Uprating Vehicle - Has Anyone Done It Themselves (not Via Svtech) (1 Viewer)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if you have letter and number stamps you can make your own plate . bit of tin or ally . some are even stickers written on with biro.
the important part is matching weight in the log book.
many yank imports are just stickers .

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The one that you get from SVTech is a printed sticker as well so it doesn't have to be a metal plate.

Gorsecover59

Free Member
Jun 6, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Swift,Lifestyle 530l
Exp
new
Hi................I have recently uprated my M/H through Sv Tech.
One of the questions I asked was how come the DVLS accepted the word of a company such as themselves that all was sweeteness and Light re: the upgrade...here is their reply :-

Hi Martin,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I’ve been enquiring with my manager regards the VAT situation, still not got an answer so will ask again today.

As for the upgrading, as a company we test vehicles before upgrading. Basically working with a precedent chassis we load a vehicle to the upgraded weight

and do full static and dynamic brake tests. Once we’ve completed the test and achieved the correct results a full report is then looked at DVSA/DVLA.

We can then off the back of that report issue upgrade plates and information as long as your base vehicle matches the precedent vehicle.

Hope that answers your question

Regards

As you can see it is not just a case that they issue a few bits of paper. It is based on a lot of previous tests.This is what costs yer £300+ squid.
Hope this helps.
Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just a quick update on this ... I contacted a chap who is authorised/qualified to do the necessary paperwork for me to confirm the camper is capable of being uprated in its current state, he's just emailed me to say he's got the documentation ready and all I need to do is pay him £76, this will then allow me to get the weight changed to 4250kg and subsequently the tax class changed from PLGV to PHGV and get a new weight plate ... I'll report back once I've spoken to him. :)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Just a quick update on this ... I contacted a chap who is authorised/qualified to do the necessary paperwork for me to confirm the camper is capable of being uprated in its current state, he's just emailed me to say he's got the documentation ready and all I need to do is pay him £76, this will then allow me to get the weight changed to 4250kg and subsequently the tax class changed from PLGV to PHGV and get a new weight plate ... I'll report back once I've spoken to him. :)

Where theres a will there's a way!:)

Gorsecover59

Free Member
Jun 6, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Swift,Lifestyle 530l
Exp
new
Hi Mel,
Sounds good.every pound is a friend.
But what does he base his paperwork/authorisation upon? As Sv Tech said above.their upgrade authorisation is based upon a raft of tests followed by analysis by DVLA of a comprehensive report. How is he able to match this information which I assume would be data sensitive and confidential to the company that did the tests.
Unless he is able to test different vehicle chasisis or have access to the data how can he possibly authorise upgrades.
Martin

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Most of the information SVtech use is available from the manufacturer without any "testing" and where a van is manufactured originally to be capable of 4250kg but downplated for marketing/customer base, there is nothing to justify the high cost they charge.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Where a van requires a modification to achieve a weight above the manufacturers spec this is where SVtech come in with advice and certification for their recommendations and DVLA readily accept their authority.
To have one charge for both scenarios is not satisfactory.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
So basically - you've accepted you can't actually do it yourself???
This guy might be a whole lot cheaper than SVtech but the salient fact is that uprating is beyond an individual.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
So basically - you've accepted you can't actually do it yourself???
This guy might be a whole lot cheaper than SVtech but the salient fact is that uprating is beyond an individual.
Sorry to disappoint but you're wrong ... In my specific case I need to get the confirmation from a qualified engineer - his details were sent to me from the DVSA along with other companies who can undertake this work so it isn't just SV-Tech who can do it, it's just that they are the most well known.

If our van hadn't been registered as a motorcaravan but as a PLGV or if it hadn't been registered at all we COULD have done it ourselves using the VTG10 form. Unfortunately Fiat and Dethleffs have basically 'washed their hands' of giving any sort of confirmation of the vehicle specification which is where the 'problem' lies, other manufacturers are not so 'dismissive', Hymer for instance will provide the info.

Making a sweeping statement therefore that this is beyond an individual is wrong.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Further update ... the documents arrived today! :)

We've been sent:
  • a letter confirming that our van has been assessed, the data checked etc, and that it qualifies for the new weight without modification
  • a Design Weight Certificate (DWC)
  • a stick-on weight plate - I don't need to buy one which is good
Our new weights are:

MTPLM = 4250kg (was 3500kg)
Front axle = 2100kg
Rear axle = 2400kg
MTW = 6500kg​

All we now need to do is send a copy of the DWC and letter to the DVLA along with the V5C to get a new one, then apply for the tax band to be changed - £165 instead of £230 so that'll save us £65 a year.

