Upgrading to go off grid (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thank you for your response. We do tend to head off for warmer climes from November onwards. Not very good in Welsh climate. Doesn’t stop raining in Pembrokeshire. Still reviewing usage etc and plying the boss with gin and tonics so she will sign off the agreement
We have 250W of solar, but only use the inverter for 10 minutes for wife's hairdryer every 3 days or so. No B2B but our Hymer charging system is better than many others. All other heating and all cooking is done by gas. Pre covid we tended to go early spring and early autumn to Spain, Portugal or Italy and could survive OK off grid with the solar we have and using a couple of AGM batteries.

Another thing to think about is a second toilet cassette. Bought one early last year but no used yet. Hope that will give us another 2 or 3 days before needing to find somewhere to empty. Room in the garage to store it in a sealed box. Cheapest way is to buy the Thetford fresh up kit for your model number on line.

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
Toady
Jan 1, 2019
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
We have 250W of solar, but only use the inverter for 10 minutes for wife's hairdryer every 3 days or so. No B2B but our Hymer charging system is better than many others. All other heating and all cooking is done by gas. Pre covid we tended to go early spring and early autumn to Spain, Portugal or Italy and could survive OK off grid with the solar we have and using a couple of AGM batteries.

Another thing to think about is a second toilet cassette. Bought one early last year but no used yet. Hope that will give us another 2 or 3 days before needing to find somewhere to empty. Room in the garage to store it in a sealed box. Cheapest way is to buy the Thetford fresh up kit for your model number on line.
Hi Peterc10,
Thanks for advice. Just bought a 2nd cassette as on our previous van, we wild camped for weeks at a time and needed a 2nd cassette.

I am aiming to future proof the MH as we intend to keep it for a few years and we have some big trips planned where we will wild camp wherever possible.

Take care

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Toady
Jan 1, 2019
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
Looking at your photo a sat dish and 2 TV aerials a bit OTT :rofl:
Not wrong Lenny. Bloody shame as I don’t use the satellite. Only got one radio🤔

already on van when I purchased it

I guess I fall into the new generation using 4/5G.

I am glad I put up thread as I thought I was up to speed off grinding but everyday is a school day

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Id imagine a 200 or 300 ish in the large space and a slime 100 in the small
View attachment 474126
It is best if all panels are identical size and make. Otherwise, the mismatches can cause large inefficiencies as panels run at the wrong voltage (if wired in parallel) or wrong current (if wired in series). If you do have mismatches, best to wire in parallel (as voltages will be better matched on different sized panels than the current rating) and forego the ability to run in low winter light that is the advantage of series connection.

Although personally, I think that roof is pretty rammed already and you're going to struggle to get much up there. Too many rooflights and antennae! I think your best would be 5 identical 60W panels into the little gaps wired in series, although that would go over the 100V of the cheaper MPPTs. It would provide the best shoulder season/winter current, though. In summer, you've always got far more than you need, so you don't even need to consider that! Without measurements, though, it is hard to tell what would fit where.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Could you not remove the satellite and seal the opening? Then cover with more panels?

If you aren’t going to use it, that’s a lot of weight and space taken up.

Solar in the darker months isn’t great, you need every last bit you can get. Looks like a great setup, just sorted mine out and I love the Victron kit.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It is best if all panels are identical size and make. Otherwise, the mismatches can cause large inefficiencies as panels run at the wrong voltage (if wired in parallel) or wrong current (if wired in series). If you do have mismatches, best to wire in parallel (as voltages will be better matched on different sized panels than the current rating) and forego the ability to run in low winter light that is the advantage of series connection.

Although personally, I think that roof is pretty rammed already and you're going to struggle to get much up there. Too many rooflights and antennae! I think your best would be 5 identical 60W panels into the little gaps wired in series, although that would go over the 100V of the cheaper MPPTs. It would provide the best shoulder season/winter current, though. In summer, you've always got far more than you need, so you don't even need to consider that! Without measurements, though, it is hard to tell what would fit where.
Providing the panels are of the same type i.e. 12v ones with an open circuit output of 22v it is fine to connect them in parallel.

Connecting 5 panels in series is not a good idea only needs one to be shade and you will lose the output frome all of them. For Motorhome use always best to connect in parallel.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not wrong Lenny. Bloody shame as I don’t use the satellite. Only got one radio🤔

already on van when I purchased it

I guess I fall into the new generation using 4/5G.

I am glad I put up thread as I thought I was up to speed off grinding but everyday is a school day
See a second aerial fitted on Hymers a lot on Brit dealer supplied ones they don't understand their product and the customer ends up paying for a second aerial. Even before Hymer started fitting the whip aerial they had one built into the overcab.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: f6c

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
PS mean off griding not off grinding😂

Providing the panels are of the same type i.e. 12v ones with an open circuit output of 22v it is fine to connect them in parallel.

