Unresolved power issue - heading to Concorde factory for fix - hopefully!!! (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Nice Stellplatze at Bayreuth by the Thermebad (approx 60K) nice town plenty to see :)

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Nice one. (y)
Did they give a reason why the issue couldn't have been sorted out at the UK dealership?

Cheers,

Jock. :)
That would be something i would be interested in although to be fair i would also just be glad it was sorted. We were tempted with a larger vehicle before we got ours last year but decided against it even though i knew i was taking my hgv. It would of meant more planning which is something i am rubbish at as normally we just play it by ear so to speak, our vehicle is not small by any means at 28ft but it is very small compared to the others. Glad that you have got it sorted as i know what a pain having issues can be.

Now go and relax :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Nice one. (y)
Did they give a reason why the issue couldn't have been sorted out at the UK dealership?

Cheers,

It probably could have been sorted at Southdowns, but seeing as they were in Germany, it made sense to 'go to the horses mouth' as they say, or at least thats how I read it. They are going to them Himmelfahrtstreffen at Aschbach.

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Canopus is right. We are in Germany.

Initially we called Southdowns and spoke at length to them about the issues we were having. They diagnosed the problem correctly and told us the only way to resolve it was to get the vehicle plugged into a computer to diagnose what was wrong and put it right. We arrived yesterday evening at the Concorde factory and our issue was resolved before 2pm today. I think that's brilliant service.

We didn't really have an option other than to get it fixed as it was not something we could have continued the trip with.

Anyway, full marks to both Southdowns and Concorde - the situation is now resolved and we are now on our way again! :D

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).

Initially we called Southdowns and spoke at length to them about the issues we were having. They diagnosed the problem correctly and told us the only way to resolve it was to get the vehicle plugged into a computer to diagnose what was wrong and put it right. We arrived yesterday evening at the Concorde factory and our issue was resolved before 2pm today. I think that's brilliant service.

We didn't really have an option other than to get it fixed as it was not something we could have continued the trip with.

Anyway, full marks to both Southdowns and Concorde - the situation is now resolved and we are now on our way again! :D
Apologies @Southdowners. :oops: I wrongly thought the problem first occurred in the UK, and then again whilst in Germany, hence my question re the UK dealership.

Anyway, glad to see that you are all sorted now, and can enjoy the rest of your tour. (y)

Safe travels. :)

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Great to hear you are back up and running. For what its worth I would have done exactly the same, especially since you were so close. They are the experts and have access to required spares. Unfortunately, I have had to make trips from Scotland to Germany before due to having no other choice.
MORELO factory is at the other side of town, about 4 miles away. Nice showroom and nice free café if you have a few spare hours to kill.
Safe travels and enjoy the rest of your time in Germany.

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Thanks for the good wishes!

Spent a restful night - muchly relieved not to have a power down overnight!

Germany is beautiful - we’re in Bavaria at the moment and are really looking forward to exploring and, hopefully, fly fishing!

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I'm chuffed that it has worked out well for you guys and quickly too.(y)

That said, it would be nice if the UK Dealer Network (all brands) was able to replicate a similiar service to which you've just received.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
That said, it would be nice if the UK Dealer Network (all brands) was able to replicate a similiar service to which you've just received.

And if it happened in Morocco ?

Don't these designers ever see the big picture ?

At lease engine designers have come up with limp mode.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I'm chuffed that it has worked out well for you guys and quickly too.(y)

To be fair I think the UK dealer would and could have sorted this if the customer had been in the country(y)

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
And if it happened in Morocco ?

Don't these designers ever see the big picture ?

At lease engine designers have come up with limp mode.
My thoughts exactly Brian, I want our next van to be "simple" when I say that I don't mind some toy's but I don't want them taking over the playpen.

Martin

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Yes, it really does leave you stranded when electronic gizmos go down. Unless you have access to the relevant computer to reboot the system you simply can't do anything. We read and re-read the information leaflets till our heads hurt but to no avail.

