Rally Chat Update on possible Rally in Dumfries (1 Viewer)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
@REKERLY , @milliethehymer , @CWH , @andy63 , @irnbru , @ambulancekidd , @hoot007 , @Al-Di ,
@DavidG58 , @funflair , @Debs , @Puddleduck , @Neilfg , @old-mo , @Badknee , @IanF , @Ralph-n-Bev , @Langtoftlad , @tick59 , @Brendan , @garjanco , @Ambilkate , @Cal54 , @Jenben , @Stewart J , @Hils and Glenns , @Barney23 , @berni109 , @davejen , @Graham and Jane ,

I have spoken to a few places and most have given me positive feedback but one place has been very positive and seem really up for allowing us to hold a rally there.

The place is Dumfries Aviation Museum which sits less than 3 miles from the town center, for those who don't know Dumfries had an RAF Airfield during WW2 Old-Mo might have been here then :). The museum is run by volunteers and is a registered charity, they have a flat solid field that will hold between 40 and 60 vans (will do a final measurement) we would be within the grounds of the museum which is locked and secure so no worries about night time security and plenty of room for event shelters. (we would have our own key). They have an outside tap so ok for water, they don't have mains sewage just tanks but have said they can hire a spare tank in from W.C. in Fields for the weekend at a cost of £45.

The museum itself is very interesting and they have just completed the rebuild of a Spitfire that has took several years, check out their website http://www.dumfriesaviationmuseum.com/

I paid them a visit today to see what they thought as they had discussed it at their monthly meeting last week, they all seemed to be happy with this and 99% sure they will house us they just have a few wee things to sort out and will get back to me with confirmation soon.

I personally think the place would be idea as it's in the middle of Heathhall forest so great for walking the dogs, its about 5 min walk to nearest bus stop that runs roughly every 20mins to town and takes about 10mins. If you fancy walking or cycling to town that wont be a problem as the cycle path starts about 1/2 a mile from the museum and takes you road free to town, if thats to energetic then a rough guess a taxi for 4 would cost about £5, about 10 mins easy walk you have a Nisa and 20 mins a Tesco express.

All the activities for Guid Nychburris are held in the town so if people wanted to visit these on the Saturday they would have to get in to town, activities start at 6 am but the main ones start about 10.30 with the parade at night starting around 6pm. It would be easy to go in twice or stay all day and have a beer or a walk round town and visit places of interest like Rabbie Burns house and coliseum.

David is going to call me in the next week or two to confirm and doesn't see any issues popping up.

If you have a look at their website and let me know if you think this would be an ok place so i'm prepared for when he calls back, we would have it from Thursday/Friday to the Monday

If any of you are on Facebook have a look at the Guid Nychburris page https://www.facebook.com/Guid-Nychburris-Association-137180649676354/?hc_ref=SEARCH&fref=nf

Last edited:

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Looks and sounds perfect, and easy to get to.

Looking at the map, I noticed a place just up the road that I'd love to visit, even if it was rubbish just for the name, but it looks fascinating - the Garden of Cosmic Speculation! But actually it looks fascinating. Only open one day a year - 2018 its the 6th May so doesn't fit with this rally but could bookend a tour.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Sounds great @lorger , hope it comes off (y)

Thanks for all the work your putting in to setting the event up

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Looks and sounds perfect, and easy to get to.

Looking at the map, I noticed a place just up the road that I'd love to visit, even if it was rubbish just for the name, but it looks fascinating - the Garden of Cosmic Speculation! But actually it looks fascinating. Only open one day a year - 2018 its the 6th May so doesn't fit with this rally but could bookend a tour.
These are lovely gardens and owned by a local family the Keswick family who donate thousands each year to local youths, I couldn't promise you but I know someone who works for the family trust so I would see what i could do but no promises as their a private family.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Can you add us to the list please

Peter and Angela
Hi Peter once I have confirmation of the location and I will start a list so will gladly put your name on it, just putting this out as a feeler to make sure people are interested before putting to much work in :)

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
sounds really excellent looking forward to it

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Gerry, when do propose having this rally? (apologies if I've missed something in an earlier thread).

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
We were up that way a couple of weeks ago, at Heathhall garden centre (another place to visit nearby) and had a quick drive around the area n not knowing what was there, looks a great venue. Looking forward to the rally.
Cheers, Dave(y)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Sounds very interesting. Count us in. (y)

You will just need to charge an extra £1 or so each to cover the cost of the hired waste tank.

triclops

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2013
Bury
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Born again
We are really interested - what dates are you thinking of?

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Gerry, when do propose having this rally? (apologies if I've missed something in an earlier thread).

We are really interested - what dates are you thinking of?

The dates I'm planning are Friday the 15th of June until Monday the 18th, hoping they will give us access on the Thursday. This rally will be in between the Millport and Kelso rallies so folk could do a wee tour while up here. I will update one i have confirmation.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We were up that way a couple of weeks ago, at Heathhall garden centre (another place to visit nearby) and had a quick drive around the area n not knowing what was there, looks a great venue. Looking forward to the rally.
Cheers, Dave(y)

Forgot about the Garden Center which has a nice cafe.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Sounds very interesting. Count us in. (y)

You will just need to charge an extra £1 or so each to cover the cost of the hired waste tank.
Sandra once they have got back to me with price and confirmation I will include all expenses in the price.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
The dates I'm planning are Friday the 15th of June until Monday the 18th, hoping they will give us access on the Thursday. This rally will be in between the Millport and Kelso rallies so folk could do a wee tour while up here. I will update one i have confirmation.
These dates will be spot on if you can get them. (y)

Oct 22, 2012
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T590
Exp
Hi, well done defiantly looking forward to this event. Rex & Cherry

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Sorry, just catching up, yes please & cosmic garden if poss pretty please

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Can we be pencilled in also please, we can then visit long distance family either side, which will be a surprise for all concerned, as they dont know we have a new Moho yet!
Good luck with formalising this event, and many thanks for the huge effort involved.
TinaL & Les

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Sorry missed this before but we are still interested :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back