Free Member
Jan 18, 2015
Eastleigh Hants
Funster No
MH
Autotrail tracker
Exp
Just going through the process of the above to give more carrying capacity,
One thing I can’t understand is I have been told by the company which will send me my plate to change my rear tyres from 215/70/15 load rated at 1120 kg to 225/70/15 load rated at 1120 kg how would the 10mm wider tyre with the same load rating allow me to put an extra 240 kg on the rear axel ? I have also fitted air assist which that alone will give the maximum increase from 3500kg to 3850kg but will not increase the load capability on the rear axel
Would appreciate your thoughts

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Just a thought here guys
Just going through the process of the above to give more carrying capacity,
One thing I can’t understand is I have been told by the company which will send me my plate to change my rear tyres from 215/70/15 load rated at 1120 kg to 225/70/15 load rated at 1120 kg how would the 10mm wider tyre with the same load rating allow me to put an extra 240 kg on the rear axel ? I have also fitted air assist which that alone will give the maximum increase from 3500kg to 3850kg but will not increase the load capability on the rear axel
Would appreciate your thoughts
Just a thought guys....The wider the track...the more load you can hold! The reason for this is due to the weight being spread across the tyre in touch with the ground.
Example 1 ...Low ground pressure tracks on a tractor ..will allow the tractor to sit on sand with a 40% water content to look as if it is floating.
Example 2 ...Standard tracks on the same tractor ...will sink!
It all comes down to tyre spread in the case of the truck. The wider the tyres the greater the load bearing rate.

Kev

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
We've just had air assist fitted (Alko) and changed to 225/70 R15 112 index tyres, now being able to uprate to 2240kg on the rear axle and go to 3850 kg overall, though the best thing about it is the improvement is the ride quality. We fitted Continentals because they help you with the correct tyre pressures, unlike Michelin who just advise pump them up hard, and we now have 4 bar rear and 3.25 bar front instead of 5.5 rear and 4.5 front, the improvement is great.

OP
OP
R

Robboshome

Free Member
Jan 18, 2015
Eastleigh Hants
Funster No
MH
Autotrail tracker
Exp
Hi Hetties crew
Have you replayed yet, if so who are you using?

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
@Robboshome - changing load rating 109 tyres for 112 makes sense. I think you are doing the same as we had to do a couple of years ago to take our Apache 634 from 3650 to 3850. At the time I only replaced the 2 rear tyres and kept my fingers crossed that I wouldn't get a puncture. This worked out fine and I have just replaced the 2 front tyres and the spare so that I now have a set of 5 matching tyres again. Have a look at the Kwikfit website and also Blackcircles. Last time Blackcircles had the best deal but this time it was Kwikfit.

OP
OP
R

Robboshome

Free Member
Jan 18, 2015
Eastleigh Hants
Funster No
MH
Autotrail tracker
Exp
Yep tend to agree not that I have contacted JRConsultancy but the guy I spoke to at SVTech could not have been more helpful

Reactions: f6c
May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Dear Bill-or
I was thinking of getting my 634U up graded weight wise.
Would you mind telling me what your upgrade consists of please
It would be appreciated
The only extras I carry at the moment are bikes and SWMBO

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
@pelican - mine is a 2012 Apache. I had to add air suspension and replace rear tyres with 112 load rating. I bought the air suspension kit from Marcle Leisure and fitted it myself - it's a straightforward job for a DIY-er. I suggest you contact SVTech and send them their completed form. They don't charge for telling you what your options are. You'll find their enquiry form here - http://www.svtech.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Conversion-Form-Motorhome.pdf

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
I intend to use SvTech also. Got this from Gareth at SvTech

Thank you for the email.

The uprate options on this model are listed below.

Option 1 to 3700kg without change and two further options to uprate to 3850kg or 3850kg with uprated rear axle.

Before considering purchasing this vehicle I would strongly suggest you obtain an accurate unladen weight or take a look in to what the MIRO (mass in running order) figures included or didn’t include.

