Free Member
Apr 13, 2016
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 180 Hi Top
Exp
Hi Funsters,

I would like to stand up on the roof on one small specific area of my Autoquest 180 and have a plan to avoid damage which I would like to offer for comments and advice. The specific area is a narrow line which extends from the nearside to the offside and starts over the wardrobe area on the nearside to the bathroom area on the offside. This specific route has been chosen on the assumption that, since both the wardrobe and bathroom extend from floor to ceiling, this will give enough vertical support in this narrow area across the roof to make walking on it, via a scaffold, board feasible. Access to the roof will be via a 3.8 meter telescopic ladder which has a five foot length of padded timber lashed to the top rung to spread the load across the side walls of the vehicle and the scaffold board will also be fully cushioned by using carpet adhesive to affix a length of camping bed foam to one side. If anyone has a roof plan of a 2014 Elddis Autoquest 180 showing the reinforcement areas in the new Solid Construction I would be obliged and of course any constructive advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I should really ask what you weigh but that aside and assuming you are not too big I can't see anything wrong with your plan as the scaffold board will spread any load.

Martin

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Kneel instead of standing

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just get on the roof.
I have NEVER heard of a motorhome roof collapsing under body weight.
ALL mine have beared my weight with ease and I'm 17stone.
Obviously keep away from the edges and any roof vent/window and most importantly, keep off the overcab area.
The weakest part of any flat structure is the edge and around any holes.
All the ladder needs is padding where it sits against the side/roof join, it doesn't need the weight spreading, but only to prevent scratching/scuffing.

OP
OP
Road Cruiser

Road Cruiser

Free Member
Apr 13, 2016
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 180 Hi Top
Exp
Thanks for your comments all ... I now have the confidence to proceed once the weather improves.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
does this help make your mind up :D
images.jpeg

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
@rangitira . Why would @Road Cruiser be safer on his knees ..... do you mean praying he won't fall off? :(

It was just, in view of his "over the top " preparations, something to calm his nervousness at getting on the roof. I can understand his nervousness completely, in the past I thought nothing of scrambling around like a monkey 50 feet above the ground with only a round turn and 2 half hitches tween me and a steel deck below.

That bravado has shrunk a bit now just about manage a 2 stage ladder now:imoutahere::whistle2:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back