un mothballing cleaning tanks (1 Viewer)

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Ok Its time to un mothball the mh, Ive done a pre check, check, everythings working ok and no leaks I can see so alls good to go

but I feel I need to clean the tanks, both fresh and waist as its been stood far too long,

when we had the C van I used to use a mild solution of milton in the fresh barrels, pump this through the system, leave in pipes for a few hours, then flush into the waist barrels, then flush thought will lots of clean water, Im presuming this will be the same for the M home, or is there a beter way,

I did intend to give the M home a run on bendy roads with the water is in the waist tank to lossen any crud

are there any chemicals I can put down the drains to help clean the tank out (such as SUPER WAIST TANK CLEANER) or is above ok

then I'll drain it all down again till we go away just in case of nasty mr frost

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Cheap orange squash concentrate in the fresh tank driven and then flushed out. Bio washing liquid in the drains and waste tanks,Tescos Valiue bio liquid 80 per litre and is also good for the loo, better than blue.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Cheap orange squash concentrate in the fresh tank driven and then flushed out.

Really?

Bio washing liquid in the drains and waste tanks,Tescos Valiue bio liquid 80 per litre and is also good for the loo, better than blue.

I can see how that works, but the orange?

thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
I must admit I use tesco's own 'milton', put it in fresh water tank and pour down sink and shower drain. After letting it sit in fresh tank for while I open taps and let it run through. I does need a fl;ush through with fresh water after as the taste of milton is not great:shout:

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
I haven't heard of the orange trick, but have spoken to those who have used cheap coca cola at a method of cleaning the grey tanks and preventing nasty niffs ::bigsmile:
I use the ASDA milton method myself :Smile:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Cheap orange squash concentrate in the fresh tank driven and then flushed out. Bio washing liquid in the drains and waste tanks,Tescos Valiue bio liquid 80 per litre and is also good for the loo, better than blue.

Either that or use some cheap imitation Coca Cola for the fresh tank

Petet

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Milton for the water tank , biological washing powder for the waste.
We also put the powder down the shower trap and a spoon down each sink , followed by some hot water from the kettle, after each weekend away.
Keeps things smelling fresh.
Bio washing powder is brilliant for dissolving fat and gunk.
You must use HOT water for it to work though.
Something to do with the enzymes :winky:
Bev

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Couple of litres of cola in the tank and drive around a bit to churn it up was the way I was told it for the waste tanks :Smile:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Have always done fresh water tanks with CAMPDEN tablets from home brewing suppliers, I work on the theory if its good enough to sterilise for beer, wine it must be good for water.

Dave :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
last time i did the fresh tank i chucked a whole liter of milton and a couple of liters of water in.

removed the big red inspection cover and got my arm in and washed it with a sponge.
drew some water through the taps and left it overnight then drained and flushed.

i now use a General Ecology water filter so dont bother with the fresh tank now...with the filter the drinking water is so clean its nearly sterile.

last time i did the grey tank i used a cupful of toilet blue and a couple of gallons of water....drive around to agitate and leave overnight then drain.

figured if it disolves s**t it will disolve any crud in there.

if you can get into the tank then chuck a bag of ice cubes in as well before going for a drive.

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
There you go, Seb lad. Orange you glad you asked?

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
as an aside to this thread, does anybody know how to get milton of a carpit (house) and how to mope up 4 lts of pepsi for the mh

only kidding

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back