Under 10kg Lightweight Folding Electric Bike Vlec Pocket + From Batribike (1 Viewer)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
At the recent NEC Show Vlec Pocket + Electric Folding Bike was on the Batribike http://www.batribike.com/ stand as a model from France http://www.vlec-cycles.eu/#!product/prd1/4195099341/pocket-+ that they are considering stocking so not on their website yet. At £999 it is definitely a luxury item but it was impressive in its build quality, size & its light weight at just 9.9kg so half the weight of some electric bikes! They did point out that this is designed for short trips not long bike rides but may be ideal for popping out to the shops when away with the motorhome.
We also picked up some vouchers for £50 off new Batribike electric bike until 1st November & £300 off the Batribike Storm electric bike until 31st October- please PM me if you want one of these.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
With 160W motor it's a kids scooter with big wheels:).
All new electric bikes are now :) as have to be assist only after change in UK law.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Would be a big impulse purchase at £999! Ideal Xmas toy for the person who has everything?!
Way out of our budget but know that there are a lot of wealthy Funsters out there who love a new gadget...:imoutahere::)

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
All new electric bikes are now :) as have to be assist only after change in UK law.
It was only a few days ago I was looking in to legal crap regarding scoots and the like..

Drivers of electric scooters are in breach of section 87 and section 143 of the Road Traffic Act 1988. As such drivers require a driving licence and third party insurance. Because these vehicles cannot be licensed for use on a road, they do not come within the categories of vehicle covered by a driving licence. Therefore, any person using an electric scooter on a road, even with the best of intentions, will be violating their driving licence.

Talk about a catch 22 !! ( this also goes for Segways, a whole range of mobility scooters and a few other more oddball modes of transport )

This situation can be traced back to 1835 ( among other legislative land marks ) and is so out of date it should be put with the requirement of taxi drivers to carry a bale of hay !

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Follow up..
I have just this minute ( spooky or what ! ) received an email pointing me at a DfT statement concerning such things..

But the DfT said it had “no plans, at present” to change the law and so Segways can only be ridden legally on private ground such as “on show grounds, in warehouses, on golf courses or in shopping centres”.

This makes a mockery of other rulings where it was decided that 'only special case' uses such as racing and or organised events pertaining to off road use of powered vehicles' all vehicles are subject to the same laws when used off road as on.
That ruling was specifically brought about due to the popularity of motorcycles being used on wasteland and common land

In other words, DfT once again demonstrates it has no idea what is legal and what is not.. The situation has been brought about by the constant flood of new 'mini-laws' being passed by govt to support almost any members whims

As yet I can find no mention of the 'new laws in the UK' that are related to assisted pedal power only usage.. I have found mention of it to bring us in line with certain other EU countries but as yet it seems to be nothing more than a tabled motion ..
Perhaps it has now passed in to law and I am simply unable to find reference.
If you have a link I would appreciate it :)
( Not a link to a newspaper article but to a proper source )

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Scratch that request.
Found the info...

As I suspected, you will be able to use twist and go still as well as assisted type bikes.
here is the bit that is of concern:

Throttle control

‘Twist and gos’ – electric bikes capable of being powered by a throttle alone – will require type approval from January 2016. While ‘twist and gos’ can be type approved by individuals, It is considered likely that larger manufacturers will type approve ‘’twist and gos’ before retailing. Where the power of ‘twist and gos’ cuts out at 15.5mph, they will not be considered motor vehicles in the eyes of the law and will not therefore require registration, tax, insurance and rider licensing.The new law will NOT be backdated so any bikes bought prior to January 2016 will not be affected as ‘grandfather rights’ apply. (This is entirely separate to ‘walk assist mode’ throttles that power the bike to a 6kmh top limit i.e. walking speed, to help you push the bike along, which are not affected by this law update.)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Max motor power was reduced from 300w to 250w and pedal assist only with a max speed under assistance of 15.5mph when the law changed.

160w motor is a cheap option, not law.
The motor is small and the range is short pointing to a small battery to keep the weight down.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back