Update Windows 10 now. (1 Viewer)

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
wow, hang on.
Elsewhere I'm reading NOT to upgrade to the new 2020 because of the problems it has caused.

Deleted User
I have also been advised by my techy guru not to update at the moment due to issues with current update.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Read the article. I presume on windows 10 you can install security patches without upgrading?

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Now that I have read it, it would appear to affect other earlier versions as well, including my 1909.
Thanks for the heads-up.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
There is a difference between the security updates and Feature Updates (effectively the old service packs, and now effectively a newer version of Windows 10). Windows should automagically detect security updates and prompt to install any suited to your version, unless somehow you've disabled that.

Looks like some of those security flaws do affect multiple versions.

NorthernSands

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
North Notts
Funster No
MH
Hymer E700
Exp
Since 2016
'Feature' updates are the ones that usually cause the problems. On Corp networks I normally force all clients on to the Business update stream, which holds off feature updates longer, to avoid the many problems that have occured. Security updates are installed relatively normally.

Home users can simulate this by going to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Advanced Options. In there you can manually defer feature updates (and security ones).

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I would just point out I am not a windows user. But I do security consultancy for quite a few clients. Some of these clients disable windows updates to prevent it rebooting during the working day or causing massive delays in reboot/bootups/shutdowns.

I am on numerous security lists and when I see something like this I let those clients know.

However, as I am not a Windows or Microsoft user I can't test these out myself.

This is part of the reason I love linux so much. I get a little exclamation mark in the bottom of my notifications bar. I click on this, enter my password and click install. I then carry on with my day and the computer updates in the background. It NEVER asks me to reboot. It never forces a reboot. It never sits for ages on power down or power up saying installing updates followed by more reboots. This updates process not only covers the core OS but EVERY application I have installed. On windows there used to be some days where I would have to reboot twice and then when I finally got in and loaded an app it would say "Needs an update" and Then I would have to wait for that.

Just noticed an update notification and this is what it looks like. As you can see it is updating various system tools curl and networking. The graphics drivers are getting an update. The core OS Kernel and even the application google chrome.
I clicked the "Install updates" button and minimised it. I won't look at that again until tomorrow. It won't slow my system down or require any reboots.

1593612234022.png

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We had a Win 10 update a couple of weeks ago, since then I cannot get the 3 in 1 to print any docs!
The Printer works OK, it scans, photo copies, and even prints a test page using the menu buttons on the front panel. But, when we send over a doc to print, the data light flashes on the printer panel to say its receiving data, but then nothing prints, and it goes into sleep mode.
I understand its been a problem with many printers, and the instructions from Microsoft.Com is to completely uninstall the printer drivers, re-boot the PC, re-install the printer drivers, and then select the printer under print devices, and all should work!
Well having done this task 3 times, I still cannot get the printer to print!, it will scan and send data to the PC, which proves the network is set up OK, but will not print:banghead:
Any ideas chaps?
I am bracing myself to have another attempt tonight, as we are buggered without a printer, especially having to e-mail docs to people and asking them to print out for us.
Many thanks for any help, cant see what I have missed on anything setup wise.
LES

Jan 5, 2014
tetbury
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Expedition
Exp
Long time
And I have just finished a PC rebuild /update with windows 10(why?!!). The updates took hours. Next stage is to dual boot with Linux! Hopefully that should be pretty straightforward and relatively quick!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We had a Win 10 update a couple of weeks ago, since then I cannot get the 3 in 1 to print any docs!
The Printer works OK, it scans, photo copies, and even prints a test page using the menu buttons on the front panel. But, when we send over a doc to print, the data light flashes on the printer panel to say its receiving data, but then nothing prints, and it goes into sleep mode.
I understand its been a problem with many printers, and the instructions from Microsoft.Com is to completely uninstall the printer drivers, re-boot the PC, re-install the printer drivers, and then select the printer under print devices, and all should work!
Well having done this task 3 times, I still cannot get the printer to print!, it will scan and send data to the PC, which proves the network is set up OK, but will not print:banghead:
Any ideas chaps?
I am bracing myself to have another attempt tonight, as we are buggered without a printer, especially having to e-mail docs to people and asking them to print out for us.
Many thanks for any help, cant see what I have missed on anything setup wise.
LES
Have a look at this to see if it solves your problem.

NorthernSands

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
North Notts
Funster No
MH
Hymer E700
Exp
Since 2016
And I have just finished a PC rebuild /update with windows 10(why?!!). The updates took hours. Next stage is to dual boot with Linux! Hopefully that should be pretty straightforward and relatively quick!
Depends which distrobution of Linux. I use Gentoo which can take days to compile.... :ROFLMAO:

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
My mini PC that I have on.my main tv, attempted to update automaticly failed due to no space on the hard drive (solid state) I connected a spare external hard drive and it completed the upgrade. I have rebooted it but not tested it yet. Will try my main computer in a bit

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I have just done the other computer, no problem and they both work, as does the printer

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I'm missing out here.

I've used Windows 10 ever since it became available, got all the updates as they come out and never had a problem. I've upgraded my laptop and even an old desktop and a netbook that were running on XP! All machines experienced a new lease of life, faster as well (although the addition of an SSD didn't half make a difference).

What am I doing right? Surely I can't be the only one?

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Depends which distrobution of Linux. I use Gentoo which can take days to compile.... :ROFLMAO:
I always thought the Gentoo lot were a bit like the BDSM lot :p it is only one step up from "Linux from Scratch"...

The furthest down the line I will go with that type of install is Arch Linux. But that was only to see how fast I could get the boot time down and how little memory I could get it to run with.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I'm missing out here.