I see Auto-Trail offer an online calculator to obtain the figures for any optional extras- https://www.auto-trail.co.uk/range/apache/632/weight-calculator

Their website does list the following:

Mass in Running Order (MRO):

The Mass in Running Order

(MRO) is the mass of the empty vehicle including a 75kg allowance

for the driver, the diesel tank full and an LPG cylinder full. The MRO

is calculated with the freshwater tank empty on all models and with

one 13kg LPG cylinder. Should you choose to travel with water in

your freshwater tank, or an additional LPG cylinder, then the MRO

figure must be adjusted accordingly.

Tolerances

: The MRO figure quoted is representative of a number

of similar specification models weighed on our fully calibrated axle

weighbridge. Because of the materials and construction techniques

used in the manufacture of our motorhomes, all weights quoted

by us are subject to the tolerances allowed in Regulation (EU) No.

1230/2012 (+/-3%).

Given the allowance of error being ±3%, this could potentially mean your vehicle actually weighs 3373, not 3275kg.

I can’t stress enough about checking the physical weight, as most uprates we cover are on brand new vehicles that have little to no payload allowance remaining.

Uprate options for your vehicle:

The first option, to uprate to 3700kg, does not require any mechanical changes and the axle weights remain unchanged at 1850kg, 2000kg.

The second uprate option is to take the gross weight to 3850kg (max possible). This uprate requires you have rear axle air assisted suspension fit.

The initial uprate to 3850kg would again leave the axle weights unchanged, however you could, with the addition of a tyre change to the rear, increase the rear axle to 2240kg.

If your current tyre size are likely a 215/70R15, these would need changing to a 225/70R15. This should be possible on the existing wheel rim size.
If you are on a 16” wheel, you may have the correct 112 rated tyres already, and please call to confirm the tyre load rating.

Before choosing any of the above uprate options, I would first recommend you have your motorhome weighed and check the individual axle loadings.

Once you have these figures, you will be able to see which uprate option best covers your requirement.

If choosing the second option you would need to source the air assist system and supply evidence of this having been fit. (we can supply if required, though suppliers can be provided if preferred).

Similarly if you wish to uprate the rear axle weight to 2240kg, you will need to supply evidence of the new tyres fit and air kit. These only need changing to the rear, but convenience of the spare wheel would be to change them all.

The cost for us to cover the uprate to any of the above weights is £260+VAT and includes the new plate for the vehicle and the necessary paperwork to allow you to get the registration document changed.

As the gross weight will be going above 3500kg, the taxation class will change from PLG to PHGV. This change will need making at DVLA Swansea, who will supply you with a new log book.

Unfortunately we cannot make the change to the logbook and deal with DVLA, as this must be carried out by the registered keeper.

Please be aware that DVLA Swansea are taking up to 5 weeks to carry out the logbook change, so please plan the best time to make this change if travelling abroad.

You will received a full instruction sheet detailing the changes to be made on the logbook along with the necessary forms to allow you to change the tax class.

The important things to bear in mind when uprating above 3500kg are as follows:

• Going above 3500kg requires a C1 category Licence holder to drive. Drivers having passed their test prior to 1997 usually have this as standard.
  • On reaching 70 years of age, you will need to take a medical test to continue to drive over 3500kg. DVLA forms D2 & D4.
    For medical letters you may wish to consider Broken Link Removed, who offer a cheaper alternative to GP charges.
  • Speed limits in Europe are lower for Motorhomes over 3500kg. In most cases, you are unaffected by the weight change in the UK, as the UK work on the unladen weight not exceeding 3050kg.
  • You must inform your insurance company of the uprate (previous customers have not expericenced an increase)
  • The MOT class for Motorhomes/Motor Caravan is Class 4
  • You should check your recovery policy as some restrict European cover on motorhomes over 3500kg.

I hope I’ve covered everything but should you have any queries in the meantime please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards

Gareth

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
HI Bill-or and ABZ Steve
Thank you so much for your replies which are most helpful. I am sorry for the delay but have only just found the post and time to reply

So weighbridge first and see how I go
Thank you

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Had our Globecar Campscout up plated just before Christmas from 3500 to 4100 paper exercise by JR consultancy cost £150.

John.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back