Under Van Protection (1 Viewer)

Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
So, having now actual got a pick up date of 8th December, have started to think about a couple of things to try and get done early on.
Firstly, am going to change the standard fitment Continentals tyres to some Michelin Cross climates, as will be using the van all year round.
Then I have been thinking about getting some protection underneath the Van.
What level of protection do Fiat provide on their vans, if any?
We are planning on keeping this Camper long term, so thought it would be a good idea to get some protection early on, thinking about using something like this:-
35F72C17-7F5C-4FD4-A951-49139FF65F0D.jpeg
Can get a spray attachment to get inside the box section, and then generally apply underneath.
What are peoples thoughts?
A good idea, or is there good levels of protection built in.
Thanks.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Is corrosion (rust) a thing nowadays? I tend to keep my cars long term and have not seen rust since I had a 1990 car. My current 13 year old Renault is immaculate and I've never done much to it other than wash it occasionally.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
My MOT man suggested it last week he swears by it and has vintage vehicles himself

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
What age?
I think the van we had in yesterday was a 66 registered vehicle.
LPG tank was completely rusted and underneath the van wasn’t pretty, wouldn’t say it was structural yet but if it was mine it would be gone .
Vans from anywhere near the sea or even those that spend a lot of time at the seaside seem particularly bad .
It does seem to be most makes though to be honest.
Not sure what the manufacturers design life for a van is but I can’t imagine it’s many years these days.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our first Hymer was a Tramp on a 2008 Fiat chassis had it 6 years light rust on the Hymer chassis extensions none on the Fiat bits. Last two have had Alko Chassis no problems with them. We live 200 yds from the sea.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Our first Hymer was a Tramp on a 2008 Fiat chassis had it 6 years light rust on the Hymer chassis extensions none on the Fiat bits. Last two have had Alko Chassis no problems with them. We live 200 yds from the sea.
I will try and remember to get some pictures of the next bad one we get in .
I have literally just been talking with Lanogaurd about either just doing our vans or possibly adding it as a service we offer in the workshop.
Still thinking about it at the moment.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
So, having now actual got a pick up date of 8th December, have started to think about a couple of things to try and get done early on.
Firstly, am going to change the standard fitment Continentals tyres to some Michelin Cross climates, as will be using the van all year round.
Then I have been thinking about getting some protection underneath the Van.
What level of protection do Fiat provide on their vans, if any?
We are planning on keeping this Camper long term, so thought it would be a good idea to get some protection early on, thinking about using something like this:-
View attachment 689312
Can get a spray attachment to get inside the box section, and then generally apply underneath.
What are peoples thoughts?
A good idea, or is there good levels of protection built in.
Thanks.
Hi, consider the Continental Vancontact 4 seasons tyres, better imo than the Michelin.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Fiat & Al-Ko chassis are both galvanised so shouldn't need any treatment.
My 2003 Fiat got scrapped due to rust. My 2010 Vivaro is definately galvanised but is starting to show rust in places.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
You keep a house 200yds from the sea, your never there :rofl:

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I had a 2007 Ducato which started life as a work van. There was rust on brackets in the engine bay and all over the after market towbar. I did have some rust bubbles come up through the paint on the cill under the driver's door. But that was it.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Having watched a you tube video on applying Lanoguard it looks easy to apply as you don't need much prep other than maybe a power wash beforehand, and you can spray it liberally on all steel, plastics, and rubber bushes, as it made from Lanoline, and its Opaque in colour so wont look too bad either.
However, I was surprised to find that this treatment needs to be re-done at regular intervals to maintain protection, (see quote below)
LES
Quote:

How often should you use Lanoguard?

Lanoguard has been designed for yearly/seasonal applications. It is a very easy application which fits in with your car care routine – very low prep, and a 20-30 minute application. It should be topped up at least once a year to ensure continuous protection.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Having watched a you tube video on applying Lanoguard it looks easy to apply as you don't need much prep other than maybe a power wash beforehand, and you can spray it liberally on all steel, plastics, and rubber bushes, as it made from Lanoline, and its Opaque in colour so wont look too bad either.
However, I was surprised to find that this treatment needs to be re-done at regular intervals to maintain protection, (see quote below)
LES
Quote:

How often should you use Lanoguard?

