Up-plating from 3500kgs to 3850kgs - advice please? (1 Viewer)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I know weight and payload has been discussed in detail recently, and very informative it was too, so thanks to all who contributed.

In the light of this discussion I'm considering up-plating our new MH from the 3500kgs stated on the V5c to the 3850kgs that can be calculated by adding the two axle weights together (1850 front, 2000 rear), as given in the manufacturer's brochure and on their vehicle conversion plate by the cab door.

Why? Like most I'm going to need more flexibility with the maximum payload and would like to stay legal. Could the two of us manage on its existing 395kgs? Just about, but we might want to carry more than two adults from time to time, so some extra would be handy.

I'll be approaching SVTech asap, as they're fairly local to us, but I'm keen to know the following from anyone who's already gone through this up-plating process:

1. Is it likely to be just a paper exercise given that the vehicle was built to carry 3850kgs but was downrated to appeal to a wider market (ie drivers without C1 on their license)?

2. If not, what's the most likely physical change needed (ie brakes, suspension) bearing in mind it's a brand new MH, not a conversion, on a Fiat Ducato 130 MJ base.

3. Typically how long does it take to get it sorted? We're hoping to take it abroad before too long.

I'm aware of all the other pros and cons from the earlier thread, and I know what payload will work for our specific needs, so please don't feel the need to start all that up again. :) This is a vehicle we plan to hang on to for a very long time.

Thanks in advance for any responses, as always.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Given what I understand that if your van was down graded it should just be the paper exercise to go back up again....

Hope it does for you so might be cheaper..(y)

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We have literally just gone through this process. Contacted SvTech who were very efficient and helpful. Took about three to four weeks. We had to send a few photos via email. Had to get a weigh ridge certificate too. All in all a very easy, painless exercise.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I could be wrong, but I don't think it'll be a paper exercise if you're taking to the max as stated on the cab plate.

Arewethereyet

Free Member
Apr 21, 2016
Bracknell, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I did our Burstner last year and it is painless, all you do is send a couple of piccies of the existing weight plates to SV Tech they look at them and then say yes it can be done, you send them a cheque or whatever for about £350.00 and they send you a piece of paper and a new weight plate for you to attach somewhere in your van, you then send a copy of the certificate they send you to the DVLA along with your log book and send you a new one with the uprated weight and you then apply for the reduction in the cost of your VED. all took about 2 weeks in total, my only word would be although SV tech are regarded as being the best they are bloody expensive and there is another company out there that will do the same job for about half the price but i cannot remember their name at this moment, if you look around the forums I am sure their are a few people who have used them before.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I will post this again. Just because you uprate to 3850kg do not assume that is what you will be able to carry. Look at the layout of your van especially with regards to the lockers. You will probably have no problem loading the back axle up to 2000kg but will you be able to get 1850kg over the front axle? If you don't have foreward lockers it is very doubtful and if you can't you will be restricted to the 2000 plus whatever you can achieve over the front.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I used SV Texh for my last van and it was just a paper exercise with no need for photos. I think @Minxy Girl did this with someone else recently for less money.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I did our Burstner last year and it is painless, all you do is send a couple of piccies of the existing weight plates to SV Tech they look at them and then say yes it can be done, you send them a cheque or whatever for about £350.00 and they send you a piece of paper and a new weight plate for you to attach somewhere in your van, you then send a copy of the certificate they send you to the DVLA along with your log book and send you a new one with the uprated weight and you then apply for the reduction in the cost of your VED. all took about 2 weeks in total, my only word would be although SV tech are regarded as being the best they are bloody expensive and there is another company out there that will do the same job for about half the price but i cannot remember their name at this moment, if you look around the forums I am sure their are a few people who have used them before.
Does it affect the VED status?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I will post this again. Just because you uprate to 3850kg do not assume that is what you will be able to carry. Look at the layout of your van especially with regards to the lockers. You will probably have no problem loading the back axle up to 2000kg but will you be able to get 1850kg over the front axle? If you don't have foreward lockers it is very doubtful and if you can't you will be restricted to the 2000 plus whatever you can achieve over the front.
Exactly the problem we had, only gained 150kg but it was worth doing for that.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
OP
OP
magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997

That's very useful to know thanks. The plan is to stay as close as possible to the original payload for our normal use, but have any extra as spare capacity for occasional additional passengers, who would be seated close to the front. I don't anticipate needing the full 350kgs extra. We have got forward lockers, and forward storage space if necessary for personal gear. With four adults we probably wouldn't take the two bikes, which would normally be in the boot. The fresh water tank is close to the front and can be juggled with, whilst the waste tank is always emptied before setting off. Swings and roundabouts as they say.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Could you explain the significance of a weighbridge certificate ?

