Urgent info re leaving UK with Dog (1 Viewer)

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Although I am a regular traveller to Europe with the Dog, have not been over for two years. Leaving on the 7th July now doing all the pre checks, then slight problem. Noticed dog rabies jab has expired. Quick check on web and clearly said new regs since 2012 cannot enter UK until 21 days after jab. No problem I thinks as we are away for five weeks. Go to Vet. Vet say you got problem, he explains that even going into France you have to wait 21 days. What I say thats mad. In the past never had dog checked on way out of UK. It appears all changed in 2012. So my question to any travellers who have taken dog through Dover recently, do they check the dog passport on leaving UK. I just can't see the problem anybody can live in Portugal drive through Spain, France to Germany and they will never need to show Pet passport or probably never have one.

What a mess any latest info would be helpful, may consider just turning up and see if I get stopped.:Angry:

Philiphall

Free Member
Dec 28, 2012
Department 87, Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A few years now had a break but back with a MH now
Hi

We travelled with our dog about a month ago - the ferry company did indeed check the pet passport on the way out and they give you a large sticker to put on the van to say there is a pet on board.

You also have to make sure you have visited a vet in France at least 24 hours before travelling back (and not more than 5 days before travelling) it costs us 45 euros to get the injection to cover the worming, this is a UK government requirement for dogs coming back into the UK. The vet has to date and time the injection.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Quick answer. No passport check for dog on leaving UK. No time specified for the rabies jab having been given either....you could leave without one but your dog would be unable to return. I would question if it is just a booster required now or a course (was it two?) of the rabies vaccination. Jane

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jazzbow

Free Member
May 13, 2012
West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
new
we went through the tunnel 3 weeks ago, no checks

3 days before our return our dog was given a good check over by the french vet, he administered worming tablets,( he wouldn't use the ones we had taken with us), and charged 40 euro

Last edited:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I just had a look, it seems to be just one injection even if you have let a booster lapse, I was probably thinking of the old way with blood tests. Yes 21 days before return. Our dog has always had a pill for the worming side of things. Yes they do put a sticker in the screen to show a pet on board (on the ferry anyway) but usually just ask if you are carrying one, after all they charge! Jane

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
LD Lines

They checked our pet passports on the Newhaven Dieppe ferry in October leaving the UK,that is the first time in 12 years
Alan

Bulawayo Lass

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Mud Island, nr Mudchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
long (with Brian) short (alone) medium (with Andy)
Depending on when the booster lapsed your vet may refuse to do it with out a full course. One l worked at say full couse under a week to me a blatant rip off.
Some will allow 3 weeks others 1 month some longer before a full course. Suggest you ring straight away and check.

And if vets using lepto 4 refuse and get lepto 2 insist on it.
4 is new vac and nothing wrong other than not compatible with lepto 2 and dogs need new restart of vaccines and instead of 1 week post final vac to go out is about 4 total bloody rip off.

OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Thanks

Thank you everyone, I appreciate your in put. I know the process about coming back as i have frequently travelled with the pouch, its the bit round the new 21 days that I have the problem with. I just cannot see why I would need to wait 21 days in the UK before entering France when as I said earlier other European Countries have no boarder control to challenge any pet passport. I shall just turn up if the say no,Kent is nice this time of year for a week then we shall go.
See you all on our travels
:Doh:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
No one has ever checked my pet passports going into Fance. Travelled from UK (over a dozen times?) by ferry /tunnel.
Flown into Paris from Cyprus 1x dog 3x cats)
Flown into Spain from Cyprus then road into France ( 1x dog)
Never been asked for them once.

The sticker on the car is just so ferry crew know you have animal left in vehicle on board. And they tend to put pets in certain lanes.

If you get the jab fine now, your 21 days is up when you come back & you get worm tablet stamped, signed, dated and timed by vet, you'll be fine.

(Always check vets date & time, I've had mistakes made in past)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Is the time limit still 3 years ?

Our little fella was done 2 years ago and we are off in August.

welshgary

Free Member
Sep 28, 2013
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
No check on way out

Hi, we went away a few months ago with DFDS Dover to Calais. No check on way out, but thorough check on way back at Calais, together with sticker, but no check at Dover.

SandT

Free Member
Oct 15, 2012
Malta
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek
Exp
Thank you everyone, I appreciate your in put. I know the process about coming back as i have frequently travelled with the pouch, its the bit round the new 21 days that I have the problem with. I just cannot see why I would need to wait 21 days in the UK before entering France when as I said earlier other European Countries have no boarder control to challenge any pet passport. I shall just turn up if the say no,Kent is nice this time of year for a week then we shall go.
See you all on our travels
:Doh:

These are the EU regulations about traveling with your pet...
"
For movements of pets between EU Member States, valid rabies vaccination is the only requirement for travel across borders. You should simply go to your vet, who will vaccinate your pet and enter the appropriate information in the pet passport.
To connect the pet to the passport, the animal must be fitted with an electronic microchip (transponder) or have a clearly readable tattoo, applied before 3 July 2011. Young pets which cannot be vaccinated yet may be allowed to travel without vaccination on the conditions defined by each Member State.
The EU pet passport has been designed to last for the lifetime of the animal bearing it. When travelling, the pet owner must ensure that the rabies vaccination in the passport is valid or renew the pet's vaccination. Some Member States might also choose to include additional information in the passport about other vaccinations and the animal's medical history to make veterinary checks easier, but this additional information is not required by EU law.
The EU pet passport makes veterinary checks easier and make life easier for travelling pet owners, since there is one single system that applies for all EU countries"

Just because they may not check doesn't mean that there are no requirements between member states.

Terry

Jun 26, 2012
ipswich suffolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt pilote
Exp
2005 off and on
Hi took our dog thru tunnel 5weeks ago no checks on way out
Saw vet in Brugge a couple of days before returning had check
Over and worming tablet stamped his passport had it checked
At tunnel on way back no problems. ::bigsmile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Just ask yourself if you got stopped with no valid jab where it was required how would you feel about your pet being destroyed. Not worth the risk.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I think you will find they check your passport at this side going out in case its not valid to return ,to my knowledge the French don't care .

frank550

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
The treatment has to be administered between 120 and 24 hours before your return.

frank550

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Is the time limit still 3 years ?

Our little fella was done 2 years ago and we are off in August.

Ive never heard of a 3 year vaccine, 2 yes. Check the expiry in the pet passport.

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
So if I want to take Phoebe with me to the continent in early October when should I star making plans and is all I need a vets appointment or are there forms I shoiuld be getting now

Bulawayo Lass

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Mud Island, nr Mudchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
long (with Brian) short (alone) medium (with Andy)
One of the rabies vacs covers 3 years don't know how much it is used you would need to be sure that's the make used on your dog. Don't think many vets use it though.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
So if I want to take Phoebe with me to the continent in early October when should I star making plans and is all I need a vets appointment or are there forms I shoiuld be getting now

Just book an appointment at the vets for rabies/pet passport.. So long as it's 21days before you come back into the UK it's good. Vet issues passport. Simples.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back