, due to this and that we stopped the first week in October, the thing sat, unloved, until the Chester outing:Sad:

Silly Billy us:Doh:

Upvote 0

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
There is a cost factor to consider. For example, if you only used it 3 weeks a year each week could easily cost you a thousand pounds, taking into account insurance, tax, servicing and depreciation. The latter of course is a movable feast depending on the age of the vehicle and price paid. However, for a thousand pounds a week ............:Doh:

Dear Mr Beekeeper Perhaps you've been stung!
My insurance is £285,Tax £180,servicing around £250,had a moveable feast as bought van sensibly::bigsmile:
Unless you've bought a top of the range van and are facing massive depreciation how could it cost 3 grand for 3weeks usage?

Vlad

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
There is a cost factor to consider. For example, if you only used it 3 weeks a year each week could easily cost you a thousand pounds, taking into account insurance, tax, servicing and depreciation. The latter of course is a movable feast depending on the age of the vehicle and price paid. However, for a thousand pounds a week ............:Doh:

Dear Mr Beekeeper Perhaps you've been stung!
My insurance is £285,Tax £180,servicing around £250,had a moveable feast as bought van sensibly::bigsmile:
Unless you've bought a top of the range van and are facing massive depreciation how could it cost 3 grand for 3weeks usage?

Vlad

Unfortunately MHs depreciate, it's a fact of life for most owners, very, very few are able to buy and then sell at the same price! So:

Vehicle:
£300 = Insurance
£215 = Tax
£150 = Base service
£150 = Hab service
£815

Holiday:
£250 = Campsites for 3 weeks
£500 = Fuel (will depend on distance & country, this equates to roughly 2500 miles)
£100 = Ferry (?)
£850

So that's £1665 just for holiday and vehicle maintenance/legal requirements, add in £3000+ for depreciation which makes £4665 per annum.

So if you only use it for 3 weeks holiday that works out at £1555 per week, or £222 per day!!! :Eeek:

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Still working full time and managed 69 nights last year. Hoping to do the same or more this year. Growing year on year. It's great. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Your missing the point,if you didn't have your van how much would your holiday cost!
The cost of owning a van over a year is just your insurance,tax,servicing, to include the cost of a holiday that would cost 3 or 4 times more without a van doesn't come into it.If your looking at £3000 depreciation a year you've enough money to enjoy your van and not worry about a few running costs.

Vlad

Upvote 0

LucyCaitlynW

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
Ford Golden Eagle Transit
Exp
I'm a newbie of 2 days
I bought mine on impulse :Blush: saw it advertised on Ebay and had
the money. Knew I'd never be in this position again :ROFLMAO:
I do have to organise home/pet sitters (4 cats & Chameleon ) +
cover for Brother in law with dementia, but I've had 2 trips of
1 week and 1 2 week break since August 13.
Planning a break each month from May-Nov 7-15 days + Detling Show.
I didn't holiday before mh as disabled and found facilities varied so much
it wasn't worth the risk. No probs now ::bigsmile:
When I'm not able to "go away" I pack up a picnic basket, some craft
activities and go off for the day. Great r&r!
Also use it as craft room/studio I don't have to put away projects in mid flow ::bigsmile:
Don't regret buying it for one nanno second :Smile:
Lucy

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lisa

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
I bought mine on impulse :Blush: saw it advertised on Ebay and had
the money. Knew I'd never be in this position again :ROFLMAO:
I do have to organise home/pet sitters (4 cats & Chameleon ) +
cover for Brother in law with dementia, but I've had 2 trips of
1 week and 1 2 week break since August 13.
Planning a break each month from May-Nov 7-15 days + Detling Show.
I didn't holiday before mh as disabled and found facilities varied so much
it wasn't worth the risk. No probs now ::bigsmile:
When I'm not able to "go away" I pack up a picnic basket, some craft
activities and go off for the day. Great r&r!
Also use it as craft room/studio I don't have to put away projects in mid flow ::bigsmile:
Don't regret buying it for one nanno second :Smile:
Lucy

Good for you Lucy! Sounds like you made a great impulse purchase :Smile:

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Your missing the point,if you didn't have your van how much would your holiday cost!
The cost of owning a van over a year is just your insurance,tax,servicing, to include the cost of a holiday that would cost 3 or 4 times more without a van doesn't come into it.If your looking at £3000 depreciation a year you've enough money to enjoy your van and not worry about a few running costs.

Vlad

Okay a good 3 week holiday for 2 people would probably cost around £1200-£1500 per person, depending on when it was taken, so £2400-£3000.

If you take the figures on my posting above and remove the holiday bits and that still comes out at £3815 JUST TO OWN IT without using it for a holiday ... are you really telling me that you would spend that amount of money on a 3 week holiday! :whatthe: In addition there is also the cost of buying a MH in the first place, if thsi is done on a loan that will be a lot of money on top each month, if not and you use savings, then obviously you have lost interest on that money.

All I am trying to say is that owning a MH is NOT a cheap option, certainly more than the cost of a 3 week holiday each year so if that's all someone is likely to be able to use it for, with an odd weekend away too, perhaps the 'realities' of ownership should be carefully considered to avoid a costly 'mistake', if it is still deemed to be worth the expense then so be it, but at least they decision will have been made after full thought has been given to the ins and outs of it. :RollEyes:

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2012
Wakefield
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
we bought our MH last september and promised ourselves we would use it at least once a month and we have, this was throughout winter so we are looking forward to some sunshine and warmer weather we have booked to go to France for 2 weeks in June. We love it, but have found a lot of jobs are not getting done at home but somehow they don't seem quite as important now
Gail

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lisa

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
we bought our MH last september and promised ourselves we would use it at least once a month and we have, this was throughout winter so we are looking forward to some sunshine and warmer weather we have booked to go to France for 2 weeks in June. We love it, but have found a lot of jobs are not getting done at home but somehow they don't seem quite as important now
Gail

The jobs will always be there :winky: I think that is where we are at now….life is just too short! Have fun in France :Smile:

Upvote 0

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
but just think when you have paid for it.and it all yours.then it pays for its self.and all those cheap holls.:thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Its not just about the cost per holiday, for us its the camping lifestyle we love but in comfort. We do have one or two main holidays in it to France but its the extras that make it worth every penny, Rallys weekends away which we would not otherwise have had, meeting new friends. I retire 8 weeks today and Nick in April next year and then we will use it far more, hopefully we will upgrade to a Vantage Neo but we know we love it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lisa

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Its not just about the cost per holiday, for us its the camping lifestyle we love but in comfort. We do have one or two main holidays in it to France but its the extras that make it worth every penny, Rallys weekends away which we would not otherwise have had, meeting new friends. I retire 8 weeks today and Nick in April next year and then we will use it far more, hopefully we will upgrade to a Vantage Neo but we know we love it.

Good point :Smile:

I'm [STRIKE]dreading[/STRIKE] looking forward to going to a first Rally and meeting the Funsters :roflmto::roflmto:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back