Davylambretta

Free Member
Jun 12, 2017
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Was looking to see what fuel pump was fitted to my 28idTD and came across these anyone familiar with them looks like upgraded injectors of sorts

12026735-CJ0fP.png

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
I don' know the answer.But why do you need more power, I have the same engine and has plenty of poke.I've seen on forums of people chipping etc for more torque but then have problems with clutch slip.

OP
OP
D

Davylambretta

Free Member
Jun 12, 2017
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
I don't just found it and asking but if it gets me up through Glencoe a bit quicker at Hamburger hill then I'd be interested

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Probably does nothing more than overfuelling in the same way a basic tuning box increases fuel rail pressure in a JTD engine

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
What gear are you using at hamburger hill , if its fourth then you would need to still use that gear , and possibly rev more to go faster , as using extra power to pull 5th will hasten its departure as its been marginal from the start .

Ashie

Free Member
Feb 24, 2020
Brittany, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner i642 A cla
Exp
Newbie 2019
I've got a 2.8idtd on a 2000 Burstner. Found that no power was supplied to cold start unit on injection pump.
To help cold starting the timing is advanced. As the waxstat unit heats up it pushes the control lever back till it hits the stop, retarding the timing to its normal position. The wax is heated by 12volts as the engine warms up. Without any power the timing remains advanced even when the engine is hot. Couldn't find a wiring diagram so fitted new seperate wire from ignition switch to injector pump. Much better power at low revs and quieter running.
Parts show are to increase fuel depending on turbo boost, fitted inside the injection pump. Modified shape is supposed to improve power. Seems expensive has anyone tried one?

Duksu

Free Member
Dec 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Ducato 2000 2.8idtd
Parts show are to increase fuel depending on turbo boost, fitted inside the injection pump. Modified shape is supposed to improve power. Seems expensive has anyone tried one?

Had my original modified like the DT piston shown in the picture, rev limiter raised and fueling increased. Also got as big wheels inside the original turbo that could be fitted, boost increased to 1,8bar by adding an additional spring to keep wastegate more closed, straight 3" exhaust, no mufflers. Added some air reflectors to original cooler, opened up intake (still original filter as K&N is rubbish), added water/meth injection to keep engine and EGTs cool. Upgraded original 235mm clutch to JTD 240mm which was P&P, but it lasted two days. Got upgraded pressure plate and it has been fine for some five years now. Haven't dynoed, but something like 200-220hp, 600Nm. Literally no way to adjust low end torque (not a JTD engine), which is hard on the clutch, gearbox, driveshafts, etc. Now looking for some bigger nozzles to release some 20-40hp which should be close what clutch can handle. Original pump head is 12mm, so it is good for at least 350hp. You don't need to worry about 5th gear, because it's really beefy. The problem is when you use low revs with 5th gear as it doesn't get lubricated. I use 5th gear only above 2000rpm and have no problems with it. Biggest gearbox problem seems to be when you do moneyshifts from 2nd to 3rd as syncroring won't take that.

I have built also VW T4 2.5TDI van -96, 380hp/850Nm and MB OM606 (=3L, inline 6cyl, 24v, IDI diesel) in W201 chassis, 692hp/1250Nm, so my Ducato is just a mild improvement.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Had my original modified like the DT piston shown in the picture, rev limiter raised and fueling increased. Also got as big wheels inside the original turbo that could be fitted, boost increased to 1,8bar by adding an additional spring to keep wastegate more closed, straight 3" exhaust, no mufflers. Added some air reflectors to original cooler, opened up intake (still original filter as K&N is rubbish), added water/meth injection to keep engine and EGTs cool. Upgraded original 235mm clutch to JTD 240mm which was P&P, but it lasted two days. Got upgraded pressure plate and it has been fine for some five years now. Haven't dynoed, but something like 200-220hp, 600Nm. Literally no way to adjust low end torque (not a JTD engine), which is hard on the clutch, gearbox, driveshafts, etc. Now looking for some bigger nozzles to release some 20-40hp which should be close what clutch can handle. Original pump head is 12mm, so it is good for at least 350hp. You don't need to worry about 5th gear, because it's really beefy. The problem is when you use low revs with 5th gear as it doesn't get lubricated. I use 5th gear only above 2000rpm and have no problems with it. Biggest gearbox problem seems to be when you do moneyshifts from 2nd to 3rd as syncroring won't take that.

