Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Have you gone over budget yet?
If you are thinking of fitting winch could you fabricate a pulley system then it will have a duel purpose?

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Sold šŸ˜Ÿ
Exp
1990-2023
Brilliant thread. My German friend has one for use on his land. When he first got it his wife for his birthday booked him on the test track and a tour if the Unimog Museum. We happened to be staying and went along too. So worth a visit if you do go there. Iā€™ve sent him a link to read your thread as I think he may be interested.
Carol

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Nice job well done!
I can imagine turning up at the campsite oh sorry I didn't see your 2 man tent, nor your caravan - monster truck style!!

Do you have any pics of the kitchen area?

Cheers James

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Hi Mhambi , have you started your maiden expedition yet, believed to be early September. Hope all has been progressing well with no major Mog issues. Safe travels (y)

OP
OP
Mhambi
Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
Hi There Waggoner, sorry for the late reply, been pretty hectic getting everything sorted. Weā€™ve done a few shake down test runs to sort out any issues. Touch wood everything is all working as it should. Been down to Cornwall and South Wales on two further trips which were really great. Our planned start date is the 30 Sept where we are setting off on our official maiden trip to Ireland to do the Wild Atlantic way for 2 months then cross into Scotland to do the NC500 and then work our way down South through the Lake District, Peak District, dales ect down to Dover to cross into Europe. I snapped a v belt on the Mog on my way back from a weekend boys trip but was only 5 miles from home and managed to fabricate a temporary belt using my Corona mask which got me home.beedless to say all belts have been replaced and 2 spare sets are packed in the spares box probably never to be used.
Will keep you posted on the travels.
If anyone has done the Wild Atlantic way would appreciate any comments. Thanks.

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
If anyone has done the Wild Atlantic way would appreciate any comments. Thanks.
This month's Fun magazine has a article about the Wild Atlantic Way which was informative and enjoyable. They went in May June time so possibly better weather (although you never really know what weather to expect on the west coast apart from wind and rain !). It's many years since I traveled it but it will always be wild and beautiful.
Have a great trip.
Paddy

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Bon voyage for the start of your trans-continental journey on Friday. At least your initial route, Ireland/Scotland, should allow a good shake-down before venturing into mainland Europe and beyond.

Website looks great - will be watching with interest. Totsiens (for now) :giggle:

OP
OP
Mhambi
Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
Bon voyage for the start of your trans-continental journey on Friday. At least your initial route, Ireland/Scotland, should allow a good shake-down before venturing into mainland Europe and beyond.

Website looks great - will be watching with interest. Totsiens (for now) :giggle:
Thanks Bud, Its just a flurry of activity at the moment to get everything sorted before Friday. Nerves are shot.

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Saw this one on a site this week. It pulled in as we pulled out unfortunately

IMG-20201006-WA0034.jpg

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
They are similar to the outbound windows, but made by Motorcraft adventure developments.

Love the windows and the build, i see they are double glazed glass, so if the glass ever blows\mists up? Can you easily replace the glass or would it have to be a complete new window?

OP
OP
Mhambi
Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
Hi Paul, You can just replace the glass panel I would assume. it looks like they are bolted to the hinge/slider with Cap screws.

OP
OP
Mhambi
Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
We made it to Italy, :cool:. Was a mad dash through France only stopping twice to fill up. Tolls are a huge expense but had to use the tolls to minimise the time travelled in France. We are currently in Susa and planning to head south to the coast over the next few days. To be honest im loving being in the Alps temps still in the lower twenties.
Italy 03 11 20.jpg

OP
OP
Mhambi
Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
Any Ideas if there is a retail chain in Italy I can try get a UK gas adaptor? Rookie mistake...........

OP
OP
Mhambi
Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
We are back in the UK, Having travelled over 8000 miles around Europe on our shake down trip and what a blast it was. Countries travelled include, France, Italy, Switzerland, Spain, Gibraltar and Portugal. Unfortunately we did not get to Sicily as Covid was starting to lock down in Italy and we needed to head to Switzerland asap. We also were hoping to cross from Italy into Greece and travel the Balkans up to Switzerland.
Let hope that the North opens up in the not too distant future as I would really like to get this done before heading back to South Africa.
The trip has really tested the vehicle and build as we have been to all climates and in varying weather conditions from +29deg to -12deg, The only issue we had on the trip was the brake actuator, which was temporarily fixed with 3 5c pieces which act as a spacer letting the air escape instead of pushing it through the master cylinder.
I will upload some picks below of the truck in different locations.
Google Maps Overview.png

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Lovely pics and hats of to you.
I would be interested if you came across any travel restrictions, any tests required etc. When did you got back? . Thank you.

OP
OP
Mhambi
Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
Hi Raul, We got back 3 weeks ago and had to complete a travel locator form on entry to the UK. We isolated for the first 2 weeks since we got back but as the UK came into lockdown we have been Isolated since returning. I believe it will continue until mid March so we are in for the long haul.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Thank you Mhambi, the situation changes fast. I will hunker down where I am at the moment. Itā€™s just brutally cold, this morning -18C. Was hoping to move south but restrictions are putting us off.

OP
OP
Mhambi
Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
Hi Raul, I feel your pain. We were only planning on being back in the UK mid to end Feb hoping to have missed most of the horrid wet weather, instead we are smack bang in the middle of it. The Sun really does make a difference to attitudes.
Whereabouts are you? Regards Shayne.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back