Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Makes you wonder though about the rest of the process. If fitters are careless enough to put windows in the wrong way, what else are they doing badly? If the factory quality control is negligent enough to not notice it, what else are they missing? If the dealer doesn't see it and put it right in their PDI, did it even have one. What a poor show all round

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I would be tempted to send the dealer a bill for the remedial work to correct a manufacturing fault. £80 per hour is reasonable and a one hour minimum is also standard. Send a bill for £80 and see if they pay it, if not threaten them with the small claims court. If only for fun :winky:

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Thanks Landy Andy, I had a reply from Burstner saying they wouldn’t agree to correct the window because I should have reported it soon after buying the van, which I would have done if I’d known it was wrongly fitted at the time. Anyway I followed your advice and did it myself and was pleasantly surprised that it only took me about half an hour. I can’t believe how easy it was. I was surprised to find on removing the blind cassette that they’d had a couple of attempts at fitting it in the first place and also that there were less brackets holding the window in than there should have been. I’ve attached some photos and maybe it’ll help someone else if they have a problem with their window. Thanks everyone for your comments, this is the first post I’ve put on Motorhomefun, I’m delighted with the result!
Well done. Why not post these pics on both the supplying dealer's and Burstner's social media pages? Informative for other potential customers methinks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I assume that they bought the van new, and it hasn’t been altered by last owner?

Oct 19, 2019
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Swift
Exp
Since 2012
All the motorhomes I have bought new have had the cost of a PDI included in the purchase price so there should be no excuses from a dealer for missing defects in the vehicle before handover to the customer.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi Lenny, I didn’t need to use sealant, it has a seal around the frame which compresses against the van body when the brackets are fitted and tightened.
I'm a bit worried about that, I've never seen a Motorhome where a window frame has been fitted without sealant under the rubber trim.
Have a look at the other windows to see if you can see sealant races around them.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
All the motorhomes I have bought new have had the cost of a PDI included in the purchase price so there should be no excuses from a dealer for missing defects in the vehicle before handover to the customer.

This defect should have been seen and rectified during the first habitation service. How many opportunities does the industry need?

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I'm a bit worried about that, I've never seen a Motorhome where a window frame has been fitted without sealant under the rubber trim.
Have a look at the other windows to see if you can see sealant races around them.
I've had a couple of my windows out and back in ..the outer frame has an inset rubber seal which as long as it isn't old and compressed seals against the outer flat surface of the van body..no sealant in evidence when I popped them out and none used to replace them when they went back.. and all watertight..
Andy

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I've had a couple of my windows out and back in ..the outer frame has an inset rubber seal which as long as it isn't old and compressed seals against the outer flat surface of the van body..no sealant in evidence when I popped them out and none used to replace them when they went back.. and all watertight..
Andy
I had a feeling ours were like that Andy but could not be sure, that seems to confirm though.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
The gasketing fitted to the window works well without extra sealant. On an older van it's obvious when the window is removed that it has compressed and aged so sealant is needed.
Just looking back through the thread..Tony has already mentioned this anyway (y)
Andy

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I doubt that the Oik doing the PDI even knew which way up it was supposed to be.

OP
OP
Yorkie Steve

Yorkie Steve

Free Member
May 18, 2018
York, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner T740
Exp
Since 2018
All the windows are fitted exactly the same way with the seal compressed against the van body, no sign of any sealant. We’ve had several lots of very heavy rain since I did the window and it’s still nice and watertight thankfully.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back