I have built also VW T4 2.5TDI van -96, 380hp/850Nm and MB OM606 (=3L, inline 6cyl, 24v, IDI diesel) in W201 chassis, 692hp/1250Nm, so my Ducato is just a mild improvement.
Blimey, that's one heck of a lot of work!

(I just leave home ten minutes earlier ;) ).

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The 2.8 idti engine is a damn good engine in stock form. Pretty much bomb proof with no electrical problems like the JTD. I had the idti in a Hymer 754 tag axle that also towed a trailer or towcar constantly. If it was me I would leave well alone and enjoy reasonable fuel consumption and reliability that was built in by the manufacturer. In stock form you will still get speeding tickets if pushed to the limit.

Duksu

Free Member
Dec 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Ducato 2000 2.8idtd
Blimey, that's one heck of a lot of work!

(I just leave home ten minutes earlier ;) ).
Not really. I work with cars everyday, but mainly collision repair/painting. My VW T4 was the most powerful 2.5TDI engine in the world back some ten years ago. OM606 was also most powerful back in 2010 to these days. These engines really needed some work, not my Ducato.

(I leave ten minutes later on purpose and pass everything on my way... :devil:)

I would have bought a more powerful van in the first place.
Duksu informed your insurers?... they love performance enhancing modifications

What's the fun in there? You should see peoples faces in their sports cars when they try to overtake my T4 on the motorway. Hilarious moments to remember even if I get Alzheimer's some day.
Really don't care about insurance as I'm not that old yet. It's just money.

The 2.8 idti engine is a damn good engine in stock form. Pretty much bomb proof with no electrical problems like the JTD. I had the idti in a Hymer 754 tag axle that also towed a trailer or towcar constantly. If it was me I would leave well alone and enjoy reasonable fuel consumption and reliability that was built in by the manufacturer. In stock form you will still get speeding tickets if pushed to the limit.
Consumption was 11,5L/100km @100kmh originally as this was my dad's from new. Now modified 7,5L/100km @100kmh. That's mainly because I have only improved efficiency so far (camshaft is still original). If I find some six or seven hole injectors with decent spray pattern, efficiency will improve even further.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
What's the fun in there? You should see peoples faces in their sports cars when they try to overtake my T4 on the motorway. Hilarious moments to remember even if I get Alzheimer's some day.
Really don't care about insurance as I'm not that old yet. It's just money.
Why doesn't that surprise me!!!
Looks like speed limits don't apply to you either
You will care if you kill someone and you lose everything you own paying the bill

Duksu

Free Member
Dec 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Ducato 2000 2.8idtd
Why doesn't that surprise me!!!
Looks like speed limits don't apply to you either
You will care if you kill someone and you lose everything you own paying the bill
I always thought those are only lower limit recommendations for older people, so they won't fall asleep while driving.
Hmm... Didn't think people are all that expensive. Maybe if I ram into a full bus, then maybe...

Just messing with you John. Sorry.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Probably does nothing more than overfuelling in the same way a basic tuning box increases fuel rail pressure in a JTD engine
I'm not sure how you can over fuel this engine, I'm no expert on these units, but I wasn't aware that they're common rail engines, instead they are simply controlled by the fuel pump?
That's the reason why you can't "chip" these engines or use a booster box, AFAIK you can only modify the power output by mechanical means.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'm not sure how you can over fuel this engine, I'm no expert on these units, but I wasn't aware that they're common rail engines, instead they are simply controlled by the fuel pump?
That's the reason why you can't "chip" these engines or use a booster box, AFAIK you can only modify the power output by mechanical means.
It isn't common rail, it is a mechanical pump. The pump will inject to each cylinder every so many degrees of rotation BUT by using modified injectors they will allow more fuel to pass for the same degree of rotation.

• Informative
Reactions: f6c

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back