US C-class GVW and axle weights (1 Viewer)

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
all, can you give me an approximate GVW for your RV ? (C-class) , and axle weights?

I just want to get a very approximate idea.... mine does not have the plate, and no one knows anything about it's payload...

I just want to get an idea to begin with.. i realise newer slide units will be a different kettle of fish..

thanks
John

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
VIN Plates?

Hi

Are you absolutely sure you have no record? Vin plates on US vehicles are notoriusly elusive. You may have to grovel in out of the way places on chassis Rails etc. The marks for the COACH tend to be hidded behind seats, buried in lockers, or even buit in behind furniture

My A Class has two one under the "hood" (except being a pusher its not) and the other buried behind the rackandroll bed!!

pete

OP
OP
johng

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
Pete I have really tried :ROFLMAO:

nothing anywhere..

DVLA have no idea, VOSA have no idea,.. tempted just to make one up ! ::bigsmile:

so far I have

GVW, plated 10500lbs, which I worked out as 4.75 tons give or take, from Dodgey...

and a guy in the US who is supposed to have same van as me

GVWR 8900 lbs
GAWR Front 3400 lbs
GAWR Rear 6000 lbs

I am over this GVW with one passenger!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
will look 2moro at my manuals winnie 20ft on chevy g30 5.7 motor give you some idea

OP
OP
johng

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
Ginge many thanks !

I have a G30 and a 5.7 , but 23 foot. I really want you to agree with the second set of numbers :)

John

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Ginge many thanks !

I have a G30 and a 5.7 , but 23 foot. I really want you to agree with the second set of numbers :)

John
I will agree with them if you think it will help:thumb:
But it wont:Eeek:
you realy need the correct data for your specific vehicle, if Linda from stateside or Duncan pops on they may have, or could get the info you require
apply a rough figure gleaned from other members data is nothing more than a guess

OP
OP
johng

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
Geo ! i just knew someone would say this! :ROFLMAO::Cool:

Duncan couldnt help last time, i am quite sure I asked Linda a year or two ago, West Mid RV couldnt help..

I really really really realise that guessing the weight is sooooooooo wrong..

i dont know why i asked.. just wanted some thoughts really...

my van is very very old

the coachbuilder died off over 20 year ago...

Last edited:

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
hi john weights as fowllows incomplete vehicle gvwr 10-200lb/4,627kg

frt-3,900lb/1,769kg
rr7,200lb / 3266 kg vehicle supplied by genral motors

tire 8.00x16.50 rim 16.5x6.00 psi 60 413k pa single
pa dual

this is the plate info and is a 21-22 foot acording to plate

i wouled think that the base vehicle would be the same hope this helps

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Hi John

It would be useful to know who the coachbuilder was.......obviously not GMC as they only built one motorhome from scratch and production ceased long before yours was built.

You might be better off locating people with the identical vehicle to yours, perhaps take a look at the links at the bottom of this article..... The GMC MotorHome - GMnext

OP
OP
johng

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
Ginge many thanks ::bigsmile: (have you any pics of yours, just by way of comparing?)

Olley, been there.. I really have tried a lot to gain this info.. believe me :)

Lindy, Hi ::bigsmile: I did that and found a supposed same van/builder... although there is some discrepency in the length of his RV compared to mine... his GVW I am already exceeding.. with 2 adults and a normally loaded van.. (see figures from my ealry post)

Midas were the coachbuilders...Freeport the model, Van is standard issue rear corner bed/bathroom. single dinette etc etc based on a G30 Vandura chassis, 5.7 and 3 speed auto...

The braking system is able to deal with a GVW of between 10 and 11,000 LBS according to a manual I have and the chassis number...

John

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I would suggest that you go to the base vehicle manufacturer, as the converter /builder has no real relevance to the GVW , its the chassis that matters.
You will need to quote the VIN they will then be able to give you the line build details , the converter/builder will have most likely bought the chassis with the springs etc for the completed vehicle in mind (unlikely to fit aftermarket springs as this would only add to his initial costs). Hopefully this will allow you to compare your axle and total weights now with the right results. If you find that you are going to be overweight then you will have to do data on suspension component comparisons , to ascertain if its GVW etc has been upgraded. The springs capacity could be found by enquiry with any good spring manufactuer, after supply of data as to number, dimensions of leaves etc . HTSH

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
pics on the albums much the same as yours the figures given were off gmc for the chasise cab before the body was put on winnebago midas lindy lots of builders used this base winniebago industries web site have old spec sheets on there site also and there is no differance between wc421-423 those numbers show 4 berth 21ft -4berth 23 feet same engine axle weights etc

OP
OP
johng

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
thanks both for that :Cool:

will have a look at yours Ginge

by the way, I am in North Wales on Sunday!
John

Just had a look, yep base vehicle looks identical.. mine has a different layout inside, windows etc..

:)

Last edited:
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
As an aside, although still on topic (vaguely) there are a couple of useful articles for anyone still scratching their heads over vehicle weights here: Understanding RV Weights and here: Link Removed
They may be of help to someone.

