Underslung tank fitting problems (1 Viewer)

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi Everybody I wanted an under slung tank fitted but have searched around in my neck of the woods I can't seem to find anyone who can fit one, then today a guy from Northampton said he could but looking at the measurements of my chassis I'm not sure he will be able to get a 60Ltr one on my van and to go any lower I might as well go for Gasit or Gaslow system.

So if this chap does say he can fit one he works 170miles away from me so I'm not sure I want to travel that distance just to get a tank fitted as the fuel costs will be quite large.

Anyway going on to Gasit or Gaslow does anybody know of a user refillable system which can supply the 13kg bottles or are they all 11kg or 6kg I can't seem to find any but hopeing someone knows of a company who supply the 13kg user refellable bottles.

I have also seen these adapters online which allow you to fill a standard bottle, Is this illegal or what.

Seems quite a cheap way of filling your bottles up without paying for Gasit or Gaslow.

Has anybody used these, any comments will be much appreciated.
Many Thanks Tony

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Tony

Firstly refilling of exchange cylinder is NOT allowed by the 'owners' of the cylinders, eg Calor etc. It is also dangerous to do so as they have no 80% cut off valve so you could easily overfill and that could be quite disasterous so I'd stay well clear of the adaptors!

Refillable cylinders supplied by Gaslow and Gasit are normally 6kg or 11kg, however Gasit do a 14kg one and a 21kg one too but they may not fit in your gas locker and even if they did, if you change your MH in the future they may NOT go in so could be an expensive mistake.

Back to having a fixed underslung tank - 60lt is quite large so I think you are wise to be cautious about travelling such a distance without knowing for sure that one can be fitted.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Have a word with @Techno or supermearcat according to his avatar :Das he fitted one to his Moho.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I had a 20 litre Gasit tank underneath my van when i bought it and have just replaced it with a 25 litre one by Northants Motorhome Services - is that the place you are thinking of? He is an approved Gasit fitter, and the nearest to me (in Oxford). I did find a list of their approved fitters and am sure I saw one nearer to you, maybe Winchester?? But I can't find the list now. I have a Panel van conversion and did this on the recommendation of owners with the same van. 60 litres seems a lot to carry - don't forget the weight issue...60 kilos of your payload??

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Hi Tony

Firstly refilling of exchange cylinder is NOT allowed by the 'owners' of the cylinders, eg Calor etc. It is also dangerous to do so as they have no 80% cut off valve so you could easily overfill and that could be quite disasterous so I'd stay well clear of the adaptors!

Refillable cylinders supplied by Gaslow and Gasit are normally 6kg or 11kg, however Gasit do a 14kg one and a 21kg one too but they may not fit in your gas locker and even if they did, if you change your MH in the future they may NOT go in so could be an expensive mistake.

Back to having a fixed underslung tank - 60lt is quite large so I think you are wise to be cautious about travelling such a distance without knowing for sure that one can be fitted.

You won't overfill if the bottle is empty and you know how many litres is 80% of the bottles capacity. I have used one for three years now. BUSBY..

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
I had a 20 litre Gasit tank underneath my van when i bought it and have just replaced it with a 25 litre one by Northants Motorhome Services - is that the place you are thinking of? He is an approved Gasit fitter, and the nearest to me (in Oxford). I did find a list of their approved fitters and am sure I saw one nearer to you, maybe Winchester?? But I can't find the list now. I have a Panel van conversion and did this on the recommendation of owners with the same van. 60 litres seems a lot to carry - don't forget the weight issue...60 kilos of your payload??

Hi viennese thanks for the info, I might be mistaken but I think 60ltrs is only 30kg 24kg at 80% not much more than 2 x 13kg bottles I'll wait in antisipation of people shooting me down with my maths.
The guy in question is Ian and comes form motorhometech.co.uk he seems quite helpfull, I'm waiting for his reply to the measurements I sent him earlier today, but I'm not that hopefull.
That is why I'm looking into fitting a Gasit or something else.
Oxford is a bit nearer than my chap if you can find the list it would be most helpfull especially if it's near Winchester.
Many Thanks Tony

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
You won't overfill if the bottle is empty and you know how many litres is 80% of the bottles capacity. I have used one for three years now. BUSBY..
Hi Busby Thanks for that, have you ever been aproched by the service station staff and asked to stop filling your bottles?
best Wishes Tony

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Also Busby do you fill one bottle up and then take the hose off and fill another one or do you just fill one bottle up per visit to make it as unnoticable as possible.
Many Thanks Tony

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you want to risk it that's up to you and maybe you are more careful than others but I am careful and I certainly would not do this - if you have some gas/lpg left in the bottle you are asking for trouble IMV.