I've used Windows 10 ever since it became available, got all the updates as they come out and never had a problem. I've upgraded my laptop and even an old desktop and a netbook that were running on XP! All machines experienced a new lease of life, faster as well (although the addition of an SSD didn't half make a difference).

Patience of a saint perhaps?

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Home users can simulate this by going to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Advanced Options. In there you can manually defer feature updates (and security ones).

I just tried that and Microsoft gave me everything anyway. That is probably their idea of Customer Participation :LOL: Maybe I did something wrong. They did not offer me version 2004 but I would not worry about that personally as I have a second computer on which I did a clean install of Windows 10 a couple of weeks ago and I was given version 2004 in the download. Both my Windows computers seem to be behaving reasonably well at present. I am still adapting to the 'upgrade' from Windows 7 :rolleyes:

Deleted User
I'm missing out here.

Likewise, I have never had a problem with Windows 10 and downloads have been okay but I have been warned to delay the download of the latest upgrade because of some problems that have been reported by some users.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Can I kick Start this again. Has any of the issues been solved? I got to 70% of upgrade. and it sat there for over 10 hrs (overnight)?.

Currently gone back to Win7, which I still have on dual boot.

Deleted User
I had an update a couple of days okay. It only took minutes to update but 'Bing' had tried to take over my laptop. I normally use Chrome as my default browser but it was changed to Bing. I then went into settings and changed it to use Chrome but it was still defaulting to Bing. I had two links to Google Chrome on laptop but the links had been change so that when i clicked on them they also went to Bing. By deleting all the Chrome links and then downloading Chrome again I eventually manged to get rid of Bing.
It is not unusual for an update to change default browser to Bing but never had so much trouble trying to get back to Chrome.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Can I kick Start this again. Has any of the issues been solved? I got to 70% of upgrade. and it sat there for over 10 hrs (overnight)?.

Currently gone back to Win7, which I still have on dual boot.
I updated both a desktop and laptop to Win10 Pro v2004 (the latest) over the last week or so. Both took a considerable period of time (90-120 mins?) but worked. Havn't come across any issues so far.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I had an update a couple of days okay. It only took minutes to update but 'Bing' had tried to take over my laptop. I normally use Chrome as my default browser but it was changed to Bing. I then went into settings and changed it to use Chrome but it was still defaulting to Bing. I had two links to Google Chrome on laptop but the links had been change so that when i clicked on them they also went to Bing. By deleting all the Chrome links and then downloading Chrome again I eventually manged to get rid of Bing.
It is not unusual for an update to change default browser to Bing but never had so much trouble trying to get back to Chrome.
Bing is a search engine. You must mean Edge.
But that aside, are you using the ā€œdefault programsā€/ā€œdefault appsā€ part of Control Panel to choose your preferences?

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I updated my trusty old 10 year old Acer Aspire laptop with the Windows 10 security update around about the time of the OP, it screwed up the OS and wouldn't fully start up. Eventually bought a recovery disc, reinstalled windows 10 and all was good. Then the hard drive packed in a few weeks ago, bought an identical refurbished HDD for Ā£11 from ebay and, with a new Windows 10 install the pc was now very fast with lots of junk removed and only essential programs reinstalled. Then the battery packed in! Ordered a replacement generic battery from a Spanish website with increased capacity of over 30% which is brilliant, I'm now getting around 8 hours plus on a single charge. Couldn't justify buying a new laptop for what it's used. Still get nervous when updating it though!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I updated my trusty old 10 year old Acer Aspire laptop with the Windows 10 security update around about the time of the OP, it screwed up the OS and wouldn't fully start up. Eventually bought a recovery disc, reinstalled windows 10 and all was good. Then the hard drive packed in a few weeks ago, bought an identical refurbished HDD for Ā£11 from ebay and, with a new Windows 10 install the pc was now very fast with lots of junk removed and only essential programs reinstalled. Then the battery packed in! Ordered a replacement generic battery from a Spanish website with increased capacity of over 30% which is brilliant, I'm now getting around 8 hours plus on a single charge. Couldn't justify buying a new laptop for what it's used. Still get nervous when updating it though!
You will have to update soon, LPG is getting in short supply

Reactions: SMB

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Buy a Mac, never had an issue with updating that I had with Windows.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I've got a Mac air which I bought new in 2012, this is also still going strong and is a great bit of kit though I only bought it to create apps when I retired (I still haven't got around to it). Only had one problem updating it in 8 years and a system restore sorted it. However I use the Windows laptop mainly as I still map my travels on Autoroute 2013, old habits die hard.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I updated to windows 10, now my Lexmark printer doesnt work šŸ˜©
Your not the only one to have issues with printers on win10.
Strangely my DIL always wanted one, when she got it, she was very disappointed with the performance and has now got a New Laptop P-C.
I've got a Mac air which I bought new in 2012, this is also still going strong and is a great bit of kit though I only bought it to create apps when I retired (I still haven't got around to it). Only had one problem updating it in 8 years and a system restore sorted it. However I use the Windows laptop mainly as I still map my travels on Autoroute 2013, old habits die hard.
I use version 2006, which has a programme with all the CC and CCC sites/C-L and C-S`s on it. As you say it`s still a great planning programme. I will be gutted when it gets to the point where all the updates preclude it from working. More and more "legacy" programmes will now no longer work with 10.

Overall I swear Win10 is no Better that Win8. I loved 7, It does at least talk to all the other stuff in the house. Win 10 wants to do it all in the "cloud". which I don`t trust one little bit. Why be held to ransom on some server in god knows where, when I have a perfectly good, serviceable system in my Home?.

Reactions: SMB

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back