Upright kayak rack for motorhomes (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
richard wright

richard wright

Free Member
Oct 20, 2016
suffolk
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
Since 2016
I hope you have a trailer lighting board to make it legal? Along with an extended load V20 hatched signto mark the rear pointing to road centre.

As above illegal without lighting board.
That is why bike racks that are fitted to towbars have lighting boards to make them legal as you have no obscured the rear lights.

Rules are quite simple. Parked against pavement 3m (10') back from rear look across to offside light.
A) If anything can block your view of it ,whether it is fitted now or when rack is full, it needs a lighting board.This is why bike racks are ABOVE rear lights when fixed to rear walls.
B) If mounted on a towbar a lighting board is required . This is why towbar mounted bike racks come complete with plug in lighting.

**why can't they be mounted diagonally?
Because they are 8 feet long & would protrude either side of the vehicle?

No I haven't yet fitted the trailer board although that's easy enough to do.

Thanks for your help. Anything else I need to know? šŸ˜€

OP
OP
richard wright

richard wright

Free Member
Oct 20, 2016
suffolk
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
Since 2016
I hope you have a trailer lighting board to make it legal? Along with an extended load V20 hatched signto mark the rear pointing to road centre.

That is why bike racks that are fitted to towbars have lighting boards to make them legal as you have no obscured the rear lights.

Rules are quite simple. Parked against pavement 3m (10') back from rear look across to offside light.
A) If anything can block your view of it ,whether it is fitted now or when rack is full, it needs a lighting board.This is why bike racks are ABOVE rear lights when fixed to rear walls.
B) If mounted on a towbar a lighting board is required . This is why towbar mounted bike racks come complete with plug in lighting.

OP
OP
richard wright

richard wright

Free Member
Oct 20, 2016
suffolk
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
Since 2016
The V20 hatched sign, is that the red and white square one needed for bike racks in some EU countries?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
richard wright

richard wright

Free Member
Oct 20, 2016
suffolk
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
Since 2016

Can I just clarify something, when you say 'parked against a pavement' does that mean being seated in the offside drivers seat of a vehicle? not standing against the pavement?

Rhyd

Free Member
May 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
Roller team 600

Mine has a lighting board and fitted with the appropriate number plate!

Jul 6, 2018
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
burstner brevio t640
Exp
Since 2010
Andy1954 said:
Bought one from Bak Rak delivered yesterday fitted it today. It feels very sturdy, we will see when I get chance to take it out šŸ¤ž

I have trailer lighting board, which I position high, but donā€™t have hatched sign, not sure I need one

Jul 6, 2018
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
burstner brevio t640
Exp
Since 2010
I did not take a measurement, will do when I next take it out. As far as I remember it did not go lower than the lowest part of tow bar fitting. I'm next out with it at the Bank Holiday

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
rooftop isn't an option for me so its vertical at the back or nothing
I have seen numerous Motorhomes carrying kayaks in this way, but from what I could establish, these ā€œracksā€ were usually fabricated or made from rear towball mounted racks and platforms such as those used to carry mobility scooters, my only concern would be the extra weight and leverage effect placed on the rear axle, it would no doubt take it over the rear axle load amount and would almost certainly need rear suspension airbags to combat tail sagging. I would be interested how this could be overcome as I am only a few kilos below my permitted axle weight myself.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Bought one from Bak Rak delivered yesterday fitted it today. It feels very sturdy, we will see when I get chance to take it out šŸ¤ž
Looks fairly straight forward for a competent fabricator to put together a similar version at probably a much more reasonable cost.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Sorry in advance (y)
Not wanting to hijack the thread but I got rid of my sea kayak recently and have a karitek high lift which I've removed from the roof of my van.. its for sale ..
You would have to fit roof bars as I obviously left them on my van..
Ill get round to sticking it in classified but saw this thread again and thought I'd mention it..
If anyone was interested you could pm rather than clutter this thread..
Cheers ..
Andy..
20210305_142328.jpg

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
does anyone know of a UK manufacturer of upright (vertical) kayak racks to fit on the rear of motorhomes? Im aware there are a couple in USA (one being RV kayaks) although the shipping is extortionate
doesnā€™t answer your question but another solution is to tackle it another way. Use a professional quality drop stitch inflatable kayak that can be folded into the size of a backpack.
Yes, excellent product, and reasonable value, last year, now this year Ā£1500, + extras for the decks !! I'm confirmed Gummo fan, but, that's a lotta wonga, and dearer than a combined bike and kayak rack.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Loaded up ready for the off. Photos show loaded up and hopefully ground clearance
From a safety point of view I'd move your trailer board down and to the end of the bottom bars that stick out as they could easily be missed by a following vehicle who could get 'skewered'!

OP
OP
richard wright

richard wright

Free Member
Oct 20, 2016
suffolk
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
Since 2016
I have seen numerous Motorhomes carrying kayaks in this way, but from what I could establish, these ā€œracksā€ were usually fabricated or made from rear towball mounted racks and platforms such as those used to carry mobility scooters, my only concern would be the extra weight and leverage effect placed on the rear axle, it would no doubt take it over the rear axle load amount and would almost certainly need rear suspension airbags to combat tail sagging. I would be interested how this could be overcome as I am only a few kilos below my permitted axle weight myself.

Ive just about finished the rack now and had it weighed loaded up with kayak, bike and surfboard and its increased the weight of course. Its still well under the rear axles permitted weight and still under the gross permitted weight. I don't think id want to put two kayaks and two bikes on it though

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back