Upgrade Head Unit to Apple Carplay (1 Viewer)

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
Hi ,,, we have a 2021 boxer motor home with the standard DAB radio which I would like to upgrade to double din head unit with apple carplay to allow gps from my phone plus all my music.
Has anyone upgraded there head unit and if so what did you use , how difficult was it and approx the price

Cheers Paul

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
I went with the Alpine unit, fits single din aperture and provides benefits of double din screen size. Very pleased with my unit(y)

OP
OP
gradyp

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
I went with the Alpine unit, fits single din aperture and provides benefits of double din screen size. Very pleased with my unit(y)
That looks good , was it a easy fit and did the steering wheel controls still work and the USB port

Cheers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Have rhe Alpine head unit in my van and not impressed.
SatNav is not good even though I can I put my vehicle dimensions it still wants to take me down single track lanes🙁
Dab radio sucks cannot keep any stations for to long, this may be the antenna so have to investigate.

Was expecting the Apple play to mirror my iPhone when connected but only a few apps on my phone come up on the screen.
I have subscribed to Sygic Truck but it won’t show on Apple Play.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
That looks good , was it a easy fit and did the steering wheel controls still work and the USB port

Cheers
Yes, I found it easy to fit even though I had to get the adapter to converter to single din. Wiring was made simple by purchasing the correct connection block to suit vehicle. Sorry can’t comment on steering wheel controls as I don’t have that luxury;) but again, believe you can get the appropriate connector.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Have rhe Alpine head unit in my van and not impressed.
SatNav is not good even though I can I put my vehicle dimensions it still wants to take me down single track lanes🙁
Dab radio sucks cannot keep any stations for to long, this may be the antenna so have to investigate.

Was expecting the Apple play to mirror my iPhone when connected but only a few apps on my phone come up on the screen.
I have subscribed to Sygic Truck but it won’t show on Apple Play.
The model I’ve linked to isn’t the satnav version and half the price, so unable to comment on the Alpine navigation software.
However, I have no issue with DAB signal so would suggest this is antenna issue for you?

Regarding CarPlay, it will mirror all iPhone Apps that are compatible and designed to work with CarPlay. Unfortunately, Sygic Truck isn’t designed to work with CarPlay only the standard version, which is annoying and don’t understand why the developers have chosen to do this…..

Apple Map, Google Maps, Waze and standard version of Sygic navigation work via CarPlay as well as Apple Music, Spotify, Podcasts, Audible (great for Audible books), phone and message work flawlessly. I’m sure they’ll soon be a navigation developer that will support CarPlay with their motorhome/truck specific navigation software, which will make dedicated navigation devices surplus to requirements, just a case of which one?????

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
The model I’ve linked to isn’t the satnav version and half the price, so unable to comment on the Alpine navigation software.
However, I have no issue with DAB signal so would suggest this is antenna issue for you?

Regarding CarPlay, it will mirror all iPhone Apps that are compatible and designed to work with CarPlay. Unfortunately, Sygic Truck isn’t designed to work with CarPlay only the standard version, which is annoying and don’t understand why the developers have chosen to do this…..

Apple Map, Google Maps, Waze and standard version of Sygic navigation work via CarPlay as well as Apple Music, Spotify, Podcasts, Audible (great for Audible books), phone and message work flawlessly. I’m sure they’ll soon be a navigation developer that will support CarPlay with their motorhome/truck specific navigation software, which will make dedicated navigation devices surplus to requirements, just a case of which one?????
Thanks for the info, looks like I will have to run Sygic on the iPad👍

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but has anyone any experience the new Alpine Halo 11 unit

I’m picking up my new Rapido which has the Kenwood 7” unit in but fancy bigger and hopefully better

i’d like Apple play and the ability to see my dual reversing cameras one of which i can have on whilst driving along forwards

Any help appreciated
Al 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back