Upgrading chassis gwv and payload (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
I was hoping to get a direct answer from sv tech however despite sending 2 emails to sv tech both with read receipts confirming Gareth has read said emails he has not had the common courtesy to reply. To which I am extremely peeved off with to say the least. Yes I know I could ring. However due to workloads it's not possible atm. Anyone else have issues trying to get svtech to respond to emails.?

So I am hoping someone on here can answer my questions.

I am still looking to purchase an a class rapido however I am aware the payloads are shite. So I am looking at upgrade options.

I am looking at 06-11 models and I am aware these were built on fiat camper,alko and merc chassis.

From my research I know these can be upgraded paper only to either 3700 or 3800. However I wish to know to what level for which chassis.

I am prob looking to upgrade further and heard peeps have gone over 4t using air suspension. However again is this for a certain chassis? And would I need to upgrade to 16 inch wheels. I belive one of the chassis can go to 4250 on 15inch wheels. Read it somewhere but cannot find post on another site.

I would rather get this information prior to purchasing a motorhome as this will determine my purchase budget. I know i have to spend money upgrading but don't wasn't to find out bought a vehicle which can only go to 3700 when a different model could go a lot further.

Appreciate upgrade may cost 500-1000 maybe more but with a family of 4 I need it. If anyone has approx cost for air suspension upgrades would be appreciated.

Yes I could choose a different manufacture however I really like build quality of rapido's and the layout. Also like Idea if air suspension giving better ride.

Appreciate any assistance anyone can provide.

Thanks in advance.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
thats very hard to answer with out having chassis details .
sv.tec have a link with the manufacturers but just saying its a 3,500kg chassis doesnt give enough info to honestly answer your question .
my advice would be look for one thats already rated higher .
i know its not quite what you wanted to hear but more details i think is needed . gareth is usually very helpfull. but very busy. i,m sure he requires more info .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
I have a new Rapido A class which came plated at 3500kg. I fitted VB air assist suspension and up plated to 3850kg on a fiat chassis with 150bhp via SVtech, this is the manufacturers original plate weights 2000kg for the rear, 1850kg for the front. If I then upgrade the rear tyres to 225/70 r15 with a load rating of 112 the rear axle can be up plated to 2240kg from 2000kg giving a new GVW of 4090kg's . SV tech will do this upgrade for free if I do it within the year of the original up plating. All in the VB air assist was supplied and fitted by a VB dealer for around £600 and £310 to SV Tech for the up plating. HTH.

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
I have a new Rapido A class which came plated at 3500kg. I fitted VB air assist suspension and up plated to 3850kg on a fiat chassis with 150bhp via SVtech, this is the manufacturers original plate weights 2000kg for the rear, 1850kg for the front. If I then upgrade the rear tyres to 225/70 r15 with a load rating of 112 the rear axle can be up plated to 2240kg from 2000kg giving a new GVW of 4090kg's . SV tech will do this upgrade for free if I do it within the year of the original up plating. All in the VB air assist was supplied and fitted by a VB dealer for around £600 and £310 to SV Tech for the up plating. HTH.
Wonderful thanks for that can I ask it is a standard fiat chassis or alko will determine if I get F it DF. Just need someone with a merc chassis to confirm if these can go as high

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
thats very hard to answer with out having chassis details .
sv.tec have a link with the manufacturers but just saying its a 3,500kg chassis doesnt give enough info to honestly answer your question .
my advice would be look for one thats already rated higher .
i know its not quite what you wanted to hear but more details i think is needed . gareth is usually very helpfull. but very busy. i,m sure he requires more info .
I know that's my point though svtech will know what chassis can do what do all they needed to do is reply to my email with details so can make a decision. If one chassis def cannot be upgraded then I can cross off my list

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
Bog standard Fiat chassis with leaf springs. Very stable with the VB air assist fitted.

Maddo

Free Member
Jan 9, 2016
Tamworth
Funster No
MH
Pilote Low profile
Exp
Since 2006
Hi Jagtazman
Where did you get VB air suspension for £600? I am trying to upgrade my Pilote for the same reasons, but costs are coming in at £900+!!
Thanks

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Hi Jagtazman
Where did you get VB air suspension for £600? I am trying to upgrade my Pilote for the same reasons, but costs are coming in at £900+!!
Thanks
It was @Lorryman100 what said £600 Not sure where he got his fitted from but good point would be interested to know myself.

Maddo

Free Member
Jan 9, 2016
Tamworth
Funster No
MH
Pilote Low profile
Exp
Since 2006
Sorry Jagtazman, less speed more haste!
The VB system seems to be only available with the compressor, guages etc, £700 plus £240 dealer fitting (Conrad Anderson) Birmingham is my nearest. Tried AS Air suspension which is £100 cheaper, but they can't fit till July!

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
Turriff caravans near Aberdeen is the VB dealer I used. The price is dependant on the chassis type, Alko chassis require additional fixings which raises the cost and you do not need to get the compressor just get the basic kit with gauges.

