Update Windows 10 now. (1 Viewer)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Your not the only one to have issues with printers on win10.

Strangely my DIL always wanted one, when she got it, she was very disappointed with the performance and has now got a New Laptop P-C.
Of course she was disappointed, but many are not, its why Apple are one of the richest companies in the world and challenged what was the market leader ;). Having worked on many machines since the late 70's (code, command line then GUI's / Windows) from ICL, IBM, HP, Compact and others I have forgotten the names of, running many variants of windows and Linuxy type machines OS and IOS have been amongst the most stable reliable and least problematic. If I need a machine I can fiddle with I will go and buy one I just want one that works (including printers) eg Fire up and work for me, one of the things about an old mac is even if it struggles with something it keeps chugging away until the task is done it doesn't tend to crash.

But having said the above you pay your money and you take your choice.

Reactions: SMB

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Of course she was disappointed, but many are not, its why Apple are one of the richest companies in the world and challenged what was the market leader ;). Having worked on many machines since the late 70's (code, command line then GUI's / Windows) from ICL, IBM, HP, Compact and others I have forgotten the names of, running many variants of windows and Linuxy type machines OS and IOS have been amongst the most stable reliable and least problematic. If I need a machine I can fiddle with I will go and buy one I just want one that works (including printers) eg Fire up and work for me, one of the things about an old mac is even if it struggles with something it keeps chugging away until the task is done it doesn't tend to crash.

But having said the above you pay your money and you take your choice.
I supose it`s a bit like those who Buy the latest I-phone. and love it. But at £700plus I could not justify the cost when I had a Motorola, which did 99% the same things for 1/5th the price?. Both my wife and I have I-pads. but never the latest, and really only as it`s the best way to keep in touch with the kids and grandkids in the USA.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I supose it`s a bit like those who Buy the latest I-phone. and love it. But at £700plus I could not justify the cost when I had a Motorola, which did 99% the same things for 1/5th the price?. Both my wife and I have I-pads. but never the latest, and really only as it`s the best way to keep in touch with the kids and grandkids in the USA.
indeed, as you say pay your money and take your choice, for me my MacBook Pro is not cheap, had my last one stollen in a burglary but the time machine had everything backed up when I replaced it and performed a restore everything was back in place, and I mean everything exactly how it was (including MS Office). Which meant I could carry on with business straight away, no re-building of anything.

Typically the Mac's will last 8-10 years compare that to 3 -5 for my MS machines and the work one replaced every 3. Taking my iPhone to the store tomorrow to have the ringer switch fixed and battery replaced the phone has a hard life and in a ruggedised holder which maybe why the ringer switch broke so it will be interesting to see the cost of repair

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I use version 2006, which has a programme with all the CC and CCC sites/C-L and C-S`s on it. As you say it`s still a great planning programme. I will be gutted when it gets to the point where all the updates preclude it from working. More and more "legacy" programmes will now no longer work with 10.

Overall I swear Win10 is no Better that Win8. I loved 7, It does at least talk to all the other stuff in the house. Win 10 wants to do it all in the "cloud". which I don`t trust one little bit. Why be held to ransom on some server in god knows where, when I have a perfectly good, serviceable system in my Home?.
That sounds great for planning routes though I use autoroute mainly for creating maps such as recommended places, hiking campsites etc. I can import and export poi's as well which is very handy, I recently added all the places I've visited to google maps. There's probably even more stuff I could do with it but where do you stop :unsure:. I do use Polarsteps as well which is excellent and you can share your travels and also download your data onto a pc.
I actually like Windows 10, I've been upgrading my pc since Windows 7 and I like it though that may be due to the new HDD and fresh OS install!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
indeed, as you say pay your money and take your choice, for me my MacBook Pro is not cheap, had my last one stollen in a burglary but the time machine had everything backed up when I replaced it and performed a restore everything was back in place, and I mean everything exactly how it was (including MS Office). Which meant I could carry on with business straight away, no re-building of anything.

