May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
I may have to plan a trip to visit.
The museum is definitely worth a visit, I don’t think the wife believed me when we just happened to stumble across it.
She wasn’t impressed that day but me and the boy had a whale of a time.
We use Mogs at work on the electric lines. Nothing else is up to it on the terrain we’ve got.
8A6C08A9-9848-40DD-90ED-A87FEC356A4C.jpeg
58AE0995-0E82-461B-B562-B75CE566641D.jpeg
DF85A749-3E27-4CD0-A471-A11D4FCE7D59.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mhambi
Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
The museum is definitely worth a visit, I don’t think the wife believed me when we just happened to stumble across it.
She wasn’t impressed that day but me and the boy had a whale of a time.
We use Mogs at work on the electric lines. Nothing else is up to it on the terrain we’ve got.

Id Love one of these newer models.

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
Oscar Plant, now that takes me down memory lane,
Tell Horne I said hello, I bumped into him last year in Barmouth for the first time in about 10 yrs and he’s still as mad as ever.
It’s been a couple of years since I had a spin in one

1588337068537.jpeg
1588337068537.jpeg

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Oscar Plant, now that takes me down memory lane,
Tell Horne I said hello, I bumped into him last year in Barmouth for the first time in about 10 yrs and he’s still as mad as ever.
It’s been a couple of years since I had a spin in one

View attachment 383896View attachment 383896
Was that in WPD?
Looks like Andy Barton’s car in the background. I’ll tell Hornet when I see him, he puts my poles up for me.
Mad as a box of frogs ?

OP
OP
Mhambi
Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
Ive mounted my underslung tank just behind the cab but under the habitation box. What I have noticed is the exhaust runs underneath it by about 450mm. Does any one know what the minimum distance has to be? Having said that the exhaust will soon be replaced with a canister that sits just behind the front wheel but would be good to know for future reference.

Attachments

• Underslung Gas Tank 2.jpg
    Underslung Gas Tank 2.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 100
  • Underslung Gas Tank 3.jpg
    Underslung Gas Tank 3.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 100

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
We used Unimogs in the seventies and eighties loading the hoppers when doing forestry crop dusting by helicopter. Brilliant machine.
mog-lama00.jpg

OP
OP
Mhambi
Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
Just found it, It needs to be more than 4" from the exhaust.

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
Was that in WPD?
Looks like Andy Barton’s car in the background. I’ll tell Hornet when I see him, he puts my poles up for me.
Mad as a box of frogs ?

No it was with McAlpines working out of a yard at Llay, I spent half my time shifting his plant that weren’t even on McAlpines books, tell him The mighty Quinn said hello, that’s what he called me even tho it had no relation to my name

OP
OP
Mhambi
Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
So after fitting the toilet internally I needed to drill a hole for the air intake into the floor of the habitat but unfortunately this would have come into one of the main flatbed cross beams, so ive had to reposition the toilet and rebuild the internal furniture. grrrrrrr

Attachments

• Unimog Toilet 12.jpg
    Unimog Toilet 12.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 94
  • Unimog Toilet 11.jpg
    Unimog Toilet 11.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 94
  • Unimog Toilet 13.jpg
    Unimog Toilet 13.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 95
OP
OP
Mhambi
Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
After a lot of thought ive found a suitable place to fit the entrance ladder on the rear of the mog. Does any one know what that latch is called that they have on the back of Trailers to hold the gate closed? You point the tab straight to close the tailgate then lift the tab sideways and push it down to lock it in place. I also need some way of locking the ladder on the back. Any suggestions please?

Attachments

• Entrance Ladder 1.jpg
    Entrance Ladder 1.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 114
  • Entrance Ladder 2.jpg
    Entrance Ladder 2.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 109
  • Entrance Ladder.jpg
    Entrance Ladder.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 106
May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
After a lot of thought ive found a suitable place to fit the entrance ladder on the rear of the mog. Does any one know what that latch is called that they have on the back of Trailers to hold the gate closed? You point the tab straight to close the tailgate then lift the tab sideways and push it down to lock it in place. I also need some way of locking the ladder on the back. Any suggestions please?
Anti Luce fastener is what you need

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Just read all of this thread, brilliant, great project, always wanted a Unimog, I’ve no idea why, just think they’re the dogs dooda’s, always looking on fleebay, I’d love to have the technical prowess to complete such a project as you (and others) are doing, well done.

