Underslung LPG to Alko chassis fitting in pictures (1 Viewer)

TheDentons

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie bought our first motorhome 7months ago and love it
The air box only goes one way and must be in the correct attitude.
Weight test, I'm equal to over 150 litres of propane :LOL:
CA_11141417312083-XL.jpg
How do you work out the attitude? Sorry for all the questions

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
You can buy a fitting gauge from Gasit £5 or use the indicator cross on the tank (requires some imagination) the cross used to be a sticker but it is now a weld. You can make it out in the top picture (foreground this side of the rubber strap) of this page. The airbox basically points down pretty much as I've shown. The only consequence of not being in the correct attitude is you might not get the full 80% of gas as it affects the level gauge and shut off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Tomorrow I will fashion the straps even though it would actually stay in place with this support.
I bought the steel so I may as well give the galvaniser more to do.
I bought 2mm and 3mm x30 flat bar, I'll be using the 2mm and it will go from the underside of the angle iron over the top of the tank and fix to the underside of the other angle iron.

This support frame could make use of ready made plastic coated straps for other DIY'ers

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Following this with interest Techno. We intend to buy a new Motorhome early next year and will deffo fit gasit or similar. May even go for under slung tank. (y)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Interesting thread Andy,
I intend to fit one on the PVC we are building ;)

Whats the smallest tank they do ? I will only be fitting a small tank as we only have the cooker running on gas.
Do you think alloy angle would be strong enough to construct a support frame like yours ?

Thanks.....Ralph

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Andy great pics , I smiled as I scrolled down the page I knew your installation would survive a nuclear blast.(y)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
You could have a lot of very childish fun with that amount of superglue...... just saying.......

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hi Andy

As you know Ive been down this path on the truck. ( 80 Litr )

When you get to the painting stage , don't do this in doors or you will be in deep trouble. Its like an underseal that never goes off, very messy.

I plumbed mine in with the 8mm flexible hose and fittings from Tinley Tech that they use to fit LPG fuel tanks. It wasnt cheap but really robust and flexible . It can handle lots of movement and impact etc.

The guy who did my safety certificate loved it although it was a bit over the top

Looks good

Neil

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Hi Neil
Mine may not be painted as it will be completely sheilded against stone chips.
I believe the real reason that tank manufacturers recommend stone guard is because their paint is often dodgy and the tank rusts underneath it so it bubbles up.
I may add some red plasticoat paint rather than the messy stuff.
My new tank has a ten years test certificate and my in house system is leak free so I won't be paying a "professional" to tell me what I already know. I will off course leak test my reconnections.

It is because of professional work that I'm renewing the install after 6.5 years, I already replaced the pipework soon after buying the van.

Last edited:

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
I agree the red paint on ours was poor.
I have one of Broken Link Removed devices and its fantastic. ( a must for all motorhome toolboxes )

We had ours tested as it it was a completely new install, but I am m sure that if you pressure it up and close all the taps then see if it still has pressure a few hours later then it will be as good as the test they did for leaks .

Neil

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Good work there Andy. (y)

I did look at going down the same route, as a replacement for our existing setup, (black tank) however, having taken professional advice, I have recently tidied up and recoated our tank and have had it checked out, for both security and leak testing, whereby a dated and signed certificate was issued by an industry registered installer for £25.00. (y)

According to EU and UN directives, the 10 year legislation only applies to LPG installations used to power motorised vehicles, and does not apply to domestic installations. This was confirmed by the industry installer who issued the certificate. (It certainly wasn't even mentioned by the first installer we approached. Oh no, apparently we needed a complete new installation, as ours hadn't been installed properly, :eek: and further to that, we'd have to accept a smaller tank, and pay extra for a chassis cradle to be fabricated, at a cost of just under £600) Yeah right.

It was someone much more knowledgeable than me (former MOD procurement) who did some extensive research on my behalf, and provided the info, for which I am very grateful. I did enquire about having our tank presure tested, but that means it needs to be decanted, removed, a complete new valve assembly fitted, and then sent off for testing, the total cost of which is more than the cost of a new tank and valve assembly. However, as our installation is not for engine combustion purposes, that action wasn't necessary either.

Part of the problem is the straps used by some of these installers, as they are only made from thin gauge mild steel. Our "brackets" (not straps) are made from thick gauge steel with a rubber lining, and are secured through the MH floor using spreader plates. It is rock solid, and hasn't moved in 15 years, and as said above, we've had it all checked out for security and safety, I am very happy with that. I won't knowingly compromise on safety.

Cheers for now,

Jock.

P.S. Sorry in advance Andy, if you think I'm trying to hijack your thread.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Hi Andy
I like the thread, and the photos of your build are impressive to say the least.
I note that your straps don't have any means of adjustment -are you happy with that? I would have considered future movement may require some tightening up as it were. I appreciate that any hot dip type galvanising will marginally thicken up your mild steel brackets/straps etc. which will help to keep the tank tight into the frame.In the Gasit photos they also have a support across the mid-length of the angle frame.may be worth looking at this feature before any galvanising etc.
Cheers
(y)

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The straps are tightly bent around the tank rubbers (it is going nowhere). Their frames are much smaller gauge steel than mine. The frame in the very first picture that is hung sideways and very rusty is the same as sold by gasit.

Hence John's statement about withstanding a nuclear blast :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
"Hence John's statement about withstanding a nuclear blast :ROFLMAO:"

Agreed(y)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Stako supports really are feeble
stako_upto_90.jpg
I know of one MH'er whose gas tank fell away using that type of cradle, where one of the flimsy metal straps failed due to corrosion. Fortunately they managed a repair local to their foreign location, and when back in the UK had the job done properly while still under warranty. They were astonished that the securing strap failed as it did.

Cheers,

Jock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back