Ignoring the initial messing around with the DVSA/DVLA etc to try to get the info on how to do it, once I got the details of the chap it was a breeze! One phone call to him, scanning and emailing the docs/photos he needed, then sending him a cheque - this is what SV-Tech would have charged me £312 for! £76 as opposed to £312 ... a saving of another £236! (y)

Just the DVLA bit to sort out and we'll be sorted. :clap2:

If anyone wants details of the chap we used please send me a PM. :)

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
How do u PM? Is it through your profile? I can see that i can post on there but no mail. Feel a stupid as it must be clear :(

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
How do u PM? Is it through your profile? I can see that i can post on there but no mail. Feel a stupid as it must be clear :(
PM stands for personal message, it's now called 'conversation' but it doesn't 'sound right'!

Just click on my username below my avatar, and when the box pops up select "start conversation".

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Further update ... the documents arrived today! :)

We've been sent:
  • a letter confirming that our van has been assessed, the data checked etc, and that it qualifies for the new weight without modification
  • a Design Weight Certificate (DWC)
  • a stick-on weight plate - I don't need to buy one which is good
Our new weights are:

MTPLM = 4250kg (was 3500kg)
Front axle = 2100kg
Rear axle = 2400kg
MTW = 6500kg​

All we now need to do is send a copy of the DWC and letter to the DVLA along with the V5C to get a new one, then apply for the tax band to be changed - £165 instead of £230 so that'll save us £65 a year.

Ignoring the initial messing around with the DVSA/DVLA etc to try to get the info on how to do it, once I got the details of the chap it was a breeze! One phone call to him, scanning and emailing the docs/photos he needed, then sending him a cheque - this is what SV-Tech would have charged me £312 for! £76 as opposed to £312 ... a saving of another £236! (y)

Just the DVLA bit to sort out and we'll be sorted. :clap2:

If anyone wants details of the chap we used please send me a PM. :)
Very well done indeed and this highlights even more the need for SVtech to change their cavalier charging of one high price for sweet FA (y)
I used them myself in the past but where I needed a suspension upgrade so the price felt justified at that time.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
As with others Mel, well done.

You and I are the only ones I know who have successfully engaged the services of VOSA/DVSA to uprate the MH weight.

Good on you, (y)

Jock. :)

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
As with others Mel, well done.

You and I are the only ones I know who have successfully engaged the services of VOSA/DVSA to uprate the MH weight.

Good on you, (y)

Jock. :)
Not quite, VOSA hasn't don't anything although the chap's emails were pleasant enough and he obviously didn't like the 'monopoly situation himself! As for DVSA, other than letting me a the 'list' haven't done owt! I tried to get SMC to help and although they tried several times they hit a brick wall with Dethleffs and just referred me to SV-Tech in the end.

It was just pure persistance on my part and my unwillingness to accept that it could NOT be done elsewhere that got us there in the end ... sometimes it pays to be a roughty-tufty Yorkshire lass!

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
Well done Minxy Girl I will be looking to up our payload after our next trip so will be PMing you for the details cheers (y).

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Went to the Post Office today after reading on the DVLA website that we should be able to do the tax change through them and they'd send off the V5C form for us too ... shame it wasn't that simple!

The ladies were very pleasant and tried their best to get the computer system to do what it should but to no avail so we've had to resort to sending the whole lot off to them via Special Delivery (£6.45!) so they should get it on Monday. Now it's just a waiting game for the stuff to get sorted, our tax refund to be done and the new V5C to be sent to us.

Lee Fryer

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Eastleigh
Funster No
MH
Coach built CI Carioca 15
Exp
Since June 2012
Thank you @MinxyGirl for your effort in finding someone other than Svtech for upgrading motorhome weights, and for shearing this with us, I have today received my certificate and new weight plate at a cost of £92, just have to send of to DVLA now to get my extra 100kg payload so my sons can carry all the extras involved with Grand kids.
Once again thank you.
Lee

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Update - last week whilst we were at our static a couple of letters were sent to us at home from the DVLA, the first one said we hadn't sent in our V5C and to send it in or apply for another one to send in ... we'd sent it with all the other paperwork! :rolleyes: Then a second letter was sent from the same chap a few days later stating:

.... Before I can deal with your application you must provide more information on the enclosed reply slip and 'Built up vehicle report' (V627/1). Please advise what changes have been made to the vehicle, including any modifications to the chassis or bodyshell. You must send photos of the vehicle before the changes, if possible, and after ...