As I said earlier, we couldn't even get out of the vehicle! The door and the big front windows are electric and of course both failed. We found out afterwards that there's an emergency door opener behind the shelving on the interior of the door but that was after my husband had to get out of the bedroom window backwards and drop down to the ground. I don't know how far he dropped but I guess it was around 10 foot and he had an ankle replaced only two months ago! Luckily he got away with just bruising to his chest and arms. The brochure we were given when we bought the vehicle had a diagram for a previous model with the emergency handle in a totally different position. Oh well, we know where it is now!

I don't think we'll be going to Morocco because of insurance cover but I think had this happened there we would have been really inconvenienced.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

It shouldn't be necessary to physically connect the vehicle to a computer. I know with some agricultural plant they can be remotely connected to the factory through a mobile phone link and diagnosis and presumably software fixes carried out.
But this hasn't reached MHs - yet!
Glad all is sorted. :)

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I wonder why motorhome manufacturers don't do the same. It would save a lot of inconvenience to customers and dealerships.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Same as some of the excavators I have had, they report back to the service depot with any problems or when a service is coming up.
Wouldn’t think it would be that hard/expensive to apply the same system to M/Hs.

Reactions: DBK

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
It shouldn't be necessary to physically connect the vehicle to a computer. I know with some agricultural plant they can be remotely connected to the factory through a mobile phone link and diagnosis and presumably software fixes carried out.
But this hasn't reached MHs - yet!
Glad all is sorted. :)
I had a problem with my Robomow automatic mower, phoned the dealer in Lincoln, heconnected to the mower via my iPad, sorted the software glitch and all fine afterwards. If it can be done with a £1,200 mower I can’t see why it can’t be done with a very expensive motorhome.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i can fit boilers that phone me to tell me they have a fault usually before the customer knows

Reactions: DBK

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Wouldn’t think it would be that hard/expensive to apply the same system to M/Hs.

And that logic is how it all goes horrendously wrong.

"This is a good idea, won't cost that much"

And so we have a poor soul driving to a factory is Germany to solve a problem that should not be there.

Take your logic and there is one more module to go wrong.

KISS.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
i can fit boilers that phone me to tell me they have a fault usually before the customer knows

Sounds good provided what it takes to run that feature does not cause more faults to occur.

I get the impression modern boilers are efficient but nowhere near as reliable as old ones.

Cost wise I pay under £30 off ebay for a GPRS/GSM modem to do that, my home can tell me if it's unhappy when we are away, so a manufacturer would be paying more like £10 extra.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Our vehicle is ready!!! So efficient! Apparently it was a software problem.
Is that it??? Is that all the information you got??

It's like a garage saying 'It was a problem with the mechanical parts'.

On a system like this, the 'software' measures, reads and responds to different inputs. It's an integral part of the system. What went wrong, how did they fix it, how do others with the same problem know, etc?

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
To be honest, I don't know what else they could have said. We're up and running again with minimal fuss - for us that's by far and away the main thing.

Computerised systems fail from time to time and neither of us are IT consultants so I don't see how further analysis would help.

In response to your question... We pretty much know what went wrong and we knew we needed to get it hooked up to a computer to fix it - as for how others with the same problem... well I guess they'd have to do the same as we did.

The glitch in the software on our onboard Voltmaster was rectified by hooking it up to their computer and, I guess, rebooting or reconfiguring. I wouldn't expect that they'd be able to tell how/why the system failed - it just did.

Clearly the Voltmaster was doing what it was supposed to do in shutting down the power so that the leisure batteries weren't damaged. As you say... 'On a system like this, the 'software' measures, reads and responds to different inputs'. Somehow, in this case, the system was misreading the data and was shutting down although the batteries were fully charged.

That's software for you ;)

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
All good except if you had a fire in the motorhome and needed to get out. Ok if you can speed read the manual to tell you how to climb out a window. Hope it’s all sorted for you. (y)

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Yes, not knowing where the emergency exit handle was is worrying and also the manual device to open the big side windows at the front wasn't obvious. There's a knob either side above the windows. The knobs look as though you'd turn to wind the windows manually... all good, except that they don't. Apparently you pull them out to release the windows and then you pull the windows from the side... again all good except that the windows don't budge! Its something we'll have to resolve at a later date when we go to the Himmelfart get together next month.

Frankly if we had a fire we'd be out of any window like greased lightning!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back