Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Can anybody give me the information as to the Vosa form to upgrade my gross weight from 3880 to 4000 kgs.
Mercedes and Hymer give this as an option for the model when new, and also at 3500kgs. But I must apply for it to DVLA to change the logbook. I do not want to go to SV tech just for a form filling exercise at £320, if I can do it myself. There are no extras that need to be done to the van but I already have rear air suspension as an addition.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
My understanding is that you may need letters behind your name (MIRTE) Member of the Institute of Road Transport Engineers.

I have no doubt they look at the log book and can then have the authority to upgrade them.

John Ruffles was the cheaper than SV tech.

I suppose it is something like a designated person signing a passport (Dr Solicitor teacher etc)

A certificate needs to be sent off as well to the DVLA and basically you are paying for that. I would be interested if you could send your own certificate off without a MIRTE signing and the DVLA agreed to uprate it.

Good luck if you try it

Reactions: f6c
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
@suavecarve is correct.

DVLA will require evidence that the vehicle is safe to be uprated. Unless you happen to be an engineer and suitably qualified to put your name to the relevant design data you cannot provide that evidence yourself.

If you don't want to use SV then use John Ruffles. If you don't want to use him either then I'm sure there are other engineers capable of giving you what you need. Some of them may even be cheaper. All you have to do is find one (y)

It depends how much time you want to spend on it really.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Laika do the same with the 712 various weights BUT the 3500Kg version is on the lightweight chassis and this can only have a 2000Kg payload on the back axle so it's hardly worth the effort. You will have to check the axle weights. Our Laika has the heavy chassis and I have 4250Kg but very near the back axle weight 2400kg while still 200Kg underweight.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
This is a standard factory option Three available at order time 3500 std the 3880 and finally 4200kgs all the same chassis with no changes. but I do have air on the rear axle. Had it been ordered by me it would have come at that higher. weight the axle weights are quite generous and total up much higher than the standard weights

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
contact manufacturer . they will very often if you tell them your chassis number send you a notification free.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have a brand new Hymer sticky plate all filled out and nice, exactly the same as the one on it. 3880kgs
So I would be looking at getting another one made locally. A company here can make the same type of item quite cheaply.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back