Underslung LPG on a Ducato van? (1 Viewer)

Rockburner

Free Member
Oct 24, 2017
Funster No
I'm hopefully buying a Ducato based van conversion soon (a Wiensberg), and I am going to be getting the LPG conversion done, but I'd like to maximise internal capacity if possible so I'm wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to buy a LPG compatible tank that can be mounted underneath the vehicle, rather than the dual cylinders inside?
I know that the grey water tank is already mounted underneath the chassis, and it's a 6m van, so there should be a reasonable amount of 'length' underneath to fit a long, thin tubular tank.
I've seen them at the show, but didn't get a chance to tank to the vendor unfortunately.
I'd be wanting to have it fitted, so any recommendations for fitting companies would also be greatly appreciated. :) (especially if they're familiar with doing a BBQ outlet as well!)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I have a 5 meter Ducato which has underslung LPG, fresh water and grey water (both winterised).
My conversion was built by WildAx at Elland, but I don't know if they'd retrofit to another conversion - they're very helpful though so it can't hurt to ask
https://www.wildaxmotorhomes.com/

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Ours is a Gasit system fitted by IH. This is their website and they have a help line telephone number and I am sure they will have a list of recommended fitters.
http://www.gasit.co.uk/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Another recommendation for autogas2000. They have everything in stock, even 14kg bottles which may fit without the collars if you can't fit an underslung tank.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Out-of interest, how easy is it to isolate / turn off an underslung tank when getting a ferry / channel tunnel?

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I assumed that you has to isolate the LPG at the actual tank (rather than a tap on a pipe at some distance from the tank) for the Tunnel and that a remote valve at some distance from the tank would not be satisfactory.

As a result, I thought you would have to crawl under the van to isolate the underslung LPG tank valve.....

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
We have a GasIt model fitted under our van, with water tanks. The gas tank has a Truma crash sensor as well, which means the heating can be used when driving:

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Another recommendation for Autogas 2000.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I assumed that you has to isolate the LPG at the actual tank (rather than a tap on a pipe at some distance from the tank) for the Tunnel and that a remote valve at some distance from the tank would not be satisfactory.

As a result, I thought you would have to crawl under the van to isolate the underslung LPG tank valve.....
That's what you have to do with our Autogas2000 tank. You would have to crawl underneath, unscrew a knob which allows you to take a cover off to get at the actual isolating valve. I have heard some folk just give the cover screw a half turn and tell the Chunnel body the gas is turned off! I would not endorse such reprehensible behaviour. :)
On ferries, which is what we use, I just turn off a couple of valves inside a kitchen cupboard and when asked say the gas is turned off - which it is.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We did what you propose, underslung tank, BBQ point and cut off in old gas locker.
Our van is a 6.3 mtr and we also have full air suspension and leveling so positioning of the tank was important.
Autogas 2000 fitted mine.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I'm currently emailing Autogas to enquire about getting a tank fitted to a 5.4m Ducato van. They are very responsive.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp

Ours is fitted with an isolation valve easy reached just underneath by the slide out step, as well as the internal seperate appliance isolations.
On our recent tunnel trip, we were checked by a lady who asked us to try and light the gas hob. She had just been trained, she said and was new, this was how she had been told to check.
I refrained from telling her that if I had the 12 volt turned off the gas hob would not light because no spark! The gas could still be on.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Ours is fitted with an isolation valve easy reached just underneath by the slide out step, as well as the internal seperate appliance isolations.
On our recent tunnel trip, we were checked by a lady who asked us to try and light the gas hob. She had just been trained, she said and was new, this was how she had been told to check.
I refrained from telling her that if I had the 12 volt turned off the gas hob would not light because no spark! The gas could still be on.
If that's the check, then the isolation valve is allowed to be well after the regulator?

OP
OP
R

Rockburner

Free Member
Oct 24, 2017
Funster No
Cheers all! Autogas2000 seem a very good company to deal with.
Have to admit the cost was a lot more than I was expecting, but then I think my expectations were a little optimistic for this entire project tbh!

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i fitted one to the van in my avatar 2007 evidently theres less room under the next model x290 but still doable

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Gasit sell kits so you can install a tank yourself, you obviously need to check there's sufficient room for one though.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
i fitted one to the van in my avatar 2007 evidently theres less room under the next model x290 but still doable
I fitted one to a 2017 Boxer the other day, just as much room as the x250s. We use the Autogas2000 kit with their mounting frames, far superior to using the thin steel straps that so many Installers use.

D.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
Another vote for Gas it !! and good quality too! A lot cheaper than the competition and their agents will fit it for you at a very reasonable price - such as Avon gas in about 3hrs.

For those who want a recommendation - perhaps ask Autosleeper, and few others that fit it as one of their options on new PVC's.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
We have a GasIt model fitted under our van, with water tanks. The gas tank has a Truma crash sensor as well, which means the heating can be used when driving:

Is that acceptable when you buy fuel, since they don't even want you to use your phone.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I fitted one to a 2017 Boxer the other day, just as much room as the x250s. We use the Autogas2000 kit with their mounting frames, far superior to using the thin steel straps that so many Installers use.

D.
as i said it is doable but from what i was told the max size is less think mine was 40l

Clive Mott

Funster
Nov 12, 2012
New Milton
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 1972
A while back I fitted an underslung tank to our Autotrail. It was well under! So I made a tap extension to the side skirt. A bit of bar with a fork on one end to engage with the holes in the original gas shut off valve. A grommet hole in the ally cover, and a bend on the end by the skirt by its support bracket, and another grommet. It worked.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
as i said it is doable but from what i was told the max size is less think mine was 40l
Yup, fitted just behind the exhaust silencer a 25 litre will fit. On a maxi chassis l4 body like mine a 55 litre will fit behind the rear axle and in front of spare wheel.

D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back