Free Member
Aug 22, 2020
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
American RV,
Exp
Since 2018
Hi all, we will be in Spain for the month of May and would like to have data available, our mobile provider, sky will charge £2 per day roaming charge to use our existing data, text, WhatsApp etc, as we will be there for 31 days, that's 62 quid, and maybe extra data charges.
So what's the best way of using phone in Spain, should l buy a sim card just for our trip that has no roaming charges and plenty of data, all we want data for is, emails, text messages WhatsApp just to keep in touch with the kids and grandkids, occasionally use of apps, to locate lpg stations etc.
Been looking at the superdrug £20 sim with unlimited data, but any suggestions greatly appreciated, won't be streaming TV or anything like that

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Superdrug is capped in Europe. Two choices as far as I can see, the one above in post 2 and Tesco's Home from Home on a rolling monthly basis. All the details you need are in the link in post 2.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 1
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I bought a Spanish Lobster sim in Benidorm for 24€ and has a huge 70GB, you can pause it via an app and start it again if you go to Spain again.
They had other options like 30GB for less €. It works well for me
The one in link is 300gb data and you can pause it’s use whenever you want for a small fee😊

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Hi all, we will be in Spain for the month of May and would like to have data available, our mobile provider, sky will charge £2 per day roaming charge to use our existing data, text, WhatsApp etc, as we will be there for 31 days, that's 62 quid, and maybe extra data charges.
So what's the best way of using phone in Spain, should l buy a sim card just for our trip that has no roaming charges and plenty of data, all we want data for is, emails, text messages WhatsApp just to keep in touch with the kids and grandkids, occasionally use of apps, to locate lpg stations etc.
Been looking at the superdrug £20 sim with unlimited data, but any suggestions greatly appreciated, won't be streaming TV or anything like that
I'm in the process of moving from sky to Tescos, initially going payg because i dont want to commit totally.

Upvote 0

Justus3

Free Member
Jul 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Vivaro conversion
Smarty mobile monthly no contact and good call, data packagers. Easy to see what you get if it's for you DM me have code and we both get a get a free month.

Upvote 0

Justus3

Free Member
Jul 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Vivaro conversion
I think the Smarty sims are capped at 12gb in EU....
They are just i've just checked calls/texts are not plus no roaming charge.
From what OP say's 12gb is easily enough for what they want to do. Mrs JU3 has a much less data package and never users it all. She too is a lite user.

Upvote 0

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
I'm in the process of moving from sky to Tescos, initially going payg because i dont want to commit totally.
At the moment Tesco mobile unlimited everything is only £17.50 usually £25 for 2 year contract and if you go through topcashback they will give you £93. Works out at £13.63 a month

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
At the moment Tesco mobile unlimited everything is only £17.50 usually £25 for 2 year contract and if you go through topcashback they will give you £93. Works out at £13.63 a month
I know there are some good deals right now with Tesco, but we re going to very quickly contravene their fair use policy albeit not in one chunk and in different countries so want to see how it works out first.

Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2014
suffolk
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Look at Uk provider3, I buy their ‘internet with legs’ £40 ish on eBay, 25gbs, lasts 2 years, slips inside a Huawei mobile WiFi device, e5377. Always have Internet from France to southern Croatia!

Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2019
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Mohican
Exp
18 years
With EE it's £2 per day per mobile. When I added it to my plan for my proposed trip in a couple of weeks it was £10 for the month which is a bit of a bonus.

Upvote 0

BDM

Aug 17, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2008
Look at Uk provider3, I buy their ‘internet with legs’ £40 ish on eBay, 25gbs, lasts 2 years, slips inside a Huawei mobile WiFi device, e5377. Always have Internet from France to southern Croatia!
I think this is capped....