Typically the Mac's will last 8-10 years compare that to 3 -5 for my MS machines and the work one replaced every 3. Taking my iPhone to the store tomorrow to have the ringer switch fixed and battery replaced the phone has a hard life and in a ruggedised holder which maybe why the ringer switch broke so it will be interesting to see the cost of repair
I still have a working Toshiba Laptop, Bought 2004 in Las Vegas. It runs Only on XP.! but is in use as a monitor for the Security cams!. But then, We also have a Tumble drier working, which was bought in 1971 or 2!. (I like stuff wot lasts!. and as you see from the avtar, I come from Gods country!!). :rofl:

Reactions: SMB

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I still have a working Toshiba Laptop, Bought 2004 in Las Vegas. It runs Only on XP.! but is in use as a monitor for the Security cams!. But then, We also have a Tumble drier working, which was bought in 1971 or 2!. (I like stuff wot lasts!. and as you see from the avtar, I come from Gods country!!). :rofl:
Yup I have a car that was designed in 1957 and tools that where purchased back in the 1950's its not just Yorkshire boys that have short arms and long pockets, its just we try not to mention it down here in Essex, sort of makes us look like tight wads and don't wish to blow the Lodsa money image, Essex Guys and Girls do not speak or act like TOWIE, its a softer more rural accent ;)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Yup I have a car that was designed in 1957 and tools that where purchased back in the 1950's its not just Yorkshire boys that have short arms and long pockets, its just we try not to mention it down here in Essex, sort of makes us look like tight wads and don't wish to blow the Lodsa money image, Essex Guys and Girls do not speak or act like TOWIE, its a softer more rural accent ;)
I`m currently 5 years into a resto, of a a 1971 Triumph Herald convertible.!. Best bit when finished it will only cost me Fuel and Insurance! :giggle: and like yourself many of my tools are from the dark ages, including a 1943 Drummond Lathe. In fact I am sure some of the Shipwright tools inherited from My Father and Grandfather, where used on Noah`s Ark!.:rofl:

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Overall I swear Win10 is no Better that Win8. I loved 7, It does at least talk to all the other stuff in the house. Win 10 wants to do it all in the "cloud". which I don`t trust one little bit. Why be held to ransom on some server in god knows where, when I have a perfectly good, serviceable system in my Home?.
By default Windows 10 will use OneDrive for some cloud storage.
You have the option to adopt it fully, partially or to unlink it.

I’m in the partial usage camp as my cloud storage has things like e-tickets & manuals for devices I can use offsite away from the home PC that I can get at from a tablet, etc.

Microsoft’s guide to unlink their cloud here

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Going back to my first post. I guess it is time to try an update again. But last time it was grinding away for over 10 hrs and then would not complete. just sat there at around 74%.

What is it about Techies and Tech Co`s that they don`t understand the "if it works why fix it" phrase?.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Going back to my first post. I guess it is time to try an update again. But last time it was grinding away for over 10 hrs and then would not complete. just sat there at around 74%.
Had to stop myself typing Buy a xxx ;) good luck with the upgrade I do hope it goes well, I suspect it will work at some point.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I`m currently 5 years into a resto, of a a 1971 Triumph Herald convertible.!. Best bit when finished it will only cost me Fuel and Insurance! :giggle: and like yourself many of my tools are from the dark ages, including a 1943 Drummond Lathe. In fact I am sure some of the Shipwright tools inherited from My Father and Grandfather, where used on Noah`s Ark!.:rofl:
Sounds like a great project, and tools tend to last more than a lifetime if looked after as you say, maybe the youngsters (ER Greta et al) would find some comfort in that not all the older generation just chuck stuff away and do care bout the stuff they have.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Wish me luck. or maybe better still the old "break a leg". :rofl:
You have age and wisdom on your side so you don't need luck........oh and breaking a leg hmm the upgrade will be done far quicker than a broke bone to mend ;)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years

