undercoating 2006 Suntor 590 RL (1 Viewer)

Paul and Jeannette

Free Member
Oct 10, 2011
lincoln, lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
20 years on and off
What is the best thing to recoat the underneath of the floor to protect it. I have the skirts off at present so have easy access. Any recommendations please.

OP
OP
Paul and Jeannette

Paul and Jeannette

Free Member
Oct 10, 2011
lincoln, lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
20 years on and off
Ì was looking for advice on the underneath wooden floor which is plywood by the looks of it.
Are the recommendations suitable for wood and metal.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
There were a lot of problems with Swift flooring on that particular range, probably due to the manufacturer attempting to seal them, not making a proper job of it and just trapping moisture in, resulting in extensive wood rot. That appears to have been overcome now and, hopefully, yours is sound to start with. I'm no expert but I'd go with a good wood preservative, suitable for the plywood the floor is made of. I don't think I'd try and seal it though as you could well end up with the aforementioned damp problem. I'm sure someone will be along shortly with a recommendation.

We've got a Swift Bolero of 2007 vintage and a wooden floor with no sealant or protective coating. It is checked once a year for any problems and so far, fingers crossed, no signs of any problems.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
I'd use clear cuprinol or similar. It is designed to protect wood and has the ability to soak in easily, a couple of coats brushed or sprayed will certainly extend the life of any timber, providing it is clean, sound, grease free and not coated with a previous impervious layer, paint or similar as it needs to soak into the substate of the plywood.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I'd use clear cuprinol or similar. It is designed to protect wood and has the ability to soak in easily, a couple of coats brushed or sprayed will certainly extend the life of any timber, providing it is clean, sound, grease free and not coated with a previous impervious layer, paint or similar as it needs to soak into the substate of the plywood.
I agree with this having owned a Swift Sundance with the floor “problem”. We bought it second hand, from a dealer, and found out very quickly that some parts of the floor were rotten.

It was repaired under the dealer warranty by our local Approved Workshop which we have used for thirty years, both caravans and motorhomes.

Having replaced four sections they thoroughly soaked the underside, and it’s edges with Cuprinol. Three coats I think. As they said, it works on fences etc which are exposed to rain all the time. The undersides of motorhomes are only exposed to water when driving in wet weather.

Their only caveats were,

Make sure the wood is dry before Application.
Re-apply every two years.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back