Urgent Help Please - Blood Tests in France (1 Viewer)

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Does anybody know whether or not you can usually 'walk-in' to a laboratoire d'ánalyses to get a blood test or do you normally need an appointment? I'm in Gruisson Plage at the moment and I need to get an INR test done for my warfarin dose. I've got a translation for the lab when I get there explaining what I need, but the nearest lab is in Narbonne, which since we don't want to lose our space at Gruisson will mean a cab there. Ideally I'd phone and ask, but unfortunately I've no chance of a telephone conversation with my French

Malcolm

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Go into any doctors surgery or even a hospital and ask for help. They'll sort it out for you, I'm sure, French medical staff always seem willing to help.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Hi @emjaiuk I had exactly the same problem, but it was about 10 years ago. The blood testing service in the UK suggested I work out where I would be at the appropriate time and it happened to be Bordeaux. At that time I had very little knowledge of French. On arrival in the area I went to the local hospital (the CHU, I think) and asked at their reception what I needed to do. After some form filling, they directed me to the laboratory where I made an appointment for the following day.

They were all very helpful. The blood sample was taken and I was told to phone back after 16:00hrs and was then given the result, which I wrote in my little yellow book (are they still used?)

I eventually received a bill through the post at my UK address, although I think it would be necessary to pay at the time.

Where I live now I have a prescription ( un ordinance, in French) from my doctor for 10 periodic blood samples to be taken and that is done my a nurse from the Croix Rouge (French Red Cross) and the sample sent off to a local laboratory.
I normally receive the results through the post the following day. Because I live here in France, no payment is made by me. It is paid for through the state system at 100% as it is a long-term medical problem.

However, I am sorry that this info may not be of much help to you as, having just re-read your enquiry, you are reluctant to move your camping car.

J

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi Malcom

Here is a list of laboratoires d'analyses

Broken Link Removed

Me, I would go to the nearest one and explain my problem (if you can).
If you need me to help you having a small speech in French at the ready on a paper, I can do it very quickly, just tell me in English what you want to say and what you need.
You can say all this in private of course (click on the upper toolbar, next to your username is "INBOX", click on it, then click on Start a new conversation)
They can phone the nearest doctor and , ask for permission, and send you to collect the "ordonnance"(prescription) afterwards.
Worth a try....!

Amicalement
Frankie:)

Edit : Doctors in Gruissan Plage

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
E
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
My sincere apologies for not thanking you earlier Frankie. I had no alert to yor and Pilote87's posts and my internet ( via 3 and an expensive external aerial ) is a bit iffy at the moment.

I' ve a detailed technical translation of my requirements. A French friend in the Uk has a sister who is a pharmacist and she did it. I'd already found that the nearest labs were the 3 in Narbonne, but since it would have been a 15k taxi ride I was trying to find out in advance if I required an appointment or whether I could just walkin.

However, thanks to a very helpful pharmacist in Gruissan, I've found a 'Centre Medical' in Gruissan, where a nurse will take the sample and send it to the lab for a fee, and I will get the results and pay the lab charges the next day. It is only open in the morning, and I was to late yesterday so I'm about to go now. I will let you know how I get on.

Malcolm

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
My sincere apologies for not thanking you earlier Frankie. I had no alert to yor and Pilote87's posts and my internet ( via 3 and an expensive external aerial ) is a bit iffy at the moment.

I' ve a detailed technical translation of my requirements. A French friend in the Uk has a sister who is a pharmacist and she did it. I'd already found that the nearest labs were the 3 in Narbonne, but since it would have been a 15k taxi ride I was trying to find out in advance if I required an appointment or whether I could just walkin.

However, thanks to a very helpful pharmacist in Gruissan, I've found a 'Centre Medical' in Gruissan, where a nurse will take the sample and send it to the lab for a fee, and I will get the results and pay the lab charges the next day. It is only open in the morning, and I was to late yesterday so I'm about to go now. I will let you know how I get on.

Malcolm

in our local laboratoire d'ánalyses it is a case of just turning up, no appointment necessary.

OP
OP
E
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Well I had it done Wednesday, and wen't back today for results. Total cost just over €17. Slight hiccup because I didn't have a French address, but after a short telephone conversation all was well. I presume he (nurse) spoke to labe since I had to pay lab fee up front, and he included it with sample as cash!

Unfortunately I've got to do it all over again in a weeks time and no idea where we will be then

Malcolm

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back