US trip in Elsie's 33 year old Californian cousin. (1 Viewer)

Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Europe & USA since April '21
Hi all, we've temporarily swapped Elsie for 'Peggy Sue'. She's an old gal but still capable of shuffling us around . We're currently in wine country. But off to see the elephant seals in Santa Cruz for breakfast.
IMG_20220125_163845921_HDR.jpg

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Looks great, did you do a camper swop with someone from the states.

OP
OP
daveclare
Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
We're lucky we have a friend who lives near Santa Clarita who just said " Come over and take the RV on a trip".

To good an offer to turn down. She's an old gal but everything works as it should and the heater packs a punch for the cold crisp nights

We don't even mind a fuel gauge that loves heading south very quickly.

OP
OP
daveclare
Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Forgot to add. Had a near miss yesterday going along 17 Mile Drive. A truck coming the other way stuck some power lines with its roof and brought them down into our path. Slammed the brakes on and they fell about 6 inches in front of us.

Old Peggy Sue's tyres were smoking, a well as my undies:swear:. Driver of truck carried on regardless.

OP
OP
daveclare
Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Just experienced our first snobby RV camp. Because Peggy Sue is over 10 years old they wanted all around photos and........ Copies of ALL maintenance records. Told them to stick it.

Can't wait to get back to a free and easy, relaxed CMC site:LOL:

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
We're lucky we have a friend who lives near Santa Clarita who just said " Come over and take the RV on a trip".

To good an offer to turn down. She's an old gal but everything works as it should and the heater packs a punch for the cold crisp nights

We don't even mind a fuel gauge that loves heading south very quickly.
What it's not a euro 6 diesel?!!!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Less said about Santa Cruz the better
You just gotta love the trashiness of the Boardwalk. Tasted my first (and last) Corn Dog there.

Monterey on the other side of the bay, with Fisherman's Wharf and the Aquarium, is quite a contrast.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
daveclare
Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Arrived in Napa yesterday. To be 'greeted' by Mr. Rude, arrogant 'camp host'. He instantly had a go at us for reversing up a road. I said it was because the entrance was coned off and the instructions told us 'if there was nobody in reception, pull up to the camp host RV'. Which we did.

When I pointed out that he was rude and arrogant, he absolutely flipped.

Goodbye Nappa, Hello Moss Landing.

Moss Landing. Near a nice marina but overshadowed by a rather large imposing power station.

Oh well, must try better next time!

OP
OP
daveclare
Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Arrived back from trip. Got as far up as Nappa and as far down as Ventura. Some school of life lessons learned:

1. As in UK, motorhoming American style is not cheap. Average cost of privately owned site pitches is over $100, with some as much as $140. State pitches were $50 ish.

2. Driving a 29 year old 9 miles to the gallon V8 RV is not cheap. Total cost of fuel for 7 day trip was just over $700. Yes $700.

3. For a supposedly 'classless society', they are very class driven. Four sites refused our booking because the RV was over 10 years old. One refused because we were not the owners of the vehicle.

4. Site facilities were inferior to the ones we've used in UK and Europe.

5. As with reviews back home, a 5 star review means nothing. In typical US style, exaggeration is commonplace.

6. As with UK, there has been an explosion of RV and fifth wheel sales. I'm told that as a result, some sites are milking it for what it's worth. With many premium locations booked up 6 to 9 months in advance, even when pitch costs are doubling.

7. Many in California can't afford to buy a house, so live full time in their RV. We've seen many which make Walt's Breaking Bad RV look like a Morelo Palace.

8. Spending time in very different RV to the one we have back home and visiting different places with different people has just strengthened our desire to carry on doing what we enjoy.

9. It's much, much easier managing black waste US style....as long as you fix the pipe SECURELY to the outlet.

10. Sites have much more room to manoeuvre around.

11. Up to 50amps supply means you can bring your Hot Rod style Golf Buggy with you, just to get to the trash bins and back, really.

And finally. It is rather strange when nobody understands a single word you say. Nobody wants to talk to you, especially when they think you come from czechoslovakia. Must remember that when I'm taking the ferry across the Mers........Danube!

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Strange,

We have been to California a couple of times getting round in a hire car and staying at hotels and motels. Mind you that was 18 to 20 years ago! In addition we spend a month each year (except the last two!) in New Jersey where our daughter now lives.

We found people are very open and polite and most were interested in talking to us. Just sit at the bar and they soon strike up a conversation. Mind you our daughter says that the people on both coasts are like that. She reckons the further they get away from the sea the more insular they get!!

OP
OP
daveclare
Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Yes this was inland. I know that we can talk quicker than most, coming from Liverpool. But most of the time I had to repeat myself, even when talking slowly. Which felt quite strange.

OP
OP
daveclare
Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Yes we've had that many times in the past. But that's when they know you're English. Some have never heard of Liverpool. I usually follow up with 'home of the Beatles'. But on this trip......bushweed flows across the road whilst waiting for an answer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back