Where do YOU fill up and how many litres would you say you've got through in that time?

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
If you want to risk it that's up to you and maybe you are more careful than others but I am careful and I certainly would not do this - if you have some gas/lpg left in the bottle you are asking for trouble IMV.
Hi Minxy
You are totally correct, but it anoys the pants off me that calor do not do a user refillable bottle with a 80% cut of and why are the Gaslow and Gasit so expensive if you want to get a Calor bottle even if you have not got one it does not cost you anywhere near what a Gaslow or Gasit costs.
I do realize that the Calor bottle is never actually yours, I understand you are renting it from Calor under contract, perhaps that is where the difference is.

Busby is correct in saying if you fill a totally empty bottle up and know what 80% is then as long as you don't go over that it should be OK, again these companies are protecting us from the idiots who will fill the bottle to it's full capacity.

Let me state I'm not an idiot, although some would argue that one. LOL

Thanks for your input Minxy all responses are welcomed. I always say two heads are better that one except when your tossing coin. LOL
Best Wishes Tony

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
I
Hi Minxy
Busby is correct in saying if you fill a totally empty bottle up and know what 80% is then as long as you don't go over that it should be OK, again these companies are protecting us from the idiots who will fill the bottle to it's full capacity.

Best Wishes Tony

I have seen several threads on Fun where people have reported that they have problems trying to refil an empty Gaslow cylinder when it turns out that the cylinder was not empty at all but the regulator was faulty. I suppose you could weigh the cylinder to check it was empty or see if any will come out once it is disconnected, but it still sounds a bit risky to me. However, I am a fairly risk averse person so I would not do it and I would prefer not to be at the same filling station while you were doing it.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I gave 2 x 14kg alugas. Went to autogas2000 in Thirsk. Could only fit a smaller undertank so went for the above instead. It might be a distance but book yourself in to see them.they have everything in stock and will let you know your options. You can park overnight, and make a trip of it. Whitby not far and several other places to visit along the coast. .and it will be a safe fitting as well.
I am led to believe that calor check all their returned bottles before refilling.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I

I have seen several threads on Fun where people have reported that they have problems trying to refil an empty Gaslow cylinder when it turns out that the cylinder was not empty at all but the regulator was faulty. I suppose you could weigh the cylinder to check it was empty or see if any will come out once it is disconnected, but it still sounds a bit risky to me. However, I am a fairly risk averse person so I would not do it and I would prefer not to be at the same filling station while you were doing it.
If you shake or turn over a gas bottle you can tell if there is gas in.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I gave 2 x 14kg alugas. Went to autogas2000 in Thirsk. Could only fit a smaller undertank so went for the above instead. It might be a distance but book yourself in to see them.they have everything in stock and will let you know your options. You can park overnight, and make a trip of it. Whitby not far and several other places to visit along the coast. .and it will be a safe fitting as well.
I am led to believe that calor check all their returned bottles before refilling.
And you can park up at my nephew's pub, the King's Arms in nearby Sandhutton, where the food is fantastic!

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Hi viennese thanks for the info, I might be mistaken but I think 60ltrs is only 30kg 24kg at 80% not much more than 2 x 13kg bottles I'll wait in antisipation of people shooting me down with my maths.
The guy in question is Ian and comes form motorhometech.co.uk he seems quite helpfull, I'm waiting for reply to the measurements I sent him earlier today, but I'm not that hopefull.
That is why I'm looking into fitting a Gasit or something else.
Oxford is a bit nearer than my chap if you can find the list it would be most helpfull especially if it's near Winchester.
Many Thanks Tony
HI Tony
I phoned Gasit on your behalf and there are 2 approved fitters nearer you - KLF Automotive in Basingstoke, and Essanjay in Poole. Hope this helps.

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
If you shake or turn over a gas bottle you can tell if there is gas in.

Agreed, that is similar to weighing or venting as I was suggesting as a safety precaution.