Maddo

Free Member
Jan 9, 2016
Tamworth
Funster No
MH
Pilote Low profile
Exp
Since 2006
Mine's just the Fiat chassis with leaf springs. I didn't know you could opt out of the compressor, only listed with it included on the VB site. I'll have a chat with the fitter. Thanks.

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Edited prev post as found answer

Difference between packages

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
If you want to be able to lift and lower the suspension from the cab then you will need the compressor and switch panel for your model of motorhome. The basic kit is basically the two air bags and fittings plus pipe work to schrader valves. I added the gauges so that I could visually keep an eye on the bag pressures. Initially the pressure was set at 2 bar which lifted the rear end a good 6 inches and was quite firm. I lowered the pressures eventually to 1 bar and this gives a good smooth ride without the wallowing associated with just having the leaf springs fitted. If I need to raise the pressures a foot pump or compressor can easily be attached to the schrader valves and the bags inflated. The bags do not hold a lot of air so not much pumping is required to raise the pressure. The Rapido sits quite high in the back end as standard so clearance wasn't an issue when specifying the system that would suit my use which turned out to be the basic kit.

Broken Link Removed

This was the height at 2 bar pressure

Broken Link Removed

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
Just dug out the receipt for the VB air assist from Turriff caravans:

1 x semi air kit £380.00
1 x gauge kit £64.80
1 x Labour £180.00
1 x carriage £48.00
Total £672.80

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
I was hoping to get a direct answer from sv tech however despite sending 2 emails to sv tech both with read receipts confirming Gareth has read said emails he has not had the common courtesy to reply. To which I am extremely peeved off with to say the least. Yes I know I could ring. However due to workloads it's not possible atm. Anyone else have issues trying to get svtech to respond to emails.?

So I am hoping someone on here can answer my questions.

I am still looking to purchase an a class rapido however I am aware the payloads are shite. So I am looking at upgrade options.

I am looking at 06-11 models and I am aware these were built on fiat camper,alko and merc chassis.

From my research I know these can be upgraded paper only to either 3700 or 3800. However I wish to know to what level for which chassis.

I am prob looking to upgrade further and heard peeps have gone over 4t using air suspension. However again is this for a certain chassis? And would I need to upgrade to 16 inch wheels. I belive one of the chassis can go to 4250 on 15inch wheels. Read it somewhere but cannot find post on another site.

I would rather get this information prior to purchasing a motorhome as this will determine my purchase budget. I know i have to spend money upgrading but don't wasn't to find out bought a vehicle which can only go to 3700 when a different model could go a lot further.

Appreciate upgrade may cost 500-1000 maybe more but with a family of 4 I need it. If anyone has approx cost for air suspension upgrades would be appreciated.

Yes I could choose a different manufacture however I really like build quality of rapido's and the layout. Also like Idea if air suspension giving better ride.

Appreciate any assistance anyone can provide.

Thanks in advance.
Yes, I also emailed them over a week ago and am still awaiting a reply

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
I phoned them direct and spoke to Steve who explained what was required, filled in/ scanned the relevant paperwork and emailed it direct to Steve. Invoice came through the post 2 days later, paid by BACS that night and received plate and converter docs 2 days later, painless process.

Gcs

Feb 18, 2015
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
5 years
I sent off all my paperwork to svtech, heard nothing for 2 weeks, phoned and was told they'd get on to it Monday morning. still heard nothing, chased again and it arrived the next day. seems like everything else these days, you have to make a fuss or nothing gets done :(

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Having used SVTech they are pretty efficient!

Perhaps they are busy post Peterborough? Perhaps he is ill or on holiday?

Have the courtesy to either give him time to respond or pick up the phone and speak to them.

I think you are being a bit unrealistic in your expectations.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Yes, that is why I haven't contacted them again yet - I am simply replying to the OP above. I am not sure how big the outfit is and it may well be a matter of an individual being busy, sick, on holiday. Few of these things are vitally important and, certainly as far as I am concerned, up-plating can wait a few weeks or more.

Gcs

Feb 18, 2015
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
5 years
Don't doubt they are pretty efficient, they certainly dealt with mine very quickly in the end, think the problem was that it had got mislaid somewhere along the line once it reached them, certainly got that impression each time I rang them.
Not having a go about svtech, just passing on my personal experience.

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Having used SVTech they are pretty efficient!

Perhaps they are busy post Peterborough? Perhaps he is ill or on holiday?

Have the courtesy to either give him time to respond or pick up the phone and speak to them.

I think you are being a bit unrealistic in your expectations.
sorry but disagree if I treated my customers like this I would be shot. All he needs to do is send a holding response,
eg Thanks for email we are extremely busy dont worry we will respond to your enquiry shortly.

To read and email where a request for information has been requested and not respond for over a week is disrespectful and discourteous imho. I believe as they have cornered the market they think they can get away with it. And all you are doing is re confirming this. It just ain't on.
Rant over....
PS Yes I can ring them but as explained no way I could ring them this week just way too busy but I have managed time to respond to all my customers or potential customers emails. !!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back