I’ve read a few times about problems with rigidity (no flex) in off road campers, like in the article above

In terms of mounting it to the Unimog, Marshall said, "I used the method that Mercedes-Benz has also used for many years. The idea behind it utilizes four sockets, one on each corner; however, you do not lock all four in. You only lock in two when you are off-road. Furthermore, it has a double-frame setup. The truck has its own frame, and then on top of that there is a secondary subframe, each of which has its own abilities to somewhat flex. The box mounts to the secondary frame, not the primary."

just wondered if you have addressed this in any way?

OP
OP
Mhambi
Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
Just read all of this thread, brilliant, great project, always wanted a Unimog, I’ve no idea why, just think they’re the dogs dooda’s, always looking on fleebay, I’d love to have the technical prowess to complete such a project as you (and others) are doing, well done.

I’ve read a few times about problems with rigidity (no flex) in off road campers, like in the article above

In terms of mounting it to the Unimog, Marshall said, "I used the method that Mercedes-Benz has also used for many years. The idea behind it utilizes four sockets, one on each corner; however, you do not lock all four in. You only lock in two when you are off-road. Furthermore, it has a double-frame setup. The truck has its own frame, and then on top of that there is a secondary subframe, each of which has its own abilities to somewhat flex. The box mounts to the secondary frame, not the primary."

just wondered if you have addressed this in any way?

My Unimog is a bit different to his Mog, Mine came from the AUS military as a container carrier and so was built with a torsion free flatbed. This torsion free flat bed is ideal for the camper build as it is build and mounted in such a way that it allows the chassis to flex while keeping the bed horizontal "to a degree" and most importantly torsion free.

OP
OP
Mhambi
Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
When going over uneven ground, your vehicle's suspension will absorb much of the difference in surface height between the wheels. However, at some point the suspension movement will not be enough to compensate for the height difference. The weight of your vehicle will more likely than not result in some chassis-twist.

Many off-road vehicles are actually designed to allow chassis-twist. The Mercedes-Benz Unimog is a prime example of this. As the vehicle goes over very rough terrain, such that the vehicle's suspension cannot fully compensate, the weight of the vehicle will most likely cause the chassis to twist until one or more wheels make contact with the ground.

Let us consider this chassis twist. Assume your living cell is attached directly to the chassis in a rigid fashion - what will happen when your chassis twists? This twist will be transferred directly to your living cell. When driving over corrugations, which we will no doubt encounter in Africa, this twist can literally tear your living cell apart!

Countering this problem by making your body sufficiently strong to withstand this twist is not an ideal solution, as this will have the adverse affect of preventing your chassis from twisting sufficiently, thus reducing its off-road ability.

The ideal solution is to have a torsion-free mounting, which uses geometry to counteract the chassis twist.

Flatbed.png

Here you can see a diagram of the 3-point frame assembly used in the Unimog.

When any of the 4 chasss rails twist (green arrows), the fixed centre mounting holds the body in the middle while the front and rear mountings rotate, transmitting the force harmlessly away from the box, keeping it stable and allowing the chassis to twist freely beneath.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Thanks for that, very interesting as well.

OP
OP
Mhambi
Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
Mhambi had you thought about hinging the ladder in the doorway so that you can fold it out ,
like here https://www.blissmobil.com/products/15-foot/3d-tour/
Wow that's really cool, But would take a shed load of engineering to have that purpose made to fit my setup.
Im longing to get on the road and start using the truck, Ive been building Landy's and this truck for the last 3 years. Perhaps once ive travelled a bit and enjoyed the truck Ill make a few modifications and upgrades like this. For now Im planning to hit the road end of July latest.

OP
OP
Mhambi
Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
Windows finally fitted, Starting to look like an expedition vehicle now.
Not too long now before we are in it full time.

Attachments

• Window 1.jpg
    Window 1.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 113
  • Window.jpg
    Window.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 113
OP
OP
Mhambi
Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
They are similar to the outbound windows, but made by Motorcraft adventure developments.

Last edited:

A and B in the Huzzie

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Burford Duo
Exp
Since 2018
They are similar to the outbound windows, but made by Motorcraft adventure developments.
I didn't realise MAD made windows, there's nothing on their web site about selling them. Was this a special order for you? Are they as good as Outbound? I'm guessing they are cheaper ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back