Free Member
Jul 30, 2017
Thaxted, Essex.
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion.
Exp
30 years of weekends away motor racing.
This idiot was next to me in a traffic jam yesterday, have you ever seen anything so stupid, and he even put has kids in the back of the car !!
I may even send this picture to VOSA or the Police.

20170824_142108.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Could it be that he/she simply missed putting the lock arm down? Could you not get his/her attention and let them know if their mistake?

D.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I think the lashing with green string means he didn't forget anything Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Fair point Jim, hadn't spotted that, but bleary eyed at this time of the morning and only a small screen on my phone.o

D.

Reactions: Jim

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I don't think the arm will go down as they seem to have a cover over the hitch, could be a lock but not sure.

Martin

PS if you do send the picture to the police make sure you can convince them that somebody other than the driver took the photo as the vehicle is obviously moving(y)

Deleted User
There is a hitch lock still fitted, don't know if the over run brakes would operate like that though.

Dec 29, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7066df
Exp
Since 2014
Perhaps parked up at motorway services and put hitch lock on while they went into services, then forgot to take it off before driving away. Not sure about yellow tie though, may have put that on to remind them to take hitch lock off :D

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Looks like he couldn't get the hitch lock off so how did he manage to get it coupled unless the lock slides back and is meant to stay in place. The leaver that locks engages the friction pads also locks the hitch on. Any undulation or bump in the road it will uncouple, a bit of guy rope ain't going to hold it.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Without knowing what the string is about, there is nothing in that picture that is overtly unsafe or requires the attention of the authorities.

As long as the green pop out (not visible due to angle) on the front of the Al-Ko hitch shows that the hitch is properly engaged with the tow ball, then it is safe.

Putting the arm down only engages the friction pads, which is designed as an anti-snake device and not compulsory.

I used to use the Al-Ko hitch lock which can be seen in the picture, but never travelled with it in situ.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
The lock is an anti theft device for when you are stationery only as it stops the hitch release handle being lifted, but It says on the instructions not to use whilst moving. Maybe he put this on when parked up at services to save theft of caravan and forgot to remove it. The anti snake lock handle cannot be down with this type of lock. Could be an oversight after starting off again. What the lashing is for I don't know but could all be to do with belt and braces theft of caravan whilst at service area. I had one on my folding camper and have driven off with it on before, so it can happen:rolleyes:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Looks like he couldn't get the hitch lock off so how did he manage to get it coupled unless the lock slides back and is meant to stay in place. The leaver that locks engages the friction pads also locks the hitch on. Any undulation or bump in the road it will uncouple, a bit of guy rope ain't going to hold it.
Not quite true Lenny, the big handle only puts pressure on the friction pads it does not lock the hitch on, that is another handle that is under the hitch lock.

Martin

OP
OP
Shiny Paul.

Shiny Paul.

Free Member
Jul 30, 2017
Thaxted, Essex.
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion.
Exp
30 years of weekends away motor racing.
I dont think it was stolen, it was a family with 3 kids, dog, windbreaks buckets spades etc etc

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Without knowing what the string is about, there is nothing in that picture that is overtly unsafe or requires the attention of the authorities.

As long as the green pop out (not visible due to angle) on the front of the Al-Ko hitch shows that the hitch is properly engaged with the tow ball, then it is safe.

Putting the arm down only engages the friction pads, which is designed as an anti-snake device and not compulsory.

I used to use the Al-Ko hitch lock which can be seen in the picture, but never travelled with it in situ.

Not quite true Lenny, the big handle only puts pressure on the friction pads it does not lock the hitch on, that is another handle that is under the hitch lock.

Martin
Brain wasn't in gear what do you expect at 9 am.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
That leaver does not lock the hitch on, it only operates the anti snake!! You can still operate the leaver with Hitchcock on, although it's not reccomended to travel with it in place.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Perhaps he's got a corroded ball and then it would be best not to put second lever, anti sway, down. That type of hitch needs clean ball.;)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Some years ago I was driving behind a caravan on the M60 and thought to myself "Something about that wheel doesn't look right" and a few seconds later it fell off and rolled into the hard shoulder. Needless to say the car and caravan followed it, trailing a shower of sparks. Made me wonder if he'd changed his caravan tyre recently.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Perfectly safe as others have said the handle only operates the stabiliser, the alko lock shouldn't be on while travelling I expect he's forgot to remove it after leaving services or something, no idea what the string is let's hope there wasn't a dog attached to it

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Had a nutter with a 4x4 towing a twin axle van overtake me in the nearside lane .couldnt wait for me to pull over after overtaking a wagon and I was doing 65 mph. Scared me to death. ..

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Never having been a carravanner, so have no idea, but my question is...If its perfectly safe why has he lashed it?

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Every motorway journey we see caravanners who drive it like it's been stolen. 70 mph, no mirror extensions, and snaking in the crosswind.

Have yet to see one with the green string hitch accessory. Is this going to catch on?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Never having been a carravanner, so have no idea, but my question is...If its perfectly safe why has he lashed it?
There's still time Jim;) I can just see you in the Land Rover with a big Airstream following, don't know what the string is for either but I like the dog lead idea, not wishing to inflict any harm to dogs of course:)

Martin

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
No idea what the string is for I'm confused by that, but under that locking plate ( alko hitch lock) there's the normal handle for hitching unhitching the van, it had to be hitched properly as the lock plate wouldn't fit on otherwise, the handle that's sticking up is just the built in stabiliser.
I think the best bet is that he's stopped at services, raised the stabiliser arm and fitted the lock and has forgotten to take it off again ( wife kids probably nipping his head with are we there yet and pass the crisps)
The string is confusing I'd love to know why he's wrapped that round..... May well be to confuse folk in vans passing him and make them think he's tied the caravan on :p

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
tow.jpg

Really looks to me that the hitch would not lock on, so he's lashed it in place. Plonker I reckon.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back