Upton Upon Severn Blues Festival 15/17 July (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We have booked.
Web site says there is room for 2,500 units in the camping section so it's obviously a ginormous field.
It is ginormous :)
just a question if you camp elsewhere and you don't get a wristband band does it stop you doing or accessing any entertainment ?
As @carolyn said, it's only for camping. We stayed in the field next door with the MCC last year and enjoyed the same entertainment access as everyone else.
As our circumstances still make us wary of booking stuff we may do the same next year (if MCC are back :))

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
As a past & present organiser of music festivals, I know how much effort goes into making this an amazing event.

Furthermore it is free to attend the gigs only because funding comes from people paying for their camping so I would consider this when you choose where to stay.

More info here:
http://uptonbluesfestival.org.uk/funding-a-free-festival/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
As a past & present organiser of music festivals, I know how much effort goes into making this an amazing event.

Furthermore it is free to attend the gigs only because funding comes from people paying for their camping so I would consider this when you choose where to stay.

More info here:
Thanks for that Janine I appreciate what you say about being a past and present organiser and i know how hard you and Barry work and i think you are fantastic in what you two do and what you do for charities I also understand funding comes from people paying the camping and helps towards the organising ect .I will take that on board
However I just have to watch our limited budget as we are paying for 3 adults with Amanda so £105 for us :(
I have always checked out all avenues of how i can do it the cheapest way for us it is what i do. It so we can maintain what we do in giving Amanda a taste of such variety's whilst we are around to give her these experiences with the limited income we have . We have never done these type of music festivals so it is all new to us . I am sorrry if i have offended you .
Kate xxx

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I am sorry if i have offended you .Kate xxx

Not at all - just pointing out that if no-one paid for their camping, there would be no music :)

£105 for 3 people to attend is brilliant value for money, in my opinion. Hope you can come and enjoy :)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

More info here:
Having helped organise several events over the years (not quite on the scale of the Blues Festival) I also know how much work it takes.

However, as the page referred to makes clear, people paying for camping is only one source of funding and that funding is for the acts on the main stages. A huge part of the weekend is the many bands booked and paid for by pubs which receive none of the camping income :)

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Having helped organise several events over the years (not quite on the scale of the Blues Festival) I also know how much work it takes.

However, as the page referred to makes clear, people paying for camping is only one source of funding and that funding is for the acts on the main stages. A huge part of the weekend is the many bands booked and paid for by pubs which receive none of the camping income :)

Totally agree but there is a world of difference between a group of pubs putting on live music - something that happens in our town every weekend - and an organised festival with a main stage etc.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Totally agree but there is a world of difference between a group of pubs putting on live music - something that happens in our town every weekend - and an organised festival with a main stage etc.
If the two are separate, yes. In the case of Upton, though, they are each parts of a whole which make it what it is. Personally I found the bands in the pubs more enjoyable because watching them didn't involve being so much of a hemmed in crowd :)

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
@Ambilkate you would never offend anyone. A lot of us have budgets to stick to and as much as we'd love to go to every rally and event it isn't always possible and even though £35 per head for 4 days camping is good value for an event like this, if the only way for you to join in the fun is to find somewhere else to camp, so be it xx

Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
I have added this to my diary AGAIN and am hopeful to be able to attend as it has been on my to do list for a couple of years. Won't be booking yet tho just in case :Eeek:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Kate, each to their own...... That is a lot of money to me too and I understand where you are coming from .. but fortunately as a solo it is lot less isn't it just one person... I didn't go with the big camp site... and before I am jumped on, we wild camped but paid more than it would have cost us to park in the car park .. just up the road from the main campsite ... We paid two pound each per night MORE than it would have cost in the car park, to one of the town's voluntary charities for their young people ... (The car park is cheaper than the campsite but I think they may have put a height barrier on it for the weekend). We also collected bags of litter from the area we camped in and the local park where groups were playing .. The litter was there when we arrived obviously dropped by locals ... I often go to Upton throughout the year as I just love the little town ... and, as at the festival, pay money for charity shop goods, coffee shops, bars and the supermarket. I don't feel guilty at all. We all do what we feel is right.

