Under the radar till persona non grata or what? (1 Viewer)

Nomad Plan

Free Member
Aug 28, 2020
Now full timing on the continent
Funster No
MH
2007 AT Cheiftain
Exp
I'm a newbie
portugese sunset.jpg

Happy New Year and may you all remain warm and well,

So not wishing for early onset arthritis and a lot of creaking, we've jumped into full timing and found ourselves in Lisbon for Christmas, we are now considering our next move... From what I read and hear there is probably more than 20,000 FT's under the radar in Portugal and maybe 3,000,000 in Europe.
Whilst we have the option and may find ourselves in the Balkans come April fools Day! Other host countries benefit from older travellers living off savings and paying local taxes avoiding Northern European winters.
So who does what... ? Europe offer a solution? or Boris sort something? or do we hide in the hills?

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Like the picture (y)
Depends on the definition of being under the radar
Most are not really under the radar they are just not doing anything to get the interest of the authority's where they are
The 90 day thing may cause issues for some that have not had issues up to now

I think that sums up my position in Poland or the last 10 years. I was not in the country illegally as being British when UK was a EU State I needed no permission and for tax all income is paid and taxed in UK. I just had no need to tell the Polish government I was here.

Until the 90 day rule was looming after Brexit. So I am now officially here but it really makess no difference to my life as I will still not pay tax here, i am registered for health insurance and I will get a Permanent Resdident's Card for unlimited travel in Schengen/EU.

I will still have to take the MH to UK for MOT because they will not register RHD vehicles here, unless the Minister gives me an exemption - unlikely.

So I was under the radar as far as Polish authorities but not UK, so only half under.

Geoff

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Paranoid or what?

Just because they can doesn't mean they do.

Let's face it... no one is in the least bit interested in my movements, phone calls or posting on the internet... not even the people I am visiting, phoning or posting about...

JJ :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Agreed, thats why if someone did want to go this way, it will be if as and when they want to return to Schengen that they will have quite an issue
Not necessarily. You can still go out the Uk the way you came in.:giggle:

Then you have the people here with up to 3 legal passports who have been amassing them over the last few years.:oops:

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Not necessarily. You can still go out the Uk the way you came in.:giggle:

Then you have the people here with up to 3 legal passports who have been amassing them over the last few years.:oops:
Hadnt thought about the dual/treble passport thing.

The Ireland route was one way of them not knowing how you got back in (I think) by just buying foot passenger tickets on day 89 and failing to get on.
5 years later they ask you when you left and you say you left that route.
You ll get well hammered if they proved you didnt !

So much easier to stick to the rules !

Upvote 0

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs

Under the radar till persona non grata or what?​

..................................................................................................................

One has to ask "Why"....

If it`s because you have broken the law or are wanted for some misdemeanor or something more serious, ie murder or tax evasion or what ever...

What fun in looking over your shoulder all the time.. They will catch you some time...

If non of the previous... You will be breaking the law... when your insurance & MOT run out, if British Registered...

I know from friends who have been in Spain for months with English registered cars that have been caught out... Even after they said we won`t use the car very often... why take a chance..

Why put yourself through all the hastle...:think:

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This thread is getting carried away now, no one was on about illegal stuff but just doing your own thing with no rules and stuff.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Please forgive my naive stupidity,I’m only a simple country boy..........but exactly what is the point of trying to stay “under the radar”??

Seems a bit pointless,and I’d spend half my time looking over my shoulder to see who‘s after me.:(:(:cautious::rolleyes:
Can somebody please answer my question.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nomad Plan

Nomad Plan

Free Member
Aug 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
2007 AT Cheiftain
Exp
I'm a newbie
Much more difficult to hide under the radar now as wildcamping is now illegal in Portugal; I guess that you'll be more likely to be visited by the Police who'll be checking your paper work. I guess that campsites will check your IDs.
Yup I can confirm that we've had to hand our passports over on sites.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
The staying under the radar in this context has been interpreted by me as staying over in the Schengen region for more than 90 days in the allotted 180 and not highlighting your presence to the powers that be.
Thank you.

If that is the case,I’m a little bit surprised it’s being aired on a public forum Jim .

Like I said,I’m just a naive and simple country boy,but I like to be within the law.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nomad Plan

Nomad Plan

Free Member
Aug 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
2007 AT Cheiftain
Exp
I'm a newbie
I still think that they wont be checking up on you.

You go into an ACSI site having booked using your phone and pay on your credit card having been in France for 300 days.

The campsite dont know how long you have been there, the phone company (presuming you have a local mobile) arent interested, and the credit card company arent going to tell. If you post on here and your flag comes up there is the potential of another person contacting the authorities to let them know so just use a VPN to say youre in Croatia or America or UK.

The powers that be in this case will be border enforcement agents and they will catch you on the way back and then they will have all the evidence. But if you stay out there and keep yourself to yourself I just dont see how they will catch actually committing the offence til you return.

I could be wrong though
Thank you all for every response most of which we're witty, amusing, informative and even the off piste made me gurgle.
Whilst I asked a question and suggested a multiple choice option as a solution, I was using some artistic license in my phrasing and the question was meant to be a broader analogy of what many people maybe considering... indeed, I have since found threads that are in the same vein.
I am very much aware that there isn't any real hope of hiding out anymore, indeed we left city life for the countryside, where we were still within tentacles reach of our government, the system and 24/7 news.

On a personal note, I'm very happy to have joined this forum which has been very informative, enjoyable and aspire to be amusing and provocative myself. I've no intention of breaking any laws and will cautiously trudge along popping in here and there, we love the UK and look forward to a few warm months to explore more and renew our MOT!

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
When I had a boat in Greece and the MH, which I could have used and parked in another EU country, and also have gone to UK I had a plan to spend approx. 4 months in each country, thus never needing to register as 'resident' nor 'tax resident, since one would not exceed the 183 days requirement.

This plan is more difficult to operate now UK is out of EU, but it could still work if one were to incorporate Turkey in the plan but staying more than 3 months in Turkey or leaving a MH or boat there is fraught.

I n my case the plan was ditched because I came to live with Basia in Poland because of her ancient Mother. Also i disposed of the boat.

The plan may be revived at some point.

It could be used by others, especially if like the Morocco snowbirds do they leave the Schengen area.

I even think it could be used to be not liable for tax anywhere, but tax authorities are tightening up by taxing income at source or imposing Withholding tax.

There are still ways around systems if one is prepared to live that sort of lifestyle, but with the extra income saved it could be quite comfortable.

For all I know some members may already be doing this.

Geoff

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back