Actually the two big attractions of Gaslow etc to me are [1] you do not have to keep taking the cylinder out of the gas locker and [2] I can put more gas in when it is still partially full, thus doing it at my convenience.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Agreed, that is similar to weighing or venting as I was suggesting as a safety precaution.

Actually the two big attractions of Gaslow etc to me are [1] you do not have to keep taking the cylinder out of the gas locker and [2] I can put more gas in when it is still partially full, thus doing it at my convenience.
Agreed. (y)

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
I have a 55 litre tank fitted by Autogas2000. They seem to fit that size to most MH, and had no problems fitting it to my AlKo chassised Bailey.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

Where do YOU fill up and how many litres would you say you've got through in that time?
Be like Busby
Fill yer own Cylinders
Busby is a silly man
Busby will blow his hands and arms off:Eeek:

Knock Knock
Who's there
It aint Busby:doh:

Dont be like Busby:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
G

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
phoned Gasit on your behalf and there are 2 approved fitters nearer you - KLF Automotive in Basingstoke, and Essanjay in Poole. Hope this help

Hi Viennese Although I've put a ratting of "Thanks" on your reply I just had to thank you in words, that was very nice of you and I wanted you too know how much I appreciated it.
Many Tanks Tony

Billggski

Free Member
Aug 6, 2013
Stone
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
How much gas will you use? I have 2 X 11k Gaslow cylinders and in the last year I have used about 8 litres, France twice, Scotland, Cornwall and a few weekends. unless you are skiing in it you will not need much.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
And you can park up at my nephew's pub, the King's Arms in nearby Sandhutton, where the food is fantastic!

Seconded. We've been there!!! Great food and lovely staff.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We are having our Alugas system fitted in a couple of weeks. We're going for a single 11kg refillable and also have a calor "just in case". wouldn't bother with the calor but we have the cylinder and he worries about running out or not being able to refill.

In the previous van we had a single alugas and never had a problem, just refilled at the start of a trip or when it was about half used. The most it ever cost us to top up was just under £5.

Personally I would not refill a calor cylinder myself as I am not qualified to do so.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Everybody is different on usage.
I full time and My preference is non electric. I shower every day, and am running a large fridge freezer,
Have had heating on a couple of times when it's been wet and miserable.
14kg has lasted me 3 weeks.
£17.50 to fill.
Prices vary from 45p to £1.00 a litre for gas.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We had a 55l (44l @ 80%) underslung tank by Autogas 2000 on our previous m/h but no space under our new van so got them to fit 2x 14Kg Alugas tanks in the gas locker .... Great service from Autogas 2000 as usual!(y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
How much gas will you use? I have 2 X 11k Gaslow cylinders and in the last year I have used about 8 litres, France twice, Scotland, Cornwall and a few weekends. unless you are skiing in it you will not need much.
That is very light usage, in summer we 14kg (26Lt) in 3 weeks, in winter a bottle will only last a few days.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate

The answer to that is I'm not sure, all I know is my gas system has been checked and given the green light also my fridge freezer was checked all ok.

On a recent trip to the New Forest 3 nights no EHU I used the best part of a 6kg light bottle not sure exactly how much is left as its only an indication on the top of the bottle but it is reading all red apart from a little bit of green.

I've a large fridge freezer and cook with gas but very little.
I intend too do most of my camping of grid so gas will be used for the fridge freezer all the time apart from moving from place to place.
At that rate at £20 a bottle I would have been better off on EHU but none on this site I visited.
Best Wishes Tony

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The answer to that is I'm not sure, all I know is my gas system has been checked and given the green light also my fridge freezer was checked all ok.

On a recent trip to the New Forest 3 nights no EHU I used the best part of a 6kg light bottle not sure exactly how much is left as its only an indication on the top of the bottle but it is reading all red apart from a little bit of green.

I've a large fridge freezer and cook with gas but very little.
I intend too do most of my camping of grid so gas will be used for the fridge freezer all the time apart from moving from place to place.
At that rate at £20 a bottle I would have been better off on EHU but none on this site I visited.
Best Wishes Tony

We too camp off grid so I suspect your gas usage will be similar to ours, we use the hot water quite a bit as we both like our morning shower. We have noticed with the current van gas usage is higher with our 8505 fridge freezer appears to use a lot more than the 7000 series fridge freezer in the last van

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back