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
thanks both for that :Cool:

will have a look at yours Ginge

by the way, I am in North Wales on Sunday!
John

Just had a look, yep base vehicle looks identical.. mine has a different layout inside, windows etc..

:)

ye layout is differant but you will find base is the same its just like they use transits fiats etc
fords had a slightly heavier gvtw at 11,000lbs but think you will find all chevy base campers have the same basic running gear around that age you can tell of the vin number too if its the same base

i will be around llangollen sat sun at vally crusies abby bottom of the horseshoe pass a bit of a vw meet t25 campers but will be in the chevy if you anywhere near there or home later sun near wrexham

OP
OP
johng

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
thanks Linda will take a look
:Smile:
Ginge, I am picking up a car from a village called Llansannan sometime Sunday morning/lunch.
Also, i have someone from Anglesea meeting me to give me a gearbox...
I am not even sure how I am getting there yet, a train from Euston to Wrexham seems the best bet at this stage.
yep would be good to catch up for a natter and a cup of tea nad to see the chevy :)

will pm you later with phone number etc
::bigsmile:
John

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
thats not the easiest places to get to on a sunday ask the guy to meet you in wrexham buses are like non existant up here on sundays

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
just thinking easier to catch the train to abergelle its on the way to holy head then about 8 mile from there other wise its a good distance from wrexham the guy from anglsey could meet you there too easy to get too

OP
OP
johng

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
thanks Ginge

£75 gets me 5 hours on a Train to Abergele..
1.30, I should be driving by 2-30..

by then you'll be on your way back?

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
say so ye

OP
OP
johng

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
Well, made it to North Wales and the excellant Horseshoe cafe, met Ginge and his wife, and a couple of others, for a good natter :)
really nice to catch up with someone who knows so much about RV's and a couple who are very into the whole camper thing, plus the interest in the bikes (dont ask Ginge how many he has!)

we confirmed we have exactly the same chassis, engines, drivetrains etc.. I am a bit heavier as mine build is about 2 feet longer, because of this my payload is likely to be slightly less.. If I add a bike to the back and keep the genny in, I will be over a touch I expect.

anyway, a great weekend and great to chat with a 'funster'

the only bad thing was, I was in the mountains, at a cafe in the sun, and didnt have either the RV or my VFR - just a plain old car...

so felt sad :(

:ROFLMAO:

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
good to meet you too maybe next time in the camper with the bike too ohh we got another cup in our van :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
johng

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
you may get another cup Ginge :)

ok the van passed the MOT yesterday... :) (1.5 years since last seeing tarmac!, cooling system, steering, emmisions, electrci fans, enging and autobox oil and filter chages - all done by me in that time)

main complaint was it's a bit lean.. going to dive back in to the qjet carb for the third time.. :cry:

some figures and thoughts concerning the bike rack (and kawasaki 250 bike I built last year) - feel free to pull apart my notes, or add to them :)

Assumed chassis figures: (from Ginge)
incomplete G30 chassis
GVW 4627
FA 1769
RA 3266

Previous MOT Weight 4350 approx - Jan 2008 - different weighbridge (2 adults, partial loading)

Actual weights, April 2009, van empty, all empty tanks, [empty LPG cylinder / genny / 1 x driver were only loading..]
Vehicle Weight 4035
Front axle 1281 (488 under)
Rear axle 2754 (512 under)

notes:

Removal of Gennie - ~ -100kgs / about 2 meters behind rear axle, and to one side.. (the lower sitting side)

Motorbike and (updated rack) - ~ +160kgs / 2.7 meters behind centre of rear axle.
Fuel - ~up to +100KGs ? near rear axle.
LPG ~ +80Kgs, longitudunal placement, from 1m behind rear axle, back about 1.5m
Black / Grey tanks.... quite far back..
Freshwater tank a long way forward
Weight to be placed in lockers, minimal..
Max 4 adults travelling, weight mainly over front / partially over rear...

The weight of the bike/rack is the same no matter how far back it is on the van… 160 kgs is always 160kgs.. being stopped and weighed by the law would mean the van is underweight… the issue is, what effect does 160 kgs bouncing up and down, way out back, have on a/ the steering, and b/ the chassis rails and c/ the leaf springs..

A simple test of two people jumping on the rack, a total of :Smile: 260kgs (Including a very heavy rack), made almost no difference to the van….

will update tyre loadings later, from memory they were all capable of 1000kgs at 60spi or so...

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
The weight of the bike/rack is the same no matter how far back it is on the van… 160 kgs is always 160kgs.. being stopped and weighed by the law would mean the van is underweight… the issue is, what effect does 160 kgs bouncing up and down, way out back, have on a/ the steering, and b/ the chassis rails and c/ the leaf springs..

But the load it imposes on the rear axle isn't, the further it's from the rear axle the more weight is transferred from the front axle to the rear axle. When I fitted an easylifter and bike, the increase in the "tail wagging the dog" syndrome was noticeable.

Olley

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back