Upvote 0
Aug 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Joint Ad
Digi sim 3Gb for 3€/month.can go to 7 for 7 if wanted.or more.
Yoigo unlimited25€/month first 3 months then 33. Works all EU +UK.
Hits4,90€/5Gb ros all EU.
Digi also do unlimited for 25€. You can stop and start as you need too. They use the Moviestar network so is likely to have the best coverage all over Spain. Have a look on Google. There are Digi shops all over Spain.

Upvote 0
Sep 9, 2016
Nr Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma 89
Exp
Since 2012
Look on the web for Tiekom in Spain. You can call them, speak English. They have various packages, I use a Data SIM for my WiFi Hub and stream UK TV 300Gb per month €39 400Gb €49 Unlimited with NO FAIR USAGE POLICY. You can pay by Credit Card or Bank Transfer and they will post to UK at the cost of €5 so you can set it up before you go. No roaming charges unlike UK suppliers. You can also only pay for the months you are in Spain or France as there is No Contracts. Great people a company you can rely on.
Email them at sales@tiekom.com or phone 0034 910 630 890
Good luck enjoy your trip.

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2013
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
They are just i've just checked calls/texts are not plus no roaming charge.
From what OP say's 12gb is easily enough for what they want to do. Mrs JU3 has a much less data package and never users it all. She too is a lite user.
We’re away in Italy/France at the moment. I bought a Huawei Mobile WiFi and 60GB Smarty SIM before leaving. The 12GB cap was quickly reached in 3/4 days. We were on WhatsApp and web browsing using phones and iPads but little else as most places we’ve been stopping have WiFi. Top ups are £1/GB. Despite that I’m happy with it but in all honesty we could have got by with our phones allowances. The main reason I did it was that I understood we’d get better coverage and download speed with the mobile WiFi and I haven’t tested that.

Upvote 0
Jul 4, 2021
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
A class pegaso 590
Exp
4 years

Upvote 0
May 31, 2021
Funster No
MH
tbc
We have the same set-up

Upvote 0

Justus3

Free Member
Jul 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Vivaro conversion
We’re away in Italy/France at the moment. I bought a Huawei Mobile WiFi and 60GB Smarty SIM before leaving. The 12GB cap was quickly reached in 3/4 days. We were on WhatsApp and web browsing using phones and iPads but little else as most places we’ve been stopping have WiFi. Top ups are £1/GB. Despite that I’m happy with it but in all honesty we could have got by with our phones allowances. The main reason I did it was that I understood we’d get better coverage and download speed with the mobile WiFi and I haven’t tested that.

Some websites do use a good bit of data. Blocking plug in and using mobile site versions helps. Surprising how much over the top Media rich sites use. Don't know if you have but turning off push notifications will help both with battery power and data use. Again it's surprising how much that take being allows contracted without you knowing. Using free wifi is the best way and saving your data for when need it. Like you say always plenty of call and texts to use.

Upvote 0

Boy

Apr 17, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 195
I am in Spain I purchase a orange simi only deal in Spain
Luckily a friend of mine was able to unlock it for me
As it came with a PIN number which I was not able to put in to my Huawei in my motor home
Seems to work ok
My Vodophone account was for 100 gb
But when abroad you are only allowed 25 gb per month
In the small print

Upvote 0
Jun 7, 2021
Northamptonshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2016
With EE it's £2 per day per mobile. When I added it to my plan for my proposed trip in a couple of weeks it was £10 for the month which is a bit of a bonus.
Hi,

This is the option we are going to use in France… from experience when in France can you use your phone to tether to an iPad with EE?

When in the UK we turn on tethering on the iPhone and the iPad happilly uses the iPhone data and I want to do similar abroad …

Upvote 0

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Lebara has a fair use limit in the EU, think its at about 5gb?
I had a issue with Lebara, I ordered a SIM, it failed to arrive, I tried to cancel it, they said I have to put the SIM in the phone to cancel it, I said it hadn't come, they said.......this went on , and on, and......I gave up....not like me, but I felt defeated...:cool:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back