Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Just been reading in practical motorhome about a guy who's gas tank partly fell off as he was driving, they heard the grinding sound coming from under the van and stopped immediately. It turned out that the metal strapping holding the tank in place had gone rusty. The strapping was covered in PVC so although the owner had checked them he could not see the rust. The water had got inside the PVC outer and the rust was the result.

They were lucky inasmuch that while the tank fell off none of the pipes were ruptured, and once recovered they easily refitted their tank and were soon back on their way. If you have an under slung tank then don't leave it too long between inspections, you might not be so lucky as those guys:Eeek:

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Yes Jim I have heard of this before.
Just had my camper in for it's Medical (MOT) today and I mentioned this to the tester. Not on the list of test items was the reply. So whilst it was up on the ramp I had a good look over it myself. It is four years old now and just starting to show a few bubbles on the bottom of the tank so it will be out with the wire brush and Red Hammerite as soon as the weather drys up a bit

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
best way round this is to get stainless straps as they dont rust but that said they do snap.
and maybe have an extra one fitted so if one fails the tank wont fall off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Mine are cradled in 50mm X 6mm angle and undersealed , will probably last me out :thumb:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
The one on my RV was also in a cradle made from girders...

proper job.. as you would expect from a Yank .. :thumb:

So is ours ......as you would expect from a good professional English company ....

....Autogas 2000 near Thirsk in Yorkshire
:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back