This is despite us sending the letter and approval from the engineer, our application and explanation of what we want to do and why it didn't need any modification etc ... !!! :mad:

Unfortunately we didn't find out about this until we got home on Saturday afternoon so couldn't do anything about it until today - hubby rang and spoke to a lady who didn't understand and kept stating that our vehicle was registered as 3500kg and without a letter from the converter, Fiat or DVSA nothing could be done. He passed the phone to me as I knew more about it than him and I told her that Fiat just referred everyone to SVTech anyway who are 'engineers' authorised to confirm the suitability of vehicles for uprating ... no different to the engineer we'd used who's details had been supplied by the DVSA as authorised to do it! I explained the situation in detail and why our vehicle didn't need any modifications due to it being capable of 4250kg when it was originally manufactured and came out of the Fiat factory and no modifications had been made to the chassis or mechanical bits etc by the converter to change that ... it had just been registered at 3500kg as we didn't know at the time that we could have registered it then at 4250kg. I told her why we couldn't get anything from the converter/Fiat and that DVSA wouldn't get involved as it wasn't registered as a commercial vehicle. She then suggested we write in!!! As I'd already told her we were due to go on holiday in a week's time and needed our documents back I didn't think this was particularly helpful!! I therefore asked if there was anyone there I could speak to who might be able to expedite things so she said she'd have a word with her supervisor and ask her to ring me today when she was free.

After about 4 hours the supervisor finally rang ... I was a bit apprehensive but she went over what she'd been told we wanted to do just to ensure she understood fully, which she did ... then said it was all okay! We'd provided all the information she needed and the uprating would be approved!!! THANK GOODNESS!!!!:D

She said she'd go back to the lady we'd spoken to earlier and get her to put it through the system and we should get the ne registration document in a couple of days! (y)

Sooooo ... if you get any silly letters from the DVLA just ring up and if you get a 'numpty' on the phone who tries to tell you that you can't have it and to need to send in some more info etc ask for the supervisor (she was called Kathryn Carter) who should hopefully be able to sort it out for you.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Just don't expect the first document you receive to be correct, I am the proud owner of three V5 so depending on the circumstances I can be 3500 or 4250 or even a "special vehicle" - think fire engine or crane.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Just don't expect the first document you receive to be correct, I am the proud owner of three V5 so depending on the circumstances I can be 3500 or 4250 or even a "special vehicle" - think fire engine or crane.

My latest van came back with a year older prefix:(

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Oh ye of little faith ... it arrived today ... they got it right first time! Yay!!!!!!(y) We are now officially 'heavyweights'! :LOL:

I have a query about the road tax - I know we need to get it's changed to PHGV and as we currently pay by monthly DD will have to cancel that and re-tax it at the new rate but the question is what happens to THIS month ... I assume we will be charged for this month at the new rate and as we have already paid it for the original weight and are part way into the month we won't get a refund, so in effect will pay for this month twice? I know this happens if you buy/sell vehicles part way through a month, and even though we're the same 'owners' I'm assuming it will still happen. Has anyone done it and can tell me if this is the case?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
That's why my preference would always be to spend the 300 quid with SV, just for simplicity. I don't have the time, patience or inclination to spend any time faffing around like that. If it's more than one phone call, 0ne form or half an hour of my time I would rather pay someone else to deal with it.

Glad you got it sorted though. (y)

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
That's why my preference would always be to spend the 300 quid with SV, just for simplicity.

Do SvTech handle the change of the V5 directly with DVLA without need for the owner to be involved?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Do SvTech handle the change of the V5 directly with DVLA without need for the owner to be involved?

No. They send a wad of paper to you. You put it in an envelope with your V5 to DVLA and wait for your new paperwork to arrive. 10 days when I did it. One preliminary phone call to them discussing the available options, including some good ideas that we didn't go for, one form to fill in and email back and then send the boy to the post office. My time: about 15 minutes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back