Free Member
Sep 17, 2011
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
Since 2011
Hi all, ive been restoring a 1995 Swift Kontiki since last winter and wondered the best way to clean the velour-type upholstery. Most of the swifts cushions/seats have zip off covers but i wondered if throwing them in the machine would cause any damage?:Doh:
Should i wet wash, dry clean or get the spray on cleaning stuff? Any ideas or recommendations? Thanks, Gregg

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Dont machine wash them, they will go out of shape. I have a similar problem with my upholstery as its light in colour. I get the carpet cleaner man to do it. He charges about £35 and they come up like new.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
greggzy001

greggzy001

Free Member
Sep 17, 2011
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks for this......ill tell mrs S not to "chuck them in the machine"
Gregg:thumb:

Upvote 0

Kayold

Free Member
Oct 23, 2011
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year M/H, caravans 20+ yrs
I have use a 'wool' wash and low spin, delicate etc settings with no problems for similar items in the past. Hand wash is perhaps the safest way to go if you do not wish to spend on outsider help!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
greggzy001

greggzy001

Free Member
Sep 17, 2011
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
Since 2011
Hanks for this Kay... Ill try hand washing a single cushion and see what happens...
Thanks
Gregg

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Hi all, ive been restoring a 1995 Swift Kontiki since last winter and wondered the best way to clean the velour-type upholstery. Most of the swifts cushions/seats have zip off covers but i wondered if throwing them in the machine would cause any damage?:Doh:
Should i wet wash, dry clean or get the spray on cleaning stuff? Any ideas or recommendations? Thanks, Gregg
I use a wet vac with a good quality cleaning detergent
I had my own cleaning business so still have the equipment
you can hire but most of these type of machines come with cheap low grade cleaning detergents

best to clean in situate in case of shrinkage

good luck

Upvote 0

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011

I was going to suggest using either the "wool" or "hand wash" cycle of your washing machine, if it has one.
But use one of the delicate programmes with a 30 degree wash, also try "Woolite" for the machine or "Persil Silk & Wool" liquid for delicates, from memory it's around £4 per bottle.

Let us know how is goes:thumb:

Upvote 0

StuartnAli

Free Member
Jul 19, 2012
Coventry
Funster No
MH
Damon Ultrasport
Exp
cleaning

I'm going to try using a steam cleaner, with covers in situ......Done the wash thing with settee covers and they were a bugger to put back on as shrunk slightly. Getting to old to fight with upholstrey....lol

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
You can hire a "rug doctor " with attachments to clean seats and carpets from B & Q or others.
I bought a machine from ebay because we got kids and all goes everywhere :Eeek:

Upvote 0

Bruce1990

Free Member
May 31, 2013
Canada
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
If you can took of them then you should wash them and they dry them because it helps to clean the dust in the interior but I also like the idea of dry cleaning because it is a good way. Good luck, now it up to you.

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
:Smile: just dryclean them. That way they'll come up sparkly clean, you'll have insurance if anything were to go wrong (which is shouldn't do as people trust the most delicate and valuable items to the drycleaning people). It'll be cheaper than hiring a rug doctor etc and they do all the hard work. Gets my vote every time:thumb::thumb:

Let us all know how you get on and good luck:thumb:

Upvote 0

4matt

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
East Riding
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie in my second year.
I used our home clothes steamer. Used it on the carpets and curtains as well as the seating Motor-Caravan looks like new again.

Carpet pile restored and the curtains have that fluffy look as does the seating.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back