Updated Conversion Regs From 21 October 19. Graphics And Awning Now Required (1 Viewer)

Garratt

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Miskin
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer D55+
Exp
Since 2017
That's what I thought, but I watched a Youtube video yesterday and the chap on there perceived it has having to have 2 cabin windows on one side which would mean a re-design for me :(

Martin
I watched that video too and concluded that he had got it wrong. What they are saying is that there must be 2 windows in the sides of the van not counting the cab door windows or those in the rear doors. So one either side in the lounge area will be OK.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Does anyone have photos of where is the best place to attach awning rails on a Boxer van?
How high up do you fit them?
Sorry if those sound like daft questions but being a newbie I am struggling to visualise what it should look like.
Thanks
You can get awning rails which fit directly onto the fittings for roof bars, which should already be in place.

Have a look on here.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Glad my Doblo, no graphics, but walking height only for 5' me is already registered as a motorhome. Do have some graphics though, wonder if you would get away with putting graphics on for the photos and removing them after you get the registration. How will insurance deal with a 'van with windows' which also has electrics, gas, toilet etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
I watched that video too and concluded that he had got it wrong. What they are saying is that there must be 2 windows in the sides of the van not counting the cab door windows or those in the rear doors. So one either side in the lounge area will be

The guidelines quite clearly ask for at least 2 windows on one side of the van excluding the drivers door window. The reason for this is to make it look like a motor caravan and not simply a van with windows.

SurferBuzz

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Deepest darkest North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
VW Crafter self build
Exp
Campervaning 9yrs
Got my V5c back last week, "van/w windows..."
Sent it away the week before the website got updated, just back luck I guess.

Thankfully I put 2 windows either side so I'm hopefully only looking at graphics and a £650 4m awning which we were going to get anyway, just not till the finances had recovered some what from the sting of the original conversion.

The language on the DVLA website is somewhat ambiguous, but that could be said for any of the government’s websites.
I'd rather be fitting a rail for a removable canopy/drive away awning but I'm not sure that's what they mean.

Deleted User
It's difficult to know what exactly they want but if you keep in mind that from the DVLA point of view it has to look like a motor caravan as opposed to a van with windows. Adding graphics and an awning rail (doesn't have to be full on board awning) will help. I have seen a photo on a van that got accepted that didn't have an awning rail but looked every way like a motor caravan having 2 windows in living area, graphics, roof solar panels, skylight, wind deflector, vent for heating, inlet and outlet for water etc.

vantastic

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Crafter xlwb
The "Motorcaravan style graphics" is beyond stupid in my opinion. What is that even, how can it change with the times? Quantify!
It's an aesthetic aspect of the vehicle I really feel they have no right to a say on.
I really hate the "Motorcaravan style graphics" and I would be ashamed of carting around a monstrosity with that stuff plastered over the sides.
What next, no red or yellow vehicles allowed?
Mandatory stories on the back, similar to the 'smoking kills' messages on fag boxes, of how our beloved Dear Leaders have improved our camping experience?

Mistajim

Free Member
Dec 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
This year

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I think its unreasonable to ask for anything to do with an external awning.
Not all mh have them as optional extra.
External graphics are not relevant to the vehicle. Again, you can buy a new mh with no graphics. Completly irrelevant.

Deleted User
I think its unreasonable to ask for anything to do with an external awning.
Not all mh have them as optional extra.
External graphics are not relevant to the vehicle. Again, you can buy a new mh with no graphics. Completly irrelevant.
They are only guidelines and the criteria is that is must look like a campervan and not just look like a van with windows.The DVLA are going to update these guidelines in response to queries from the public.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
As of oct 2019, must have features;
Screenshot_20191227-103009_Word.jpg

Sep 22, 2013
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Relay self-build
Exp
Trainee MH owner
The external features list DOES NOT demand that all these features are present, it gives you the opportunity to indicate which features are included. Presumably more is better though...?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The form is badly written. I'd take it that a couple of the features present would be enough. Demonstrating genuine intent & presenting a few photos would be enough. It looks like it was written after a 10 minute brainstorm of non-camping office workers.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I phoned DVLA this morning and asked them to clarify the high roof requirement and the awning ‘bar’. . Rhys checked with the relevant department and his answer was every van will be judged on it’s own merit.
The external features list DOES NOT demand that all these features are present, it gives you the opportunity to indicate which features are included. Presumably more is better though...?
I carry out inspections on behalf of the DVLA on previously unregistered motorbikes that have been 'Reconstructed' or have been built from a variety of parts (aka 'basket cases'). There are firm guidelines on what makes them qualify 'substantially' with the category sought by the owner but not all features are obligatory.

Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
The graphics on my sidecar in my avatar were all my own work, although retired I still have all my kit and software.
Hi Fred, What size of graphics can you do? Ill be looking for something in the not to distant future but mine is a truck camper. Regards
Shayne

Oct 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit selfbui
Exp
I've been in a conversation with someone (via a dog agility forum where the subject just happened to crop up) who has just converted a van to a motorhome and has sent off their paperwork. They were convinced you simply need to comply with some of the requirements not all. (In fact she thought three, though I'm not sure where that came from). It is obvious that the two windows on one side are compulsory because they are included in the 'must have' interior category, So... I've asked her to let me know if she gets it approved with three of the categories ticked, but meanwhile we are debating whether we have to drill holes for an awning rail, before we start the lining and insulation process. We're in two minds about the awning since our Transit has a high roof - not the Highest roof, it's H2, but high enough to walk around in and we are munchkins so we'd struggle to attach an awning to a rail without taking ladders. Has anyone else yet got Motorhome status despite not having an awning rail?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
you dont need to drill to attach an awning rail, bond it on with sikaflex

Mistajim

Free Member
Dec 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
This year
I've been in a conversation with someone (via a dog agility forum where the subject just happened to crop up) who has just converted a van to a motorhome and has sent off their paperwork. They were convinced you simply need to comply with some of the requirements not all. (In fact she thought three, though I'm not sure where that came from). It is obvious that the two windows on one side are compulsory because they are included in the 'must have' interior category, So... I've asked her to let me know if she gets it approved with three of the categories ticked, but meanwhile we are debating whether we have to drill holes for an awning rail, before we start the lining and insulation process. We're in two minds about the awning since our Transit has a high roof - not the Highest roof, it's H2, but high enough to walk around in and we are munchkins so we'd struggle to attach an awning to a rail without taking ladders. Has anyone else yet got Motorhome status despite not having an awning rail?

I've just sent my application in, almost 3 weeks ago. My van is also a H2. I have attached an awning rail as this is a mandatory requirement according to Gov website. Yes it's too high to feed the awning into but not so with the step used for access in / out of the van.
I have also attached motorhome decals, added a further two windows as well as sliding door window down the near side.
The windows were not as a result of the new directives but just through choice. Also a window on o / s.
Internal arrangements are as previously required. Hope this helps and I shall keep you informed of the decision from DVLA.

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
I just bonded our rail on with sika 512, had no problems.

Be interesting to see if the DVLA have relaxed the rules any.

Watching with interest as rules change came in before we sold ours so didn't send off. But can let new owner know if they start accepting them again.

Oct 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit selfbui
Exp
Latest from the person I made contact with on the dog Agility forum, she ticked three of the 'external features' the DVLA wants to see, under the impression that not all were required. Her registration has just come back as 'van with side windows'. She had an awning rail but she had not ticked High Top roof and was obviously lacking one of the other features as well. I reckon H2 is a 'high top roof' since it is not just standard van height and even with insulation and roof lights/fan, we can easily stand up in ours. We shall wait to see if anyone else gets an H2 roof conversion passed, with all the other External features present.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Not guaranteed to be approved even if all the requirements are fullfilled.

Apr 8, 2016
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
PVC conversion
Exp
30+ years
Any further developments on the 'awning bar' debate please? I've completed my conversion, including graphics, windows, all internal fittings as indicated by DVLA. Only thing not done is the 'awning bar' as a full blown wind out awning is one step too far into the hugely depleted funds at present, so keen to hear if anybody has succeeded with an awning rail (be it screwed on, stuck on or magnetic variety)?TIA

Deleted User
Any further developments on the 'awning bar' debate please? I've completed my conversion, including graphics, windows, all internal fittings as indicated by DVLA. Only thing not done is the 'awning bar' as a full blown wind out awning is one step too far into the hugely depleted funds at present, so keen to hear if anybody has succeeded with an awning rail (be it screwed on, stuck on or magnetic variety)?TIA
I wouldn't be concerned if your van is re-classified as a van with windows rather than a motor caravan. If it is converted as per DVLA guidelines apart from the awning bar then it can still be used as a motor caravan and have the benefit of motor caravan speed limits etc.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If it was me I'd fit an awning rail with decent d/s tape then photograph the van with either a borrowed sunshade or awning in use.

Apr 8, 2016
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
PVC conversion
Exp
30+ years
Thanks both for your replies. Good idea about being photographed with awning/ shade in place.

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
When you think awning bar, you likely think of a bulkier Fiamma -style pull out awning. However, you could consider a single rail attachment where a tarpaulin can be run in as and when you decide you want to make use of an awning.

Oct 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit selfbui
Exp
Someone had checked with the DVLA on another thread and been told an awning rail was sufficient. But I agree, I'd show it in photos with the awning. Do everything possible to make it look like a mobile home rather than a converted van. We ideally would like a vinyl wrap rather than just swooshy graphics as we just don;t want ours to look like the transit it is, but I'm struggling to find any firms open, still. Can't even get a quote locally.

Apr 8, 2016
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
PVC conversion
Exp
30+ years
Thanks folks. We've got a driveaway awning that is a pain to reach up to attach to an awning rail, hence it will only be a temporary arrangement until we can afford the wind out awning. Will pitch it and attach to a rail in the hope DVLA accept this. Thanks again for advice.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back