Free Member
May 15, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Burstner T686 delfin
Exp
Since 2000
Hi all I know this subject has been raised on numerous occasions but I've yet to see an answer to the "can this be done without using the (well used company)" - I have contacted Renault which is my base manufacturer and they suggested I use (well used company) but as its just a paper exercise I'm loathe to pay £312+ do all the work ie: send emails/pics/and then send to dvla to get reg docs changed - if there is a way to do it myself and save the money, so if anyone out there knows how? Please let me know, thanks George

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
There's no way you can do it yourself unless you're an engineer qualified to charter level in the relevant discipline.

If you know for sure that it can be done, know exactly what you want to do, know for sure that it's a paper exercise or know exactly what work you need to do and basically just want someone to do the paperwork then you can use JR Consultancy who will be cheaper than SV Tech.

If however you don't know what you want to do or exactly what you need to do and need a lot of help and options then SV Tech are by far the best bet because of their motorhome industry specific knowledge and experience.

If it's a paper exercise you won't need to do any work or send any emails and pictures. If you used SV then you'd speak to them, fill in their online form, pay the money and then they'll send the paperwork back and all you do it put it back in the post to Swansea with your V5.

The most important thing the DVLA want to see is a letter signed by someone with the right letters after their name saying basically "I certify that this vehicle can be operated safely at this weight" They won't even look at any pictures or calculations and they wouldn't understand them even if they did. That letter is all that matters which is why you have to use an engineer.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Doesn't the up-plating have to be done via an authorised DVSA centre? That was my impression anyway. Hence people going to S V Tech (who are good) and the like. Be prepared for the possibility of having to upgrade your rear suspension or change your tyre dimensions.

A word from the wise re getting your V5 updated:

1) Send it to DVLA by Special Delivery, so if Royal Mail lose it you'll be compensated for the cost of replacement. Silly sods lost mine, despite it being sent by 'Signed For' delivery.
2) Enclose a covering letter asking DVLA to change not only the Revenue Weight, but also category F.1 (Maximum Permissable Mass) on your V5 so the two are matching.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Why?
I assume it is a payload problem.
There are negatives to raising the payload permissible, and positives.
The road tax over 3.5 tonnes is a little less. Positive!
You can carry heavier load. Positive!
You may be restricted where you can drive. No vehicles over 3.5. Negative!
On some French roads you may be limited to 80km. Negative!
On some French roads you may not overtake. Negative!
Over 70 years of age, you need a medical and C1 licence. Negative!
However I drive such a vehicle and am fairly happy about it, except on some French roads.

OP
OP
Blue di + jean

Blue di + jean

Free Member
May 15, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Burstner T686 delfin
Exp
Since 2000
Thanks for all replies we have weighed up the pros and cons and called svtech and dvsa and dvla and renault and have tried on numerous occasions contacting vosa who appear to prefer not to answer the constantly wringing thing in the corner. I was hoping someone had done this on their own and could advise but looks as though svtech is the only avenue? Once again thanks for the replies. George

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You do NOT need to use SVTech ... I did a LOT of research on this a couple of years ago when we wanted to uprate and it was just a paper exercise, after a lot of work I finally found out that JR Consultancy (John Ruffles) can do it a lot cheaper.

The thread below explains what I did to 'find' him. :)

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...one-done-it-themselves-not-via-svtech.108656/

There are other thread also mentioning 'John Ruffles' so if you do a search you should find the info.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Someone made this interesting post about up-plating a Hymer, some time ago

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...2008-hymer-how-we-did-it.153588/#post-2358849

I'm going to explore this method of uprating ours. You may well be able to do the same with your Burstner.

A letter from the manufacturer is assumed to be from an engineer so is acceptable. Most manufacturers won't do it though other than on first registration and even then that method only works if it's a paper uprate. They can't and won't help if you need to carry out modifications.

If it was that simple there would be no reason for people like SVTech or John Ruffles to exist. (y)

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Ours is just a paper uprate from 3500 to 3850, no mods needed, so I'm going to give it a try (y). Will report back on how I get on.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I did mine but it was already plated..
Plated at 3850kg but registered as 3500kg.
Photo of the plate and registration number plus the certificate of conformity (thanks to Swift for obtaining it) from Alko to prove its true weight.
This was when we had local offices so was so much easier explaining the problem to a face rather than an anonymous computer screen.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Ours is just a paper uprate from 3500 to 3850, no mods needed, so I'm going to give it a try (y). Will report back on how I get on.
Looks like a winner good luck

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back