Connecting 5 panels in series is not a good idea only needs one to be shade and you will lose the output frome all of them. For Motorhome use always best to connect in parallel.
Different panels will still have different voltages even for nominal "12V" panels. However, the difference isn't enough to stop them working, there will just be slightly less MPPT potential. Certainly, for mismatched panels, parallel is the way to go.

However, with identically rated panels, series is the way forward. The shading issue isn't so bad with the bypass diodes typically fitted. The increase in voltage, however, has very significant benefits, as it is able to produce far more power in low light conditions, when you typically need the power and there are far fewer losses in the cable. Almost every system provides ample in bright sunlight. Maximising potential on a rainy day in October is typically far more important that squeezing every joule out of it in July in Provence. If you're worried about shading, the sun must be out to cause a shadow, so you don't typically care that you've lost a little bit of efficiency, as you're getting tonnes of power anyway.

OP
OP
Toady
Jan 1, 2019
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
Could you not remove the satellite and seal the opening? Then cover with more panels?

If you aren’t going to use it, that’s a lot of weight and space taken up.

Solar in the darker months isn’t great, you need every last bit you can get. Looks like a great setup, just sorted mine out and I love the Victron kit.
You might be right but i will have to have a good think about removing the satellite. Glad you like the Victron set up.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Yeah Toady, Id think about getting that Satellite off defo, think of the space for solaaaaar. :)
just one thing, I think the max recommended for the Victorn MPPT 100-30 is 400w of Solar?
I have that one and with the right cables performs very well

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Again, thank you for your input and now you have got me thinking. Need to off load the wife and I will be quids in😈
Sorry, slightly of topic, i laughed when i seen this post. My youngest son( he,s 30) gave me into trouble for using the devil emoji in a text to him the other day , why because the youth of today use it to relay the fact they feel a little Horny:giggler:.
Just to add put as much solar on the roof as you can fit, great setup👍.
Cheers Cris

OP
OP
Toady
Jan 1, 2019
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
Sorry, slightly of topic, i laughed when i seen this post. My youngest son( he,s 30) gave me into trouble for using the devil emoji in a text to him the other day , why because the youth of today use it to relay the fact they feel a little Horny:giggler:.
Just to add put as much solar on the roof as you can fit, great setup👍.
Cheers Cris
Ha ha.....ouch. Better be careful with that emoji as it’s my favourite.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Looking at that roof and the list on your opening post, I would definitely take the sat down, and fit more solar. I have worked with solar over 12 years and I have learned few thinks. First find the size you can fit comfortably taking in consideration mounting brackets, cable entry and potential shadow. If possible keep all panels the same and some new stock. Strive to have as much W by going with industrial high power panels not small. If different sizes fits better, go with 2-3 small controllers instead one. Do not wire in series at all. You are not static where shadows can be avoided. Trust me it will drive you mad, and you are going to curse the investment even from a small shadow. The panasonic hit 250w it would be my first contender for that roof. From memory they are 148x80 cm, if you could fit two, tree of those, you done. Unlike normal panels, panasonic HiT are diferent, much better in dull weather, much better in the heat, more bypass diodes, and highest cell quality due to their heterojunction multilayer design.
Lovley van, enjoy it.

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
We have 300w of solar on our roof.... but one item i have added has been extremely beneficial .... another portable suitcase rigid 100w panel (could easily add more or bigger) with a totally separate controller.. i have added a longer lead and an Anderson connector which enables me to connect it up in seconds and position it where i please to easily track the suns trajectory throughout the day...this has worked brilliantly especially when we are travelling both home and abroad during the winter months when the sun is much lower in the sky and the fixed roof panels lose efficiency...

Last edited:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
1615967377535.jpeg
Of course if roof space is an issue, fit an automatic self tracking solar panel.

100w, and averages FIVE time more efficient when tracking the Sun then when it’s parked and just like a conventional flat’ panel.

Changes direction every hour to chase the Sun, and uses GPS to check correct elevation every morning

madroy

Free Member
Apr 23, 2018
Funster No
Hi,
I have renewed my van to a Hymer B704PL.
I normally camp off grid (FLT) New van has no added extras.
I have booked to have the following added:

Solar 175W Victron MPPT Regulator
Sterling B2B 60A
Victron Multiplus Inverter/Charger
Victron Multiplus Digital Multi Control
Victron Smartshunt Battery Monitor
2 x 100a Lithium Batteries

I would appreciate it if one of the off grid pros on here could review this setup and give me any suitable advice. No wise cracks please.

Many thanks

Hi,
I have renewed my van to a Hymer B704PL.
I normally camp off grid (FLT) New van has no added extras.
I have booked to have the following added:

Solar 175W Victron MPPT Regulator
Sterling B2B 60A
Victron Multiplus Inverter/Charger
Victron Multiplus Digital Multi Control
Victron Smartshunt Battery Monitor
2 x 100a Lithium Batteries

I would appreciate it if one of the off grid pros on here could review this setup and give me any suitable advice. No wise cracks please.

