Jul 15, 2015
Isleham Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2012
good evening all,
Looking at upgrading the water pump in my 2004 Autotrail as the pressure in the shower and the sink tap seems to have dropped, can I just put a new more powerful one in or will this create complications. Any help greatly received.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
you shouldnt increase the pressure too much as joints pop apart. if the pump is a shureflow one, the a service kit would improve pressure unless you have a scaling problem

OP
OP
Cockers
Jul 15, 2015
Isleham Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2012
Not sure what make it is, I'll have a rummage around under the bed in the morning, I think because it's 11 years old it must be getting a bit tired, that's if it's the original one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Any idea where the filter is
Should be on the suction side of the pump (makes sense) - all mine have been. My system also benefited hugely from fitting an accumulator on the discharge side. Shurflo ones expensive, Fiamma one is about £24 and easy to fit if you don't have one.

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
I mean the small mesh filters usually located in the the sink tap itself and in the hot and cold inlets in the shower mixer valve.Also as Cocker's said you need to check to see if there is an inline filter.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
The limiting factor of how high the presure can be is usually the water heater which will have a max presure after which it will split or blow seals

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
Correct, if your existing pump is, for instance 20psi, don't put a 30psi pump in, I carry a spare pump, just in case and when I tried it out (it takes only a few minutes to swap) I was surprised how noisy it was compared to to oe pump

OP
OP
Cockers
Jul 15, 2015
Isleham Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2012
Hi gents, thanks for all the advice I will pop the pump out this week and see if I can get a replacement, and keep the old on as a spare. I'm always worried it will stop working whilst we are away. like your idea Markh

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Hi gents, thanks for all the advice I will pop the pump out this week and see if I can get a replacement, and keep the old on as a spare. I'm always worried it will stop working whilst we are away. like your idea Markh
And get a service kit for it, gasket, diaphram, etc change them and its a ready for service pump. Try ASAP supplies for the service kit, and even the pump.

OP
OP
Cockers
Jul 15, 2015
Isleham Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for the advice. I must say this forum is brilliant, really looking forward to meeting some of you at future events

May 16, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
VW T4 Compass Calypso
Exp
Since 2007
Paying absolutely no attention to PSI, I replaced mine with one of the four chamber higher delivery pumps, and blew my water heater valve and taps clean off. After I had sussed it out, I kept the pump, but fitted a pressure regulator valve. After a small adjustment to the grub screw on front of pump, it pumps as soon as I open tap and stops as soon as I close it, within a couple of seconds max. With a little alteration, I could now run mains water pressure in too.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Paying absolutely no attention to PSI, I replaced mine with one of the four chamber higher delivery pumps, and blew my water heater valve and taps clean off. After I had sussed it out, I kept the pump, but fitted a pressure regulator valve. After a small adjustment to the grub screw on front of pump, it pumps as soon as I open tap and stops as soon as I close it, within a couple of seconds max. With a little alteration, I could now run mains water pressure in too.
So long as you know UK water pressure is circa 44psi above most Mo Ho systems, an American RV is rated at 45psi but most RVers still use a pressure reg when piped in to mains
a blown joint makes one hell of a mess very quickly at mains pressuer
Golden rule, finished with water or going out "PUMP OFF" or RVs Mains tap "OFF2:cry::cry::cry::cry:(y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you update the flow rate of the pump not the pressure it will give you more perceived pressure at the taps and shower head, But after saying all that if it has been OK for 12 years I would go with the suggestions above of a service kit, assuming it is a serviceable pump. Or if it's a replacement just go with the same, after all higher flow at the taps and shower just means more trips with the watering can.

Martin

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
It is possible to alter the pressure on a Shurflow pump, but for the reasons stated above, caution is required. Due to the age, I would agree that it is more likely a tired/punctured diaphragm and a service kit is the way to go.

I replaced the pump, thinking it was on it's last legs, only to find no difference whatsoever, so I mounted the old one next to the replacement as a spare (luckily I've got room for it). Also fitted an accumulator which stopped the system "burping" during the night when pressure very slowly dropped and also smoothed out the pump outflow.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back