Updating an older MH....the done thing? (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Cheyenne 696SE
Exp
Hi all,

We have only recently acquired our first MH - a 2004 Autotrail Cheyenne 696se. We love it. However, we want to put our own stamp on it. Without really tearing into the interior - which doesn't really need doing - there are a couple of jobs I fancy taking on. I just wondered if I'd end up devaluing the MH rather than adding value to it? Are most MH buyers strictly traditionalists? Do they prefer things to be 'as standard'? and therefore I'd be better leaving well alone? Or would a few well executed modifications be just the tonic?

I'd like to carry out the following mods:

Replace the dated looking sockets and switches with new ones
Replace the kitchen worktop and sink unit with something more modern
Jazz up the cupboards somehow (suggestions or examples more than welcome!)
Re upholster throughout

Would I be upsetting the purists?

Has anyone done exactly what I'm thinking of doing and could you chip in with ideas and where to get things?

Any input gratefully accepted.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
My opinion. Updates can increase or reduce resale value purely on how well they are done. I have seen one old van late 80's that had the inside totally gutted and redone to a really high standard. It has no doubt increased it's resale value except amongst those Hymer purists.

My view is that if you are keeping the van for 2,5 or more years and you want it improve don't worry about the resale price especially on an older (classic) vehicle.

Upvote 0
Jun 4, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest SE
Exp
Very little - 6 months
We've done our van up inside and we love it! I don't care about the resale value, its about how much enjoyment we get from it - and on the basis that the interior is ssssoooo much nicer and its done to our taste, then its worth every penny to me! If we decide to sell to upgrade, my view is there is a buyer for every scenario - you might just have to wait a bit longer....! I'd say do it - and enjoy every minute of doing it up! I loved doing ours up, as the difference was amazing....and the fact that ours doesn't look that great from the inside, but when you go inside, it looks fantastic - surprises people all the time when they come in! Go for it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I do not think I have had a van yet that I did not modify in some way,,
I like to put my stamp on them.. otherwise it is like I am just renting the thing for a while.
resale value never enters my mind. I bought the van cos I wanted it.. I modified them to make them MORE how I wanted them

Just do it (y)

Upvote 0
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I prefer excellent condition and original, even on a 20yr old van (possibly an anal purist :LOL:)
I also appreciate that many like to customise and renew to their own taste - so do whatever makes you happy, it's your van after all...
Good points, but I really wish you would change your avatar - I hate it, and can't bear to look at it!!!!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Good points, but I really wish you would change your avatar - I hate it, and can't bear to look at it!!!!
I must admit I don't like it either ... but then not everyone will like mine! :D

Upvote 0
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I'll be packing the mask away after tonight, assuming an aggressive/frightened trick or treater doesn't bludgeon me first :LOL:
My avatar will be a couple of delicious looking kaas broodjes soon enough...

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I've modified and altered every van I've owned.... And each one I've increased the value of it which was proven by the resale value. As long as the things you do are tasteful and done well you won't devalue the van.
But it isn't all about the value it's making the van more suitable for you

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The_Kraken
Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Cheyenne 696SE
Exp

Ive been very bad and haven't updated this thread. I'm so sorry. I haven't got very far into the list I published at the start of this thread either!

So far I have:
Swapped the sockets for modern CBE type and changed the bank of sockets above the sink (thrown out the old Autotrail mdf effort for a nice brushed metal effort)

Added a couple of USB charging points (1 below the seating on the passenger side and 1 in the bedroom with swanky on off switches if you please)

Installed new runners in the bench seats and added gas struts.....wirh magneta to hold the legs up (Cheyenne owners will know what Im talking about)

We have been busy enjoying our MH and being out in her as much as possible. So the major jobs Ive wanted to tackle are still on the list but other things Ive done are:

Had a towbar fitted
Installed a tow-a-car A Frame to our little tow car (a Fiat Seicento)
Replaced the roll out awning which was kaput.
Replaced the gas locker door catch which was seized solid
Replaced the rear lights
Replaced the flue stack rubber seal - and re sealed it and the rooflights

We've had some fantastic times so far. More epic adventures to cone!

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Don't worry about it, we buy them to use not prettify. Anyway you'll probably get a better idea of what, and how, to improve/renew/replace that way.
But thanks for updating.

Upvote 0

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
I prefer excellent condition and original, even on a 20yr old van (possibly an anal purist :LOL:)
I also appreciate that many like to customise and renew to their own taste - so do whatever makes you happy, it's your van after all...

I agree with both your points. I've got a Mercedes 550s and my previous van was also a Mercedes 550s. The first was pristine when my husband and I bought it and it looked just as it did when it came out of the factory, inside and out. It would have been a sin to have changed it all. We looked after it until it met an untimely end when it was hit by a young girl in a Nissan Micra.

The second was mechanically sound but not so pretty on the inside. Dirty and covered in yellow sticky backed plastic, it wasn't pleasant and not somewhere you'd want to spend a lot of time in. A succession of owners who hadn't really cared how it looked. In this case I felt I'd been given carte blanche to do just as I liked as I couldn't have made it any worse than it already was. So, on this one I've just done as I've liked and although the layout is still the same it's fairly unrecognisable to the vehicle it once was. I get a lot of offers to buy and even had a card under my windscreen wipers that said if I ever wanted to sell then just name my price!

So, you never can tell.

Upvote 0
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
This S700 currently for sale..
First impression, ooh it's had a bad respray, that's a shame...
Then I click on the internal pics! What the hell have they done :Eeek:
What could possibly have been wrong with it for them to destroy 'update' such a wonderful vehicle??

Upvote 0

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
What could possibly have been wrong with it for them to destroy 'update' such a wonderful vehicle??
I love it !!!

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I guess it depends on the owners taste some will like that others won't

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back