Many thanks
I installed a diesel heater. I travel offgrid a lot in winter and find big prob is amount of gas used. 10 ltrs oil last a wk against a bottle of gas 4 days. With this setup a bottle lasts at least 4 wks cooking hot water and fridge. This saves me taking multi bottles travelling in europe.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
View attachment 474190Of course if roof space is an issue, fit an automatic self tracking solar panel.

100w, and averages FIVE time more efficient when tracking the Sun then when it’s parked and just like a conventional flat’ panel.

Changes direction every hour to chase the Sun, and uses GPS to check correct elevation every morning
That tracker is beautiful. Can you tell me if is a off the shelf design, and could I get one?
Thanks. 👍

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We sell them, but they are eye watering expensive, that photo is of my Son’s Winnebago

Conventional flat panels are much cheaper, but not as cool lol

The Van Bitz exhibition unit has one fitted if anyone ever wants to see on working

F4B2076E-3204-4893-B6F4-19289D3A0A90.jpeg

The roof lights and the really bright overhead lights in the NEC confused it lol

Bruchel

Free Member
Jul 29, 2020
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590 RS
Exp
Newbies
Great thread and lots of really useful stuff here. Nice problem to have Toady :giggle:
On the subject of coffee machines, not sure what you have, but we decided our Gaggia machine was a bit much to take in our van, so I bought this:
Amazon product ASIN B07R55GT28If you boil water on the hob, this can produce an espresso in under 10s from Nespresso or L'or capsules. We've tried many different capsules now and it makes an espresso every bit as good as our £500 Gaggia at home. Charges from a cigarette lighter. Single charge gives you 100+ cups (using hot water).
Raul mentioned a company called Craig Solar to me on a thread I have on the go about upgrading my electrics...
I was stunned at the prices, and that for the size, their panels seem more efficient than others of the same size.
Raul, you mentioned Panasonic HiT panels above in post #46. I guess they're more expensive than the Craig Solar, but do you know of a good supplier? 🙂

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Panasonic are rare to come by as are more money and less stock about. Saying that Midsummer energy, CCL Components and Bimble Solar stock them. I got mine from triple solar shop on eBay, over two years ago. The once I got are discontinued and replaced with the kuro model.
Another good supplier is Wind&Sun, they order in pretty much Anything.
The best by far is Segen, you can see life stock and design the hole system, then buy as a package. On this one is trade only with a approved account unfortunately.
CCL Components would be my first try.

OP
OP
Toady
Jan 1, 2019
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
Great thread and lots of really useful stuff here. Nice problem to have Toady :giggle:
On the subject of coffee machines, not sure what you have, but we decided our Gaggia machine was a bit much to take in our van, so I bought this:
Amazon product ASIN B07R55GT28If you boil water on the hob, this can produce an espresso in under 10s from Nespresso or L'or capsules. We've tried many different capsules now and it makes an espresso every bit as good as our £500 Gaggia at home. Charges from a cigarette lighter. Single charge gives you 100+ cups (using hot water).
Raul mentioned a company called Craig Solar to me on a thread I have on the go about upgrading my electrics...
I was stunned at the prices, and that for the size, their panels seem more efficient than others of the same size.
Raul, you mentioned Panasonic HiT panels above in post #46. I guess they're more expensive than the Craig Solar, but do you know of a good supplier? 🙂

Hi,
Coffee is important and we have a great machine at home. The other half has already installed a coffee machine in the van. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Brilliant advice on thread but eventually it comes down to practicality and budget. I would get carried away so the other half keeps me in check.

25 years ago we lived on a canal boat for 2 years full time. Life seemed simpler then. Big leisure batteries, B2B, generator and log burner.

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
View attachment 474190Of course if roof space is an issue, fit an automatic self tracking solar panel.

2 years ago when i was in Portugal a dutch lady had her sat dish (dish part only)removed and a solar panel fitted onto the the working parts,so the panel could change direction. A couple of guys staying on the aire done it . It looked good and worked,don,t know how save when driving but a cheap version of yours.😆.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I use a suitcase 100watt panel which I plug directly into the leasure batts.
It gives about 3 x as much as the one flat on the roof as I can move it around to stay @ 90deg to sun in winter.
Mitch

newcastlemartin

Free Member
Apr 28, 2018
Funster No
I've found the better situation is to be aware of these power, fuel and water issues and requirements, being prepared to have the equipment, space and tools, to change any situation for a better one, where ever I go. Start out with the best you can do at the moment, change things around once you know what you want to achieve. I had one of those battery operated small vacuume cleaners to keep my floors from dirt. Now it's about had it for further use, I'm on the lookout for another brand which can better fit the space I have devoted to keeping my cleaning kit. I might have to keep the charger and spare batteries somewhere as well, so working things out ahead of a need is the better idea. Martin 17032021 1336hrs

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Have you tried a stove top Mocha pot. Italians love coffee and nearly every Italian home has a mocha pot.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back