michndan

Free Member
Jan 12, 2016
Nuneatone
Funster No
MH
Hymer b644sl
Exp
Hymer a class 3 litre fiat 2008 went to start up yesterday half turned over and nothing. When you turn the key the lights on the dash go out. Number 2 position the glow light flashes about 5secs and then goes out. No fault codes stored on Ecu. Just to add it does have a strike back immobiliser fitted. Any ideas?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
does your controller show cab voltage? sounds like a flat battery to me

on mine it would show just over 12V on cab battery until ignition turned then plunged to 10V

when did you last start it ?

new battery fitted on ours a couple of years ago been fine since

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Check your engine earth strap?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Could be in order of priority - flat battery, and then corroded battery connections, which you could check by cranking the engine and then feeling the terminals to see if they're hot. If they are they need taking off and cleaning. It could be anywhere where the batteries are making connections ie the negative and positive battery connections, where the cable connects to the starter motor and where the negative earths to the chassis of the vehicle or it could be a defective starter motor.

The most probable thing is a flat engine battery.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Flat battery..... you have to charge that first, if it’s still the same then come back, but I’ll put money on it it’s flat that’s all..(y)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Battery is fully charged terminals all sound.

Can we have a bit more info on how/why I know it’s Fun here but give us a clue is a bit time consuming....

Starter jammed..? Have you cleaned terminals..? Earth point..?

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
The next thing Cliff would do is put the front of vehicle up on levelling blocks, handbrake on hard, wheelschocked and vehicle in neutral. Usr a jump lead from positive side of battery and then get underneath and hold the other end of jump lead onto where the big cable goes onto the starter motor. You will get sparks but if the engine cranks over fast you know it’s not the battery, or the starter motor or but something else. The above depends on your mechanical experience though!

From past experience you need a fault finder that a breakdown company would use to find all the faults.

If you’re in the AA - ring them and all the above will be done for nothing, if you have Homestart. That’s what we would do if not at home.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

michndan

Free Member
Jan 12, 2016
Nuneatone
Funster No
MH
Hymer b644sl
Exp
It turned over yesterday for 2 seconds if that then nothing it does not even turn over thought flat battery although solar keeps it topped up when ther is some. So charged battery even though it was charged just to make sure still nothing turn the key to crank position lights stay on but nothing at all happens no click from starter nothing.

OP
OP
M

michndan

Free Member
Jan 12, 2016
Nuneatone
Funster No
MH
Hymer b644sl
Exp
Okay even though the multimeter says the battery is charged I have just jump started the van from my car and it is now running and after running for 2 mins is revving to 2000 revs by itself??

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Starter jammed, call breakdown service if you have some, it’s what we pay for....(y)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Ahh, there we go, batteries are dead.... new one I’m afraid...

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Okay even though the multimeter says the battery is charged I have just jump started the van from my car and it is now running and after running for 2 mins is revving to 2000 revs by itself??

Note sure about your van but some newish models will increase tickover if battery is very low, this in effort to recharge battery.
Anyone with more knowledge?,. Please?

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
If your referrng to the non start function that' unlikely...
It wouldn' turn at all and you would get an alert if you turned the ignition on ..
Andy

If the Vanbitz Non Starter is fitted and is "armed", the engine does turn over (well my one does :)) but it doesn't start, and it calls your mobile and sends a text (I've 'tested' mine a few times :D). If there is no credit on the account, there will be no response.

Cheers

Trevor

OP
OP
M

michndan

Free Member
Jan 12, 2016
Nuneatone
Funster No
MH
Hymer b644sl
Exp
Thought mine might be to old for that but obviously not!

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Batteries are effected by the weather.My engine battery has been fine and has never shown any signs of being flat as I start and use it regularly.Then just before Christmas I tried to start it and it was flat.I charged it up and then took Motorhome for a short run.I went to it the next day and it was flat again.I had it checked and it was flat and wouldnt hold a charge so I bought a new one.
All I can think of is the sudden change of temp finished off my 4 year old battery.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
This is definitely earth strap problem that I had some years ago. Its a known issue proved by the high revving. Use Jump lead connected to strap contacts and try again.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Just put your symptoms on web and got this:

Symptom.

Engine idle speed alters from normal 850 to 900 rpm to 1400 to 1500rpm. Engine management light may come on. Often the fault will only appear when the headlights are on.

Cure.

This is a typical sign that the alternator output is too low and the engine is increasing revs to counter this. Many vehicles do this, but with the X250 it is not the case unless the battery warning light is also illuminated.
What is actually happening is that the earth strap to the gearbox is offering too high a resistance and is not allowing the ECU enough power, particularly when other devices are pulling more current (such as the lights), and this causes the ECU to try to overcome the problem while also going into protection mode with engine output.

We have removed and cleaned several of these earth straps and have not been able to improve things. The only solution has been to fit a new earth cable, which we have had made up for us by a local auto electrician. The original Fiat cable is of poor quality braided cable; exposed to the elements. Our new ones are plastic coated and have solved all of the problems encountered so far. (6 out of 20 vehicles of that age)

OP
OP
M

michndan

Free Member
Jan 12, 2016
Nuneatone
Funster No
MH
Hymer b644sl
Exp
So let’s just say if the van batteries and both leisure batteries are shot with the engine running and nothing switched on habitational what do you think a 10amp drain on the Hymer display could be? Could this mean a cell is gone in a battery? The van is idling and revving itself to charge but the batteries are not charging, all earths, fuses etc are good and van has never had any problems in the last 3 years! Am I just unlucky that all batteries are dead at the same time or is this something else? Leisure batteries 10years old van battery 4 years old

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hard to imagine what could take that much current with the engine running, I am sure than on our Hymer it even shows the net draw or input, so with the engine running ours will send 40+ amps to the leisure battery, don t think it shows input or output from cab battery though

which battery is your drain showing from and what is the voltage on that battery?

OP
OP
M

michndan

Free Member
Jan 12, 2016
Nuneatone
Funster No
MH
Hymer b644sl
Exp
Leisure batteries. They are at 12.6v apart from the inverter which is switched off. With the lights tv and heating on full max drain is only 7A. So have no idea I know the leisure batteries died while I was snowboarding at Xmas they will only hold for 10 hours but the van batt has been fine up till now but they don’t seem to be charging normal with engine running the panel would show batts at say 13-14v but it doesn’t.

OP
OP
M

michndan

Free Member
Jan 12, 2016
Nuneatone
Funster No
MH
Hymer b644sl
Exp
You’ve done very well if you hab batteries are 10yrs old....
I know they are elecosell carbon fibre so well past there best I except changing them was putting two Numax on of the NCC list but now a van batt as well am I that unlucky lol.

OP
OP
M

michndan

Free Member
Jan 12, 2016
Nuneatone
Funster No
MH
Hymer b644sl
Exp
Ok. With engine off drain is only 0.5 A so just the panel draw. So does that mean the leisure’s are trying to charge the van battery?

OP
OP
M

michndan

Free Member
Jan 12, 2016
Nuneatone
Funster No
MH
Hymer b644sl
Exp
I have put my spare leisure’s on will disconnect the van batt so my leisure’s charge up and get three new batteries. Odd how they are trying to charge or are draining back to the van don’t you think?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back