If it doesn't clash, and you decide you want the car parks, I'll point them out to you sunshine.

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Kate, each to their own...... That is a lot of money to me too and I understand where you are coming from .. but fortunately as a solo it is lot less isn't it just one person... I didn't go with the big camp site... and before I am jumped on, we wild camped but paid more than it would have cost us to park in the car park .. just up the road from the main campsite ... We paid two pound each per night MORE than it would have cost in the car park, to one of the town's voluntary charities for their young people ... (The car park is cheaper than the campsite but I think they may have put a height barrier on it for the weekend). We also collected bags of litter from the area we camped in and the local park where groups were playing .. The litter was there when we arrived obviously dropped by locals ... I often go to Upton throughout the year as I just love the little town ... and, as at the festival, pay money for charity shop goods, coffee shops, bars and the supermarket. I don't feel guilty at all. We all do what we feel is right.

If it doesn't clash, and you decide you want the car parks, I'll point them out to you sunshine.
Thanks for that Joy . Xxx

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We stayed with the MCC ,

All the big events centers were over subscribed , as in packed , so we only ever saw the local pub venues and the occasionally stage by the river ,

We then went onto the welland steam rally the following weekend , again with the MCC , saved a fortune again .

We along with others , are living on a very limited budget ( and living off one pension .)

Got to look after the pennies :( ,

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
We stayed with the MCC ,

All the big events centers were over subscribed , as in packed , so we only ever saw the local pub venues and the occasionally stage by the river ,

We then went onto the welland steam rally the following weekend , again with the MCC , saved a fortune again .

We along with others , are living on a very limited budget ( and living off one pension .)

Got to look after the pennies :( ,
Is it cheaper with the MCC or something
And if everything is over subscribed is there much point in going Graham me old fruit!

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
And if everything is over subscribed is there much point in going Graham me old fruit!
I've hear d more Blues music from you in an hour than in upton all week end .
It is mainly 70 to 90s rock n pop . Which i like but i went to upton expecting a full on blues experience .
Still enjoyed it .for the street music .

themogs

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not Long Enough.
We've just booked:party2:
4 nights camping:party2:
Hope it lives up to all the hype:pray:

P.S. Thanks for the heads-up:clap2::clap2:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I can't remember the exact amounts but it was a bit cheaper with the MCC, especially with the premium for not booking on the official field.
Our experience was very similar to @SUGGY's - not surprising as we were camped next door to one another :LOL:
We had initially intended touring the Cotswolds at the time we went last year but changed our plans when we learned of the festival so hadn't had the chance to pre-book. We are also wary about doing a lot of pre-booking as we have had to alter plans several times in the last few years because of calls from elderly relatives.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I've hear d more Blues music from you in an hour than in upton all week end .
It is mainly 70 to 90s rock n pop . Which i like but i went to upton expecting a full on blues experience .
Still enjoyed it .for the street music .
There were also a couple of bands this year that were more jazz than blues ........... but still really enjoyable ... and the pubs and clubs had a lot of folk type music ... The fact is that if you enjoy music then this is a brilliant weekend. .

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
There were also a couple of bands this year that were more jazz than blues ........... but still really enjoyable ... and the pubs and clubs had a lot of folk type music ... The fact is that if you enjoy music then this is a brilliant weekend. .

Joy has put it in a nut shell ...
It is more of a music weekend than a Blues Festival .

Even so We really enjoyed the weekend .

I wanted to learn more blues music skills so a bit disappointed but Simon has made up for that .. lol
However i have been reliably informed that there is a Funster Blues Uke duo performing at the Blues Festival this year

I wonder who that can be .....

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
What I mean is if you don't book and leave it till next year can you still get in, as it might conflict with other arrangements I need to make, this applies to the York meet as well!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back