US imported 5th Wheeler 12V issue (1 Viewer)

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Hi

We dont have a 5th wheeler but we're on holiday in Spain and a guys just arrived on the site with an issue with his rig. I asked if he's a funster but isnt, shared the site URL with him ::bigsmile: but said I'd ask the question on his behalf.

He says he dropped a spanner in the fuse box last night in the dark and shorted out the 12V. Here on the campsite while connected to 240V everything is working ok, but as soon as he goes back on the road he doesnt have 12V. He's checked all the fuses/breakers etc but everything looks fine.

Its a long shot (he says he US rigs are different wiring) but does anyone have any pointer to help?

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I assume it was the 12v fuse box.

there may be a master fuse near the battery bank or in/near the battery isolator switch.

shorting the fuse box should only weld the spanner between a live and earth, which would blow the master fuse, and as everything works on hookup that only leaves the master fuse....or possibly destroyed the master switch or relay...but my guess is the fuse.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Thanks pappajohn, i went down to their pitch and told them your suggestion, we check the master fuse, there was a nice shiny gold one in there, all ok.

He then found an fat earth wire burnt in the rear left inspection hatch, spliced it, and re-joined, everything sprung into action. The side pods are now out and he's about to have a cold beer to celebrate (he's been looking for hours for the issue).

Cheers

::bigsmile::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
does he reckon it's worth spending a tenner for that tip::bigsmile:::bigsmile:
Nigel & Pamala
I was a bit concerned that the front (and rear) legs would not operate---also his slides------although they can be operated manually:Smile:------Unless I am mistaken the 'fridge requires 12v to operate?????

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back