under-seal advice (1 Viewer)

Sep 22, 2017
Funster No
I saw a pretty good well informed video about linseed oil paint once and at the end, they said they were going to underseal their truck with it!
Would that actually work??

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
It really is horrible stuff. I spent the entirety of my apprenticeship scraping poo off. Shot blaster won't touch it, usually end up scraping half the car off with it.....

This looked ok before we scraped the underseal off....
1570968963751.jpg

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I saw a pretty good well informed video about linseed oil paint once and at the end, they said they were going to underseal their truck with it!
Would that actually work??

It's been great on my sash Windows but you to use it on bare untreated wood

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
It really is horrible stuff. I spent the entirety of my apprenticeship scraping poo off. Shot blaster won't touch it, usually end up scraping half the car off with it.....

This looked ok before we scraped the underseal off....
View attachment 338855
Do you ever get your shells acid dipped.. I contacted a company for a price but they never got back to me, perhaps they couldn't stop laughing after I mentioned Land Rover, the chains would come back out of the tank and there would be nothing left hanging on it I suspect. :eek: :(

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
No never. We cut all the panels off, open any cavities, blast the shell only, then acid wash it by hand (jenolite), then coat with epoxy.... Then the car is ready to start repairing

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Underseal was great back in the good old bad old days.
Bird sh1t welding could be hid up really well to get my old rust buckets through the MOT...

But I would not use it on any of my vehicles nowadays !

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Underseal was great back in the good old bad old days.
Bird sh1t welding could be hid up really well to get my old rust buckets through the MOT...

But I would not use it on any of my vehicles nowadays !
Agreed. Back in the days when Mother was a lad cars had proper steel chassis.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think theres a big difference between rubber based underseal that dries cracks then just traps moisture behind it and something like waxoyl.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I put waxoyl on the Land Rover 2 yrs later it was peeling off, it's no good on older vehicles.
I do same as someone mentioned earlier, I buy packs of aerosol white grease on ebay, never dries, just goes dirty and lasts years ?

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
I have used waxoyl for years on different vehicles including land rovers and find that as long as the surface is clean-- ideally pressure washed--- it will soak into surface rust and stop it , I have never seen it peel of, rather than make nuts and bolts more difficult to remove it makes them easier as they are not rusted!!
I do totally agree with problems of underseal though--- a completely different product

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back