Upgrading to double camera at rear (1 Viewer)

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Have just purchased 2 cameras to go on the rear of the motorhome.

They will sit side by side in a stand alone compartment specifically for Rollerteams

I had one camera there so have one lead running to the front.

My cunning plan was to get a couple of Y connectors so that both cameras will join the existing one cable at the back of the van that then goes into the screen at the front of the van.

I dont know why but I am questioning as to whether this will still produce 2 different pictures on the 2 available view screens (AV1 and AV2)

Ami just having a mad moment ?

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Have just purchased 2 cameras to go on the rear of the motorhome.

They will sit side by side in a stand alone compartment specifically for Rollerteams

I had one camera there so have one lead running to the front.

My cunning plan was to get a couple of Y connectors so that both cameras will join the existing one cable at the back of the van that then goes into the screen at the front of the van.

I dont know why but I am questioning as to whether this will still produce 2 different pictures on the 2 available view screens (AV1 and AV2)

Ami just having a mad moment ?
Surely if you only have one signal cable and try to push both pictures down it your head unit won't know or see Av1 and Av2..... It will expect one signal and either produce garbage or the stronger signal will win. I.e. no way to separate the signal easily.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Sorry won't work, you need two cables for two cameras. your monitor can probably switch between two displays tho.

Unless you have some sort of switching system so only one signal goes down at any one time.

Waeco do that with their twin cameras, normally you see the road behind, but when reverse is selected then the display shows the looking down camera.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
Messages received

Thank you all
Since your camera system has a head capable of two views, then if the cable came with the camera kit, the cable fitted may have multiple signal wires within it! Open the cable at one end to have a look. If not, then as others have said, a second cable will be required, though if the display has only 1 connection from the camera (to serve both views) you’ll need to jury rig the two cables into that connection!

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Have a look at DWR. http://www.drwelectronics.com/

You could also ring the guy and describe what you have and what you want to do. Had good service from him before.
Already bought it.

2 cameras, both the same. A housing unit. I just have to run another cable to wherever the current one already runs now. There is 6 metres of the cable but I have 2 of them. 7 metre van so reckon it should be done in 6 metres worth

I think what i ll do is attach both the spare 6 metre cables to the one that is already there and just pull them through

Dec 2, 2019
Redcar/Cambrils, Spain
Funster No
MH
Now Tugging
Exp
More with boats than Moho
My Pilote has a single cable that is split by the camera mount and has two connectors, only one currently in use but I have another camera to connect to the other one

IMG_3473.jpeg

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Already bought it.

2 cameras, both the same. A housing unit. I just have to run another cable to wherever the current one already runs now. There is 6 metres of the cable but I have 2 of them. 7 metre van so reckon it should be done in 6 metres worth

I think what i ll do is attach both the spare 6 metre cables to the one that is already there and just pull them through

Both cameras the same ? Would you not need one wide angle to point down for reversing duties and one narrow angle to show the road behind when driving ?

Before pulling the cables thro, I'd lay them inside the van following the route you want them to take. I found that you need more cable then you think.

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Sorry won't work, you need two cables for two cameras. your monitor can probably switch between two displays tho.

Unless you have some sort of switching system so only one signal goes down at any one time.

Waeco do that with their twin cameras, normally you see the road behind, but when reverse is selected then the display shows the looking down camera.
I have a two camera system which has two signal cables. the monitor has two inputs so that, because it did not connect the reverse switch to the installed monitor cable, I manually switch when in reverse.

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Both cameras the same ? Would you not need one wide angle to point down for reversing duties and one narrow angle to show the road behind when driving ?

Before pulling the cables thro, I'd lay them inside the van following the route you want them to take. I found that you need more cable then you think.
They are the same camera but can be set up differently.
I m hopeful, as they are an extremely similar camera to the one that is already there, that the cable already in use is a 6m cable.
If not it will be another bridge to cross !

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I have a two camera system which has two signal cables. the monitor has two inputs so that, because it did not connect the reverse switch to the installed monitor cable, I manually switch when in reverse.
Yes that’s what I do, I have the long distance one on all the time with the ignition then manually switch to the vertical one. It’s great for reversing normally and absolutely fantastic when backing onto the trailer.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
all i want is a backlit screen that allows me to see it when it is brighter outside, it seems there is no such animal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back