Uncomfortable travelling seats

Discussion in 'Motorhome Help for the Beginner' started by molson03, Apr 16, 2018 at 9:11 PM.

1. molson03

molson03

Ratings:
    +2
    We've got a '6' berth moho (read 4 berth plus converted dinette for the dog), which has six travelling seats.

However the seats are shaped like an L, with a flat base and very upright back at right angles to the base. For anything other than a short trip, they become a touch uncomfortable - or so I'm told (as I get the drivers seat!).

Has anyone got any advice on how to make them more comfortable? Is there anything on the market that would help?

2. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

Ratings:
    +1,959
    DE3DD342-BD46-4AE3-A464-6A274C9FE09D.jpeg Whenever I see the inside of new vans the dinette seats always look uncomfortable with the straight upright backs, that’s why when I did my conversion I used a mini bus seat which is very comfy.

• Like it Like it x 3
  3. molson03

molson03

Ratings:
    +2
    That makes a lot of sense, much better. I guess they're not ideal for the coach built (like ours) as they take extra room with the reclined seat backs?

I wonder if you can get some sort of sculpted seat cushions to help? I haven't seen anything out there as yet!

4. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +25,544
    You could try getting some wedge seat cushions and using them as back-rests instead, or get some lumber support pads, or make some yourself:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Inflatab...197351&hash=item2cc1260c73:g:1cIAAOSwtGlZHBM2

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Memo...970619?hash=item3b005a077b:g:UAQAAOSwjSJadu7g

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLUE-MES...672875?hash=item52081158eb:g:jvYAAOSwOtVaxTuQ

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ankle-Kn...hash=item1c71b07887:m:mckLJFeZEUVLaoOGX4mGs4g

5. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +1,168
    We put cushions behind the bottom of the backrest to make it angled.
    You can also get angled back rests of ebay.
    Search for. Mesh backrest.

6. Wh05apk

Wh05apk Funster

Ratings:
    +86
    Without wishing to start a british/continental war, I do find the British vans tend to be more upright, its almost a "we build parallel seats like a caravan, if you must have forward facing seats like Johnny foreigner , you'll pay for it" attitude.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +30,030

spoilsport..

8. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Ratings:
    +4,832
    Ours have wedge shaped cushions behind the backrests as standard to give a little bit of rake. We've never used them to carry human passengers though so don't know how effective they are.

9. SpeedyDux

SpeedyDux Funster

Ratings:
    +3,226
    Excellent solution! Some of the PVC dinette seats we tried were too uncomfortable even for lounging, never mind use as belted travel seats. Too firm and upright. Did the designers ever road test them? Obviously not.

Probably the best for travel comfort and safety would seem to be the dinette seat in the Westfalia Columbus 600D. We loved that PVC, but our budget didn't stretch far enough.