I had a Herald around 1969 very easy to work on the engine with the bonnet lifted and the turning circle was magic, if the parking space was a foot longer than the car you could get it in. Bad points were the front nylon suspension bushes wore out regularly and the rear tucked under if corned hard, bit scary that.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
rear tucked under if corned hard, bit scary that.
Yup. Bag of sand in the boot helped there. (y) That was SWMBO`s Vitesse of 25+years ago. Was also the reason for the later Suspension Mod`s. BTW. you can now get full C-V jointed rear drive kits for them too. Took my test in one, Courtesy of the "British School of Motoring". Taken over by the RAC and long lost I understand?.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Sounds like a great project, and tools tend to last more than a lifetime if looked after as you say, maybe the youngsters (ER Greta et al) would find some comfort in that not all the older generation just chuck stuff away and do care bout the stuff they have.
You are so right. They forget we where the generation of Paper bags, and "proper" shopping bags. Goods packaged by the shops in packaging that could even be re-used. The Co-op would refill a blue sugar bag if you took it back to them. Brown paper and string?. We made kites out of sticks and brown paper. The list is endless.

Oh!. and not to forget the "Funster" obsession:- The re-use of the Daily newspaper in the "smallest room". Or in our case the one outside across the yard!. "Softest" was for wimps!.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
You are so right. They forget we where the generation of Paper bags, and "proper" shopping bags. Goods packaged by the shops in packaging that could even be re-used. The Co-op would refill a blue sugar bag if you took it back to them. Brown paper and string?. We made kites out of sticks and brown paper. The list is endless.

Oh!. and not to forget the "Funster" obsession:- The re-use of the Daily newspaper in the "smallest room". Or in our case the one outside across the yard!. "Softest" was for wimps!.
Maybe we should all share these tips with the youngsters it’s really not the fault of the older generation who ‘know how to” survive

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Maybe we should all share these tips with the youngsters it’s really not the fault of the older generation who ‘know how to” survive
I get "oh, grandad" coz' I tell them " I was a war baby". When they are on about how hard stuff is?. They even bombed me granny the night after I was born. Caught the eldest muttering about pity they bloody missed once!. Changed his tune when I pointed out he would never have existed!, :rofl:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I get "oh, grandad" coz' I tell them " I was a war baby". When they are on about how hard stuff is?. They even bombed me granny the night after I was born. Caught the eldest muttering about pity they bloody missed once!. Changed his tune when I pointed out he would never have existed!, :rofl:
Im not a war baby, my Grandfather lays in rest at the bottom of the Med as he was a Stoker and once his ship was hit there was no way out from the bottom of the boat, my Grandmother was killed by a shockwave as she sat in a air raid shelter my mother was on the other side of the shelter and saw her fall, its no wonder that generation in the main wanted peace and unity within Europe. The austerity of war helped with mend and make do. Your right paper bags and all the sustainable tools and goods we have and still use are part of what the youngsters and many others are asking for. I think they have seen the light, rather than having corporates and thier marketing machines wanting more and more growth through consumerism. True consumerism would be you buy an item use repair and recycle and only dispose of it when it has no further function.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Im not a war baby, my Grandfather lays in rest at the bottom of the Med as he was a Stoker and once his ship was hit there was no way out from the bottom of the boat, my Grandmother was killed by a shockwave as she sat in a air raid shelter my mother was on the other side of the shelter and saw her fall, its no wonder that generation in the main wanted peace and unity within Europe. The austerity of war helped with mend and make do. Your right paper bags and all the sustainable tools and goods we have and still use are part of what the youngsters and many others are asking for. I think they have seen the light, rather than having corporates and thier marketing machines wanting more and more growth through consumerism. True consumerism would be you buy an item use repair and recycle and only dispose of it when it has no further function.
Have you been to the Memorial Arboretum?. At the M-N memorial, There is a stand of maturing trees, each one represents a Merchant ship lost. There are 2535 trees. and a loss of over 40.000 personnel.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back