Updated Conversion Regs From 21 October 19. Graphics And Awning Now Required (1 Viewer)

Bertie Van

Free Member
Oct 19, 2019
Paisley, Renfrewshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Aug 4, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2003
I can help with graphics if need be, my self build was built by "cscampers"

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Graphics ? Oh Please!

And why an awning rail on both sides? Professional MH builders do it on one side or the other according to hab door position.

No pop-tops. Are they going to re-register existing ones?

DVLA out of touch methinks.

Geoff
I believe that the word “either “ in the text means one side or the other .

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Given that not all commercially produced motorho mes have an awning how can this be?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
its only a guide really.
good pics and sensible graphics have always worked.
ideally have motorhome or camper as part of the graphics .
i know lots mates that have got through ok. but some didnt because theirs looked like a van with windows .
bullshit baffles brains every time.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
So does that mean an end to VW T5 conversions using a pop top?

Does fitting windows in your rear doors count as 2 windows on main body?

Graphics and awning companies will be making a killing.

Follow the following link for the latest updated checklist:-

More useless box ticking!
The checklist asks for 'a combination of the following features'. It doesn't appear to require all of them, only sufficient for the vehicle to be obviously a motor caravan to other road users (more specifically, to the police, one imagines).

My Globecar Campscout doesn't have a visible awning rail, for example, but I did get waved at yesterday by the driver of a small elderly, but nevertheless, 'proper' coachbuilt motorhome. Doesn't happen often, I must admit, but then it's not white. :giggle:

You can see the logic of excluding 'pop-tops' from the list. To the untrained eye, they are not readily evident, so are of little help in identifying a motor caravan as such to passing traffic. A few hippy flowers stuck down the side of an old VW Transporter would be much more of a visible clue.

The idea of allowing discretion into the Swansea decision making process strikes me as fraught with all sorts of difficulties! :RollEyes::whistle2:

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Graphics are quite cheap, the last ones that I put were around £30 so no excuse for not putting them on unless you don’t want it to look like a camper, in that case it’s a van with windows.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
its only a guide really.
good pics and sensible graphics have always worked.
ideally have motorhome or camper as part of the graphics .
i know lots mates that have got through ok. but some didnt because theirs looked like a van with windows .
bullshit baffles brains every time.
They maybe did in the past Alan, but this is dated 21st Oct 2019.
They even have a list of what body type's on the V5 before asking for the change and if it ain't on the list it doesn't get changed.... Ever.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
They maybe did in the past Alan, but this is dated 21st Oct 2019.
They even have a list of what body type's on the V5 before asking for the change and if it ain't on the list it doesn't get changed.... Ever.
yes but its still only a guide really. with the right graphics and pics it will still be easy.
after all just make sure you have it all correct.

Deleted User
I've looked..but I can't find that bit
From the DVLA guidance
This list describes the external features which are commonly seen in motor caravans, and it is intended to provide guidance on what DVLA expects to see when considering your application:

I take this to mean not everything is required.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
The checklist asks for 'a combination of the following features'.
I've looked..but I can't find that bit
Have another read of the checklist. It's under the heading 'Permanent external features'. It seems fairly clear that they only expect sufficient boxes to be ticked to demonstrate that the vehicle looks like a motor caravan. The checklist is then backed up by the photos you provide.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
From the DVLA guidance
This list describes the external features which are commonly seen in motor caravans, and it is intended to provide guidance on what DVLA expects to see when considering your application:

I take this to mean not everything is required.
You could also look at it as.....intended to provide guidance on what DVLA expects to see

I take this as meaning exactly what it says.... We expect to see these items.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Have another read of the checklist. It's under the heading 'Permanent external features'. It seems fairly clear that they only expect sufficient boxes to be ticked to demonstrate that the vehicle looks like a motor caravan. The checklist is then backed up by the photos you provide.
Still can't agree.

• 2 or more windows on at least one side of the main body (this does not include windows on the driver or passenger doors) to provide a reasonable amount of daylight into the living accommodation
  • MUST HAVE WINDOWS IN REAR BODY
  • a separate door which provides access to the living accommodation of the vehicle (this excludes the driver and passenger doors); a window on this door counts as a separate window on the main body
  • MUST HAVE A 3RD DOOR
  • motor caravan-style graphics on both sides of the vehicle
  • MUST HAVE GRAPHICS OR IT COULD BE A VAN WITH WINDOWS
  • an awning bar attached to either side of the vehicle
  • a high-top roof (this does not include a pop-top elevating roof)
  • MUST HAVE A WALKING HEIGHT ROOF
This only leaves the awning rail as an option.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Some A Class motorhomes and a lot of RVs only have one door, however its pretty obvious these are motorhomes.
Some professional conversions with tinted flush windows can look like a plain van if they're black.

Deleted User
The DVLA is giving guidance on what they expect the exterior to look like but not saying must have which suggests some leeway and that an awning rail may not be necessary if the vehicle in all other respects looks like a motor caravan

The DVLA then add the following statement which does say must have all the features fitted

For a vehicle to be recognised as being converted to a motor caravan it must meet all 4 categories shown below. For DVLA to change the body type, the vehicle must have the external permanent features described in the DVLA guidance for converting a vehicle into a motor caravan.

So what exactly does the DVLA require for external appearance !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back