Uprating size of solar panel in 2007 Hymer B544 (1 Viewer)

Feb 3, 2020
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
B544
Exp
None, none at all.
Hi,
We have a 2007 Hymer B544 which is fitted with a 100W solar panel and 2 x 110 Ah batteries, we feel that it might be prudent to increase the panel size to allow more off-grid living.
I am assuming that the limiting size of the panel we can install will be the cable from the panel down to the battery charger, is their a standard size of cable with a maximum capacity or does you fit a cable of appropriate size to the panel being installed (if the see what I mean)
In either case, how do I establish the maximum panel size I can install, I understand that the controller is an LR1218 allowing 18 A @12V = 216W.
If anybody is able to enlighten me then I would be very grateful.
Regards
Patrick.

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
I think that the limiting factor will be the solar controller (so another 100w panel will be fine if there is space on the roof). The cable Hymer fit is likely to have adequate cross section but you will want to check it and fit an appropriate fuse between the panel and the controller. My Hymer did not have a fuse and I have added one so that I can disconnect the panel easily.

OP
OP
B
Feb 3, 2020
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
B544
Exp
None, none at all.
Ah, so the cable down from the roof will have been pre-installed when the van was built. I suppose that makes sense, I have had a look on the roof and it appears that there are joints on each of the cables, so I could simply remove the 100W panel and fit a larger one using the same wires....
Do all panels come with the same cable fittings ? if they do, then presumably its just a matter of unplugging the old and plugging in the new panel.
Thanks
P

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
You could just add the second panel in parallel (electrically) with the existing one. Not a lot to go wrong with the old panel although they do become a bit less effective with age I believe.
The cable may not have been preinstalled -although I think that they are on newer vans. The connectors can vary.

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
You can get couplers to connect MC4 panel cables together, So you can just add the new panel easily and just change the controller.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back