Lanoguard has been designed for yearly/seasonal applications. It is a very easy application which fits in with your car care routine – very low prep, and a 20-30 minute application. It should be topped up at least once a year to ensure continuous protection.

I did mine the first time in December 2020. I did it again, with the leftovers from the first coat, a couple of months ago.

I could see the bits I’d missed first time, mainly the metal banding used to fix the waste tank in place etc. I’ll do it again next year as the second time I did it it took about 1 hour. Well worth the hour of my time.👍

Over 9000 miles of all weathers, down as far as the French Med coast. 😁

Nov 19, 2010
Walking the dog
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 Starline
Exp
since 2012
I did mine the first time in December 2020. I did it again, with the leftovers from the first coat, a couple of months ago.

I could see the bits I’d missed first time, mainly the metal banding used to fix the waste tank in place etc. I’ll do it again next year as the second time I did it it took about 1 hour. Well worth the hour of my time.👍

Over 9000 miles of all weathers, down as far as the French Med coast. 😁
Similar experience. Whilst the chassis is galvanised, there are items like the rear axle and cradle under the engine that need looking after.

I did mine when new and used Waxoyl which I found to be good. I've done it a couple of times since (5.5yrs) and think it's worth an hour of my time.

Must be a Sapper thing 🤔🤣

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
By saying it will last for 5 years wouldn't be much good for their sales figures. ;)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Why is it when someone quotes "this should take 20-30 minutes" as above, you know that means all afternoon by the time you get started and tidy up afterwards. :unsure:
Of course I am allowing for the eagle eyed most of us are when doing these jobs...goes something like...oh look at that!, I might as well do that as well while I am under here:rolleyes:
I am now even thinking...Carpet Sample & Firm Dry Rally Field, rather than sloping drive....You See?...Thats me forward thinking, I will add it to the list.;)
LES

Feb 6, 2019
Santa Maria de Palautordera, Barcelona, Spain
Funster No
MH
LMC Liberty 560 1992
Exp
Since 2017
I've had five years of 'corrosion damage' and 'intrusions' but my 1992 Ducato keeps passing the Spanish MOT every 6 months (when I remember to bring it!). It came from Germany via Poland and hasn't had any issues in 200.000kms of motoring - I'm thinking vegetable oil!

Stealaway

Free Member
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
My 2012 Ducato was as good as the day I bought it, when I sold it 2019.
When I traded it in to the dealer he couldn't care a toss about the underneath - or the service record.
How long do you people expect to keep a van?
I'm looking for another one after only a few years.
Save your money.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I think The Merc Sprinter Vans need a lot more T&C regarding corrosion, surprising really, as none of my German BMW cars have ever rusted in the last 25 years.
Anyone remember Lancia? ;) They were pulled from the UK market due to rust problems, even from new.
LES

Jun 27, 2021
Orpington, UK
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
Waxoil in spray cans gets into the tightest places, wear gloves as can get messy.

Oct 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway EB
Exp
New
Bilt Hamber is good stuff. I've used Dynax both in spray and brush on. Spray cans with extension tube are useful for getting into box sections/hidden areas.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Why is it when someone quotes "this should take 20-30 minutes" as above, you know that means all afternoon by the time you get started and tidy up afterwards. :unsure:
Of course I am allowing for the eagle eyed most of us are when doing these jobs...goes something like...oh look at that!, I might as well do that as well while I am under here:rolleyes:
I am now even thinking...Carpet Sample & Firm Dry Rally Field, rather than sloping drive....You See?...Thats me forward thinking, I will add it to the list.;)
LES

Once everything is set up and ready to go…..kettle on, tea made in pint size mug, then out to van.

Look at the job, talk to my neighbour, look at the job, tea finished……get on with it.👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back