SvTech wanted one. It's easy to do. Cost us £10 to get the certificate which we scanned and in and sent to them along with photos he asked for of the original weight plate. The tyres. The side of the MH.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
That's very useful to know thanks. The plan is to stay as close as possible to the original payload for our normal use, but have any extra as spare capacity for occasional additional passengers, who would be seated close to the front. I don't anticipate needing the full 350kgs extra. We have got forward lockers, and forward storage space if necessary for personal gear. With four adults we probably wouldn't take the two bikes, which would normally be in the boot. The fresh water tank is close to the front and can be juggled with, whilst the waste tank is always emptied before setting off. Swings and roundabouts as they say.
I'm in the process of uprating our 3500KG MH to 3850KG this is being done without the need for any modifications , yes i know most of the extra payload gained will be on the rear axle ,i used the company @Minxy Girl posted about , JR Consultancy

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
If Sv Tech do it when you get your paperwork sorted .Pay the new reduced rate road tax and get a rebate off your previous outlay .I do not recall going to a weigh scale when I did mine it was just a paper exercise just sent off information required and filled form in to Sv Tech instruction .Easy lol

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We needed to uprate the tyres to accept the new loadings, so cost of 5 new tyres. We also were advised to fit air-assist on the rear suspension, which actually was a good move anyway as it helped the ride. Note however that we started with a chassis rated at 3500kg, not a down-rated one.

Used SV Tech, very helpful and provided all the paperwork and instructions. We were fortunate enough to have a local Vehicle Registration office and did everything there, including getting a refund cheque for the road fund licence, in about 15 mins - just had to wait for a new V5 from Swansea which took only a couple of days. Sad to say that office is now closed.

I know people say SV Tech are expensive, but they have spent a lot of time money and effort into getting it right and the DVLA accept their workings without question. I have no experiene or knowledge of any other person/company providing this service so cannot comment.

BenGee

Free Member
Mar 13, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2014
Below....details I posted 2yrs ago.....
Hi, I found it quite straight forward taking a fiat panel van from 3500 to 3850kg by uprating.
Two things extra things I did was: (a) add semi-air suspension to rear (Dunlop - Marcle leisure); (b) I changed 15" steel wheels to 16" alloy wheels with a load rating of 1320kg per wheel - I ensured the alloy wheel (Borbat CWD) had a TUV approved rating and downloaded the certificate evidence. [Ps: Could not get appropriate "approved" evidence on Fiat wheels load rating, which in any event were less kg].

I then when to a weighbridge - weighed unladen (front / rear / both) apart form basic standard equipment then did same with full laden with all adult passengers and full tanks, petrol, water (fresh), and 1/2 waste water (+ awning, clothing etc.etc) - again with weights for (front / rear / both);

Downloaded a VTG10 form - filled it in and attached a letter summarising and attached the following evidence:
1. Photo of existing VIN plate;
2. Photo of Motorhome manufacturer plate;
3. Photocopy of Certificate of conformity - Fiat;
4. Photocopy of Certificate of conformity - Motorhome Manufacturer;
5. Photocopy TUV approval for Borbat CWD alloy wheels;
6. Photocopy of Dunlop Air suspension certificate (engineer fitting certificate);
6. Photo of Vehicle taken from outside (showing existing registration number);
7. Cheque payment - £15.00 !
[NB: as it is a Motorhome - no GVT Test Certificate was required]

In my case - I stated I wanded Max Permissible Mass (MPM) to increase from 3500kg to 3850kg
Front axle (MPM) to remain unchanged at 1850kg;
Rear axle (MPM) to remain unchanged at 200kg;
The "Revenue Weight" (Unladen Mass) as per Registration document was to remain unchanged at 3147kg.

Sent it off to VOSA / DVSA - at Padley road, Swansea - 10 days later received back a "Design Weight Certificate" approved showing 3850kg.

Finally,
Complete V5C Form for change of registration details (I did a covering lettering spelling out pricely what all the current relevant section figures were that involved amending together with their new values on completion of uprating) - was sent to DVLA together with a V85 - Application for PHGV vehicle tax (which if I remember was £165 instead of £225).

7-days later - received revised new Registration document.

Last thing I did was contact tag-plates and sent then a photo of existing Vin plates (Fiat) and Motorhome Plate/sticker; and then got them to sent me a "metallic sticker" along the lines of the Motorhome plate one but with the different figures. - Stuck it next to the Motorhome one.

Job Done!!

Good Luck.
BenGee

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back